Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 93
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 17
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
rigsby99
Monza


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 164
Location: South Cheshire


PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Force Patrol wrote:
Hamster75 wrote:
My OPC warranty has now expired, didn't renew, however just before Chester Porsche centre were very fair with me when in for service & did a check / replaced several expensive items beforehand, coolant hoses right through, steering rack that I didn't know had any issues beforehand. so maybe the warranty is fair enough.

having learnt a lot since then & although my cars been A1 I have seen a lot of frightening tales on here about failures, maybe the OPC warranty is worth doing again. mines a 997.2


Good to hear, as I also have used OPC Chester..... To be fair they are only following the rules in the case of 111point check, apart from this battery fail I have been amazed how professional and proactive they have been with me when I was sorting out my check and warranty purchase


Afraid that I have experienced the exact opposite on two occasions, never again.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Main Force Patrol
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 291
Location: Wirral - The cold North


PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigsby99 wrote:
Main Force Patrol wrote:
Hamster75 wrote:
My OPC warranty has now expired, didn't renew, however just before Chester Porsche centre were very fair with me when in for service & did a check / replaced several expensive items beforehand, coolant hoses right through, steering rack that I didn't know had any issues beforehand. so maybe the warranty is fair enough.

having learnt a lot since then & although my cars been A1 I have seen a lot of frightening tales on here about failures, maybe the OPC warranty is worth doing again. mines a 997.2


Good to hear, as I also have used OPC Chester..... To be fair they are only following the rules in the case of 111point check, apart from this battery fail I have been amazed how professional and proactive they have been with me when I was sorting out my check and warranty purchase


Afraid that I have experienced the exact opposite on two occasions, never again.


Hmm.... that’s not good

Was it a technical or a communication issue is you don’t mind me asking ? nooo nooo
_________________
Porsche 911 997 Turbo Aerokit in Guards Red - With more extras than a fat man ordering his curry

Lotus Elise 111r - Few extras, lucky to get a steering wheel, but boy what a go kart it is
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Rhodris-dad
Montreal


Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 562
Location: RHYL


PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car failed an 111 point check because of Bosch wiper blades!!!

and a couple of years back...for a non-Porsche battery.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Rhodris-dad
Montreal


Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 562
Location: RHYL


PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh....and I don't know if this is true but.... I heard that they will not sell red brake calipers to the owner of a non-S car.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Axlesnap
Silverstone


Joined: 08 May 2016
Posts: 104
Location: Kent/ Sussex


PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodris-dad wrote:
My car failed an 111 point check because of Bosch wiper blades!!!

and a couple of years back...for a non-Porsche battery.

Appears to be an issue with consistency by Porsche with these checks. My previous 997 passed with Bosch aero blades at OPC Tonbridge. However when I px’d it at Brooklands they said they would need to replace them as an Approved car with warranty had to be 100% OEM. Seems some OPCs will allow for some latitude on warranty extensions.
_________________
997.2 GT3
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
apollokre1d
Sepang


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2811
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Painting your brake calipers a different colour from that specified for the model by Porsche is a fail.

eg. Yellow calipers on a car not fitted with PCCBs is a fail. Red calipers on a non 'S' car is a fail. nooo
.


Hi Terry, do you know what is the OPC stance is on painting your wheels a non-OEM colour?
_________________
Black 997 9e Turbo Manual
Black 997 C4S Manual - Sold
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5508
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok a difficult subject but one ill try to answer , it will be a usual long boreing post of mine filled with spelling mistakes as usual so i recomend everyone to just scroll down now !

Porsche say no third party items or it will fail the 111 check .. its a blanket rule .

The reason , if not they would have to list out every possible item that could be fitted , they will miss some and so a claim could be made on say non porsche parking sensors have stopped working .

Porsche would then be paying to fix an item they never supplyed or made any profit from more likely and indeed haveing to source parts from a third party to fix said problem .. why should they ?

Porsche warrenty the parts they have supplyed that have gone faulty.

Now .. the rules from Porsche reguarding whats a pass and a fail are pretty ambiguous other than the No third party parts .. if the OPC gets it wrong then they are left footing the bill so the 111 is a bit of a hard test .

Non porsche Battery , if we take it to the extremes which to be fair is never going to happen but it could cause problems with electrical systems and its a third party battery hence non porsche and its a fail .

Painted calpiers .. have they been baked , it could damage them .. if one was replaced due to a claim it would be with a standard caliper for that car .. it wouldnt match .. whos fault then ?

If a mechanic is haveing a shitty day .. his wife has left him and his dog has found romance so never comes home .. he sees non Porsche wiper blades and fails it ..

Another mechanic / opc thinks .. this is never going to be a problem as wiper blades are not even covered on a claim so he will pass it .

