Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Marky911 said:
PS Did you have to make the teas all day at CG too, or were we hustled? :grin:

I shared tea making on day 1 with various others around, on day 2 another customer took over. Result!

that cabin is looking awesome buddy 8)

and yep that must be the norm at CG i was definitely the brew b**ch all day when i was there :floor:

Brew bitch. :grin:

Thanks Lee, I haven't seen any updates on yours lately. All good I take it?
To be honest updates will slow down on mine soon as I'm going to enjoy not spending money on it at such a rate.
Future updates should hopefully be about where I've been in the car, rather than what I've been doing to it. :wink:

Pleased to see everyone gets put on tea duties then. :grin:
Likewise it didn't bother us one bit. Part of the team building I guess. :D
Craig will cover it in his thread as the visit was for his car, but like I say it was a masterclass in suspension and Chris and Pete made us feel totally welcome.
They deserve all the praise they get. It's black magic to me. :worship:

Not that there has much gone on but updated it just for you buddy :thumb:

My Tequipment handbrake has arrived - problem is that it's in London and I'm in New York, so it's challenging to examine it.

Can the section that you grip be removed without damaging the lever? Ideally I'd just send that section off to get the leather grip re-made in Alcantara, then fit the metal section and new grip to the existing lever.

Feasible or madness?

Changing only the grip part is totally doable Neil.
Old grip slides off with a decent shove.
There were two "fins" at 4 o clock and 8 o clock positions, cast into my metal handbrake assembly. These needed filing off to enable the Tequipment grip to slide on.
Then you clip the metal insert in.
I also used the silver handbrake button from the Tequipment one.
This just pulls out the end.

The metal scripted part is glued onto the handbrake assembly. Getting mine off was an, erm, learning experience. :grin:

When Craig done his after, he then knew just to heat the metal part up with a heat gun and it melted the glue underneath.
Neither of ours have been glued back on, they just seem to stay on anyway.

While you're on, I bet you haven't got one of these.

Dah-dah! Underpants for your steering wheel. :D

So I had some good news from the hospital today about my health so I have my mojo back for the car.
I've been pottering on anyway to keep occupied but my concentration has been shot this last week.

So Craig popped past tonight and we did a few trinkety finishing type jobs.

I've already mentioned the fact that I'd left the old pretensioned seat belt buckle on my old drivers seat so I borrowed the passenger one for the new drivers seat.

So tonight we fitted the second hand passenger side one I'd bought, as we are away in the car this weekend so it needs two functioning seat belts. :wink:

Fitted with new bolt as old bolt was also left on original drivers seat -

I then fitted the centre console delete blanking plate that I'd ordered -

Fitted -

I mentioned the bolts through my seat side mounts looked a bit too agricultural for my liking, so I bought some dome heads to replace the hex heads.

Before -

After -

We then moved onto the sill kick plates.
Now we removed the old ones before my respray and they were held on with a liquid form of super reinforced unobtainium. :grin:

So they looked like this after removal -

Well little did I know they are £350 per pair from Porsche. :eek:

So I bought some carbon fibre ones from D911 for £70 per pair.
A little blingy but they would match the seat backs nicely.
However the quality wasn't there so I sent them back.
You can see the corner of an "r" is missing in one of the decals.

Anyway Craig found a brand new pair from 9apart or somewhere for £195.
Happy days.

Area prepped -

Fitted -

I never realised the difference they make. 8)

Next I dug out the reproduction vin sticker from Carbone for the drivers door jamb.
Again our resident "Won't stop til it's perfect" expert Dammit, found this source so thanks again. :thumb:

Not identical to original but worth fitting for the sake of £35 -

How it was before respray -

Now -

Again, it's the little details that add up.

The car will get a good wash tomorrow ready for the weekend.
:thumb:

Hi Graeme, yes Glenshee.
It was a bit of a last minute thing for me and I was just tagging onto someone else's run.
If I organise one I'll probably mention it on here as I know there's yourself and a few others up that way. :thumb:
The only thing is, if the group gets too big there's just no way to keep it together. Sat nav maps mean everyone knows the route but it's not as much fun for the back guy if he ends up doing 300 miles on his own.
There were 7 cars on Saturday and a little bit of traffic here and there.

