Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 warranty printout question

JayC2s

Hi I wondered if anybody can help...
I have recently bought a 997 c2s on an 05 plate.
The car is a one owner car from new with a full main dealer service history coupled with the fact that the car has had a warranty on it for 12 of those years, so all in all a good car.
My question is this...
I have spoken to the main dealers who looked after the car for all those years to get a copy of the warranty work to see what has been done (12 pages in total)
The only thing is I can't seem to make head nor tail what any of it means.
As you can imagine I am particularly interested in seeing if it's had any issues with bore scoring or ims bearings.
On one of the pages there is reference to a 'engine rebuild telephone ?' as well as an ordered crankcase (see pic below). If anyone can share some light it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 53f7e57a_4eed_464b_897a_80d05a4650ce_100.jpeg
    53f7e57a_4eed_464b_897a_80d05a4650ce_100.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 2,200
  • 658b6b6c_eb9c_4caf_9757_8b842dc8f363_175.jpeg
    658b6b6c_eb9c_4caf_9757_8b842dc8f363_175.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 2,200
I Would suggest a call to the OPC that did the work and ask them to explain their codes that will confirm whats been done :thumb:

The centre columns of that print out are not complete so it is difficult to interpret.

I'd ask the dealer to clarify but the part descriptions mentioned indicate that the engine has been apart and that some bits have been replaced.

Whether it's had a rebuild or not .......... :dont know:

Ok thanks for your reply's. Already had a follow up chat with the dealer but she wasn't of much help really, what she did tell me the warrenty repair where the crankcase was mentioned came to about £6500 :eek:
So could be ims...

Hi, the rebuild of my engine by an OPC due to bore scoring cost over £10k and I would expect to see at least 3 of the pistons being replaced:

P997.103.030.31 PISTON 00 3.0 166.99 EACH

A new crankcase alone is circa £3.5k + Vat (after discount), so your theory about an IMS failure could be true. The previous owner could request a copy of any invoices from the OPC on your behalf, that's how I got mine. Hope that helps!

part number 997.101.001.06 is only the two crankcase halves without any internals and attachments. This is not a short engine with all internals.

I also see 12 connection rod bearings (996.103.121.62) and connecting rod bolts (997.103.115.01) on the list.

So I doubt if IMS shaft with bearing has been done or updated to the later and larger type bearing as IMS part number is not mentioned on the list.

Something else must have going on resulting in a new crankcase and connection rod bearings. On list is mentioned "customer has noticed water is c..." so a water leaking complain and maybe a cracked crankcase?

Anyways it all happened in 2014 and the car is still on the road so all must be good. Just drive it and stop reading about IMS, will ruin your day :D

Attachments

• capture_312.jpg
    capture_312.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,945
Ok thanks for all the reply's. Was toying with the idea of putting a Porsche warrenty on anyway! piece of mind driving and all that :driving:
While on the subject I understand that Porsche will only supply a warranty on cars with a Porsche embossed moll battery?! But would the car still pass with a moll battery without the Porsche sticker? Apologies if that should have been in another thread.

deMort said:
If it doesnt look like the image .. ie no Porsche sticker then it will fail .. or at least it should fail .
Thanks for the pic dEmort I'm off to find some Porsche stickers :thumb:

I can loan a Moll battery to anyone with this problem, once you have passed the inspection you can change back to the original battery. This will not void the warranty. I am in Cheshire. South Cheshire of course!

rigsby99 said:
I can loan a Moll battery to anyone with this problem, once you have passed the inspection you can change back to the original battery. This will not void the warranty. I am in Cheshire. South Cheshire of course!
That is really kind of you and a really good idea come to think of it, only problem is that I live in Essex which is a 6 hour round trip! Thanks anyway :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back