One OPC / Mechanic is different to another im afraid .. this is why some items pass ( they shouldnt ) and the same item will fail at another OPC .

Blanket rule .. non Porsche and its a fail .

This is where it gets difficult .. armour fend .. Porsche had to give way a few years back and allow it .. its a third party item so it breaks the rules but they HAVE given a pass with it fitted .

They will fail grill mesh on a bumper though .. go figure !

Rule of thumb .. non Porsche and unless the OPC / Mechanic is in a good mood then it will fail .

Wheel colour .. again like armour fend .. if the colour is a Porsche colour then it will pass .. i cant tell the difference and i used to paint them !

If its bright yellow then it will fail.

If the brakes look like Porsche ones it will pass .. if they are yellow when obviously they shouldn,t be it will fail .

Dont even get me started on the tracker systems we used to fit for many years which suddenly became a fail if we could prove one was fitted (dont leave paper work in the glove box guys !! )

Over all i think Porsche have done their best to simplify something which is actualy pretty involved and i agree with them (dont bother shouting as i dont reply Very Happy )

I will say this .. if anyone knows both sides of the coin then its me and im giving my honest opinion .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Axlesnap
Silverstone


Joined: 08 May 2016
Posts: 104
Location: Kent/ Sussex


PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Ok a difficult subject but one ill try to answer , it will be a usual long boreing post of mine filled with spelling mistakes as usual so i recomend everyone to just scroll down now !

Porsche say no third party items or it will fail the 111 check .. its a blanket rule .

The reason , if not they would have to list out every possible item that could be fitted , they will miss some and so a claim could be made on say non porsche parking sensors have stopped working .

Porsche would then be paying to fix an item they never supplyed or made any profit from more likely and indeed haveing to source parts from a third party to fix said problem .. why should they ?

Porsche warrenty the parts they have supplyed that have gone faulty.

Now .. the rules from Porsche reguarding whats a pass and a fail are pretty ambiguous other than the No third party parts .. if the OPC gets it wrong then they are left footing the bill so the 111 is a bit of a hard test .

Non porsche Battery , if we take it to the extremes which to be fair is never going to happen but it could cause problems with electrical systems and its a third party battery hence non porsche and its a fail .

Painted calpiers .. have they been baked , it could damage them .. if one was replaced due to a claim it would be with a standard caliper for that car .. it wouldnt match .. whos fault then ?

If a mechanic is haveing a shitty day .. his wife has left him and his dog has found romance so never comes home .. he sees non Porsche wiper blades and fails it ...

Another mechanic / opc thinks .. this is never going to be a problem as wiper blades are not even covered on a claim so he will pass it .

One OPC / Mechanic is different to another im afraid .. this is why some items pass ( they shouldnt ) and the same item will fail at another OPC .

Blanket rule .. non Porsche and its a fail .

This is where it gets difficult .. armour fend .. Porsche had to give way a few years back and allow it .. its a third party item so it breaks the rules but they HAVE given a pass with it fitted .

They will fail grill mesh on a bumper though .. go figure !

Rule of thumb .. non Porsche and unless the OPC / Mechanic is in a good mood then it will fail .

Wheel colour .. again like armour fend .. if the colour is a Porsche colour then it will pass .. i cant tell the difference and i used to paint them !

If its bright yellow then it will fail.

If the brakes look like Porsche ones it will pass .. if they are yellow when obviously they shouldn,t be it will fail .

Dont even get me started on the tracker systems we used to fit for many years which suddenly became a fail if we could prove one was fitted (dont leave paper work in the glove box guys !! )

Over all i think Porsche have done their best to simplify something which is actualy pretty involved and i agree with them (dont bother shouting as i dont reply Very Happy )

I will say this .. if anyone knows both sides of the coin then its me and im giving my honest opinion .


As always deMort, a great informative post Thumb

One take away I had from my conversations with Porsche Brooklands was that discretion was possible when renewing the warranty but there was zero wiggle room when it came to selling ‘Porsche Approved’ as any deviation picked up in a Porsche UK ‘audit’ had serious repercussions for the dealer.

In general I understand Porsche’s stance with regards to OEM parts/ accessories but there are areas where it makes no sense i.e. fitting mesh grills on a C2S is a fail yet Porsche fit them on a GT3, especially when it’s a modification that has no negatives and plenty of positives (speaking as someone who has spent plenty of time on my knees clearing out radiators of a C2S). The OEM requirement appears to be limited to items that could have been specified for the specific model; is that the case?
_________________
997.2 GT3
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 14690
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly ......

T8 wrote:


I'm told that Porsche GB explained that it was simply because such modifications have to match something that could have been supplied on that model by the factory.