£40 for brand new proper ones?? Bargain of the century.

Right, so as my pic suggests, we've just had a great weekend up in Scotland.

A chance email chat with Y2K on here, about his move to a GT3, revealed he and a couple of other lads were heading up from Southampton and Cheshire for a week long road trip. They'd be passing right through my area and on into Scotland so kindly invited us along.

As it turned out we would have to catch up with them on Friday night in Falkirk, Scotland, which funnily enough is where I bought the car from. Until driving up to Falkirk last week, the longest journey the car had done was driving it home from there when I bought it, 2 and a half years ago. :grin:
So I picked Craig up at 4pm on Friday and off we went.

By the time we got up there, washed the car and brimmed it full of V-power, we managed to meet up for a quick drink with YK and his two mates Marv and Barry, at the hotel.

Saturday was the main day. 320 miles of driving, which equated to an 11 hour journey by the time we had lunch and petrol stops etc. There was a touch more traffic than we might have liked but we still had plenty of fast flowing sections.

Not many pictures, as we were too busy enjoying ourselves, but anyway...

Just managed to get the car washed before it got dark on Friday night -

We met with another 3 cars on Saturday morning, some lads from Scotland who YK knows, and we headed off. I can't remember the whole route but the first stop was Glenshee, as previously pictured.

After that it was onto Lecht via Braemar -

We had a lunch stop in Grantown I think it was, then hit the road again.
On past Aviemore and Kincraig, then picked up the A86, then A82 to Fort William.

I haven't a clue where this was or how far round our route it was. :dont know: -

The Scottish lads left us after Corran.
We then followed the A82 and headed in over past Crianlarich and down past Loch Lomond, to our hotel for the night in Dumbarton.

Sunday we drove some great roads. We travelled down past Ayr, Straiton, Bargrennan and onto Newton Stewart. Then it was across to Talnotry and a lunch stop at Clatteringshaw Reservoir.

The only pic of the day as it was chucking it down by Clatteringshaw Reservoir -

After lunch we split up, the other lads were going for a play before finding their next hotel, whilst me and Craig headed down to Carlisle and across to Newcastle.

Back home. 3 days, 750 miles and a few stone chips later. We had a fantastic time! -

I've got some cleaning to do mind -

This was a good shakedown test for the car, for a couple of reasons. The first being we've had it pulled to bits that much for work and the second being that I'd hardly used the car since buying it, until this trip, so I still didn't really know it or trust it 100%.

I'm pleased to say though it didn't use a drop of oil or water and performed faultlessly. It wasn't a leisurely cruise either, the engine definitely earned its keep this weekend.

So that may be the biggest trip it does this year. We'll definitely be heading back to Scotland next year, probably to incorporate some of the NC500 and some of what we done this time. I'm hoping to do a Euro tour with my wife next summer too, but that's still to sort.

So great roads, great company and the car was super.
Massive thanks to YK and co for having us and for planning the routes etc.
After the week I had last week, that was just what I needed. :thumb:

One last thing. We came to a huge traffic jam at one point and the police had the road closed away in the distance.
When we finally got moving and went past, there was a camera crew and a Porsche under a cover. I guessed it was just a Cayman or something but YK said it was the Porsche Mission E being filmed for the launch of Forza Horizon on the Xbox games console. Even though I'm 41 now, I do have an Xbox one and the Forza games are actually the only only games I buy for it, so I wished I'd seen a bit more of what was going on now, as I'm a nerd. :wink:
Anyway, boring anecdote really... :D

This is a really nice touch:

IMG_1213.jpg

Cheers lads.

Thanks for the info Graeme. Whenever I pass somewhere like that I think I'll remember this for when I come back with my wife, but by the time I get home it's all a blur. :wink:

Still haven't washed the car. I'll have to do it at some point though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back