Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Base spec 997.2 C2

jaymzz

Hi all,

I am currently on the look out for my first Porsche and have my heart set on a 997.2 C2 or C2S. This weekend I went to look at a beautiful, low mileage, manual C2 which seems competitively priced. I am tempted to make an offer on the car but have reservations as its literally a base spec Carerra with no optional equipment. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts before I take the plunge? The last thing I want is a car that I can't resell when the time comes.

Regards,
James

Not sure I've ever seen a zero option one. Someone will probably buy it at the right price. Might take a bit longer to sell, but I think it would sell.

If the price is right, go for it.

It's a sports car, don't worry too much about extras.

Hello James. I did exactly this a few months ago, simply because the price, mileage and condition of the car (a base C2) was too good to miss. It was probably £5k cheaper than a similar C2S.

The only thing I'd say a C2S really has over the C2, in my opinion, is the lower ride height you get with PASM. But you can have lowering springs fitted for a few hundred pounds to sort that out.

Would a bone stock C2 be hard to re-sell? Perhaps, but then again if you've found a mint one then go for it, I say. And you can always retro-fit things like larger wheels should you wish.

Mike.

I specifically searched out a base spec Carrera 2. That might sound crazy but I test-drove a C4Spdk at the same dealer after trying the C2 and it was like driving a completely different car.

I very luckily get to drive my best friend's GT3rs and the C2 is very much like a slower version of that.

Sometimes less is more.

LaurasOtherHalf said:
I specifically searched out a base spec Carrera 2. That might sound crazy but I test-drove a C4Spdk at the same dealer after trying the C2 and it was like driving a completely different car.

I very luckily get to drive my best friend's GT3rs and the C2 is very much like a slower version of that.

Sometimes less is more.

Great post! :thumbs:

I'd personally wait for the spec you want.
You can retrofit a lot of stuff (sports chrono, sports exhaust, cruise etc.) but they're expensive and you might as well get the right spec in the first place. They're not exactly rare cars so there will be plenty to choose from, unless you're picky on things like colour.

Thank you all for the input. Some very valid points made.

I am still in two minds about this one which makes me think i should leave it for now and see what else is out there.

Out of interest is there a document/webpage somewhere that lists the standard equipment for each 997.2 trim level?

Cheers,
James

What are your plans? Would you want to modify your car, or keep it as it is? It might eventually actually sell better if you did some simple stuff like add lowering springs, sports seats, a noisier exhaust, nicer rims.

MaxA said:
What are your plans? Would you want to modify your car, or keep it as it is? It might eventually actually sell better if you did some simple stuff like add lowering springs, sports seats, a noisier exhaust, nicer rims.
I like to keep my cars as OEM as possible. If i were to get this car, I'd probably put set of genuine Porsche 19s on it. I may consider lowering springs if needed, but only if this can be done without destroying the ride quality. Other than that, I'd personally be happy with the spec it has.

Its a tough one!

What's your budget?

I would try and find a higher spec car as you can afford. I am also with you on not Modding cars, only things I've done are a new head unit because PCM's are useless and an SSK :)

Sounds like what you want is a manual Gen 2 C2S. You like to drive a car, not waft around in a C4S with a PDK. I tried a C4S, it's heavier, wasn't as involving, and for me any car has to be a manual......

Mine is also a C2 but does have a £10k worth of extras which includes PASM.

I am very happy with it and have never thought the car needs more power.

It would have cost me another £5k to find a C2S to my liking and I don't think it is worth the money.

There's no doubt that the more options a car has the more desirable it will be come resale time but it will always be dearer to buy one.

The most important thing is to buy a car that suits you - and your budget. A compromise on something like cruise control can then be made if necessary as it can be retro-fitted. Obviously something like a sunroof would be a bit more difficult. :D

If the history, mileage, colour combo and price are right for you I'd go for it. It'll fetch less in later life but you should be paying less to buy it now.

Good Luck :thumb:

I bought my 997.2 c2 from JZM 3 years ago for £37.9k on 37k miles. Black on black, same spec. (Minus heated seats)

They wouldn't budge on price but I got them to throw in a major service inc spark plugs, 4 new tyres, and a Porsche group 2 child seat. (That lot would have cost me ~£2500). I think the car I bought was SOR.

I have no regrets of not going for a c2s. Aesthetically it could be lower but handling and planted-ness is fine. Regarding power/speed, it doesn't need to be any quicker, the fun is in the corners not the straights. It's pokey enough for overtaking.

The only 'nice to have' spec change that I would have preferred is hard-backed sports seats rather than comfort 'tombstones'. This may affect resale if the buyer knows their 911's. I have no plans to sell though :)

Happy to take you out in mine if you're near derby.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back