I assume that this is why something like an upgrade from PDK button wheel to a PDK paddle shift wheel would be ok.


_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5508
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup as Terry has said.

But armour fend .. hmm .. not sure that was a Porsche option so doesn,t that open up a can of worms Dont know
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
gilford
Monza


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 186
Location: Anglesey

2006 BMW M5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Buying from OPC and the 111 point check Reply with quote

Spoke to an OPC today about a C2s which has just come in, it’s just had its 111 point check and I’ve been told it’s having 4 new tyres.

It’s covered circa 25k miles so I asked about the discs and pads, I was told these were fine so I then asked if they’ve been changed at any point to which the reply was no?

Surely they would have been in that mileage frame?

Where do you stand with this if they are needed a few months down the line?

Is the 111 point check a bit of a farce?

Thanks
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5508
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the brakes are less than 50% worn then its a pass for the 111 point check .. i can only asume they are less .

Brakes will not be needed anytime soon after this check ..

If you want to look for yourself then through the wheel touch the outer part of the disc and feel for a lip .. Porsche specs are 1mm wear each side and they need replaceing .

Outer brake pad can be seen by looking .. something like 6mm of material left would be a pass .. i cant be exact but thats an approximate for you on this model .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
gilford
Monza


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 186
Location: Anglesey

2006 BMW M5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I did think so but I’m a little sceptical from a past experience.

I bought a C4s from OPC Glasgow and had a few niggles in the first month of ownership, took it to my local OPC that said all discs were shot along with rads in bumper!

Thankfully they dealt with it all and everything was replaced (circa £5k if I recall correctly) so I’m sure you can understand my being pessimistic.

I really want a car with warranty to do want to buy OPC but need faith in them again.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Frenchmeister
Suzuka


Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 1244
Location: Beautiful Cumbria.

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k ! Remember 3k of that will be Porsche tax !
_________________
997 Carrera 2S 54 Arctic Silver
944 Turbo S 88 Solid Black
BMW X3 2.0D M Sport 06 Silver Grey
BMW E46 330i touring M Sport 05 Imola Red 2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
gilford
Monza


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 186
Location: Anglesey

2006 BMW M5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenchmeister wrote:
5k ! Remember 3k of that will be Porsche tax !


Glasgow OPC picked up the tab so it didn’t matter Hand
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5508
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilford wrote:
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I did think so but I’m a little sceptical from a past experience.

I bought a C4s from OPC Glasgow and had a few niggles in the first month of ownership, took it to my local OPC that said all discs were shot along with rads in bumper!

Thankfully they dealt with it all and everything was replaced (circa £5k if I recall correctly) so I’m sure you can understand my being pessimistic.

I really want a car with warranty to do want to buy OPC but need faith in them again.


That is pretty shamefull ...

i can only say that i was a lot harder on the 111 point check than this OPC seems to have been .

Brakes are a pretty easy check to pass or fail ... al of us mechs. can see and say if they need replaceing .

I can understand the frustration of you guys with problems like this .. it just shouldnt happen .. the rules are pretty straight forward .

The rules are the same for every OPC .. any car should be the same from any OPC .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Disgruntled Joe
Newbie


Joined: 10 Aug 2018
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: 111 Test - What do they actually do? Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I'm having a bit of a ding dong with a dealership, and I could do with a little insider knowledge about what they actually test!

On the 111 test, under Drive system/Underbody, item 59 says 'Fuel System'.

I need to know exactly what they test here. I'm guessing its simply that the onboard computer says it's all functioning fine, not that they strip it all down and check?

Please, state in your reply if you know for fact, or just opinion, as I need to go to war later this week, and dont want to look a turnip in the process!

I know theres a few guys on here who are ex OPC, if you know what is checked, let me know!

Thanks in advance!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 14690
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fact that they don't strip it all down and check it.

It's my opinion that in this area they just check for leaks.
_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 14690
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked the paperwork from my last one and Point 59 Fuel System comes in Section F which states "Drive system/underbody (function and condition - no visible defects, fluid loss, leaks)"

A tick would indicate that nothing untoward was visible. A cross would indicate that there was a leak or that something visible was defective.

NB: The document starts with the explanation:

The 111 Point Check is the technical test report used to assess the pre-owned vehicle. The condition and functionality of the vehicle must be documented in this Check. Please note that only a technically perfect vehicle can be granted a Porsche Approved Warranty.
_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5508
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah

Visual inspection / fault code read out so theres nothing to stop a problem developing after its been checked ..

That .. if the fault devolped later would be covered under the warrenty .

An X then a tick would indicate there was a fault and it was rectified to pass the 111 check.

Mechanics get 1.5 hours including road test to inspect the vehicle and 1.5 hrs to check / adjust the geo.

Im Ex OPC .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum