Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery voltage and potential replacement

Steff

Trainee
Hi,

If I know I'm not going to drive my 3.4 for a week or so then I plug it into a CTEK MXS 5.0.

Recently when I do this, the CTEK will intermediately stop at stage 5. The description in the manual is 'tests if the battery can hold charge, checks if voltage drops to 12v, batteries that cannot hold charge may need to be replaced'.

It doesn't do it every time but often enough to conclude that the battery isn't holding charge.

The question is, how low can the voltage go and the battery still operate fine? I drove it on Monday and it seemed to start fine. Just wondering if I need to replace right away or just do it as soon as it becomes slow to turn over.

At the same time, I want to avoid the hassle that seems to go with a completely flat battery so would rather replace ahead of that.

Thanks

Have you tested/had the battery tested properly rather than rely on the charger?

I would do that before buying a replacement.

Thanks, just put a volt meter on it. It's showing about 12.5 normally, just over 14 when running (so I guess the alternator is fine) and it drops to about 10.5 when I start the engine.

I'm not sure how low it should go when I start, I know lower single figures is bad but is over 10 fine?

Thanks

10.5 volts on cranking is what a good battery should read .

14 volts running is fine but you really need to have a voltmeter on the battery .. turn lights and any heavy electrical loads on then see what it is at idle .. anything less then 13 volts and your into a worn alternator.

12.5 volts is again a sign of a good battery .

The only other check would be a dedicated battery tester or an acid check which cant be done if the battery is sealed .

If the battery starts the car after 4-5 days without being used in the mean time or connected to a charger then its fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back