Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2004 996 TT Turbo Chargers

glennfpayton

Well I had my MOT and Service at 9E on Friday and whilst the MOT was good, and obviously the service from Adam and the team was outstanding and great value for money, on the inspection they noticed that my Bank 2 turbo will need a refurb soon due to corrosion. I know that a number of members on here have had the same issue, but I was wondering if there are any replacement turbos that can be fitted rather than the K16s that are standard on the 996 TT. Can K24 turbos be fitted for instance? Just looking at the options that may be available prior to getting the old turbos refurbished. I am not an expert on Porsche, so forgive me if I have got the wrong turbo numbers!

Any help appreciated, as a refurb is around £2600 per turbo so looking for options.

Regards

Glenn

99% sure K24's will go on :thumbs:

Speak to 911Tom or Ragpicker and they will help you spend your money....as well as get you 700-1000 bhp :eek:

:thumb:

Thanks HSC911 for the info, that is great. Will see what advice comes through.

Regards

Glenn :D

Lots of turbos can be made to fit, but if you're looking at OE then you're looking at K16 or K24. Then you move onto hybrid blowers. Whatever charger you choose will need a remap in order to use the car safely.

The trouble is it is a very slippery slope, if you change the turbos for something bigger you will then be limited by the stock injectors, exhaust and the stock intercoolers - ie unless you change them you won't get the best out of the new blowers.

So now a simple change of turbo has escalated into multi £thousand... And you're only really at the tip of the iceberg.

Its a fun journey though, but you really reduce the reliability of the stock engine the further you go.

Decisions, decisions..... :thumb:

Thanks ragpicker,

My car has the stage 2 9e package on already so had a bit of work done. I was wondering if k24 turbos would fit with little issues in regards to fitment; just wanting to keep my options open and look at the alternatives to just getting my k16 rebuilt. I know there are a lot of very high bhp 911 tts, but to be honest the power I currently have is more than enough and not really looking for much more power, just the option of looking at what I could fit, and if I could get more BHP then that would be a happy bonus!

Thanks for the response.

Best Regards

Glenn

No worries!

In that case. you'll have no problem fitting either K16 or K24, or hybrid versions of these turbos, the fittings are identical. As I say, you will need a tune if you go for a turbo which flows more air than the standard K16 (and that is basically any other turbo other than a K16). You will, however, get more ponies with it and, in the case of the K24 based turbos, the power band in a different place.

:grin:

I'm sure Ken would be the person to speak to though if you're one of 9e's customers, he is very generous with his excellent advice.

Ragpicker has you well and truly covered there. If your turbos can be refurbed then it will be well worth discussing hybrid options with ken. However as ragpicker says you'll need a remap to make it safe and to fully benefit from the turbos you'll need to upgrade;

Clutch if a manual car
Exhaust
Intercoolers
Injectors (engine out (unless you are a brave diyer))
Possibly fuel pump
Brakes ideally

You are in safe hands with 9e. Basically hybrid k16 turbos will give you a 9e30 package. This is IMO the best package for fast B road and track driving. Absolutely tried and tested package that has been proven for many years.

Thanks everyone. The car is pretty fast as is, and to be honest if it got any faster I would probably lose my licence! Dont want to get into remap territory and as you all say, as 9e are doing the work they will know what is best for the car. I was really impressed with the service I received from 9e, excellent to say the least.

Thanks for all the comments, at least I have learnt something about turbo sizes!

Regards

Glenn

If it doesn't need a refurb now (no cracks or leaks), and you're not interested in upgrading them, then I'd suggest you leave them alone and don't touch them. You may have thousands of miles left in them, which could equate to years of use if you only use the car lightly.

No point in paying loads of money for no noticeable benefit...wait till it breaks and then get modified k16s like many of have done. Also shop around... swapping out the turbos isn't as difficult as some would like you to think, someone good with spanners could do this so it neednt be so expensive.

Thanks S4ch

My turbos have sign of corrosion, bank 2 worse than bank 1. I only do about 1000 miles a year so I dont need to change yet, but it is the only thing the car needs so looking at options open to me. Like others I have done a few searches and found some new k24 turbos on line (K16 harder to find for some reason); not sure if they are any good, but they do look reasonable to purchase so just looking at options. Thanks for the info on changing them; i expected it to be a really difficult job to do.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks for the link Searider, that does look good value for new turbos, rather than refurbed. The £2600 includes fitting and new oil pipes etc, I have no idea how hard turbos are to fit so I cant comment on the price as I dont know how long each one is to take off and replace. I have also seen numerous turbos that will fit on ebay, but I am always cautious about buying them as I dont really have much knowledge of turbos and whether they are good value or not.

Regards

Glenn

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJno1
Back