Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Pre Inspection 111 point check - what is it?

Hamster75 said:
My OPC warranty has now expired, didn't renew, however just before Chester Porsche centre were very fair with me when in for service & did a check / replaced several expensive items beforehand, coolant hoses right through, steering rack that I didn't know had any issues beforehand. so maybe the warranty is fair enough.

having learnt a lot since then & although my cars been A1 I have seen a lot of frightening tales on here about failures, maybe the OPC warranty is worth doing again. mines a 997.2

Good to hear, as I also have used OPC Chester..... To be fair they are only following the rules in the case of 111point check, apart from this battery fail I have been amazed how professional and proactive they have been with me when I was sorting out my check and warranty purchase

Whilst there are flaws with the Porsche warrenty system i still say its the best out there and if possible always worth getting.

Bare in mind i work for an Indy so my comment is actually taking work away from us !!

Any reason why?

FZP said:
Any reason why?

I'm told that Porsche GB explained that it was simply because such modifications have to match something that could have been supplied on that model by the factory.

I assume that this is why something like an upgrade from PDK button wheel to a PDK paddle shift wheel would be ok.

It's probably more accurate to say the work must look like it was done the Porsche way and existed at some point during the model life. Whether the factory could have fitted the item does not have any bearing, such as early 997.2 and PSE.

They might as well admit that the level of enforcement is quite arbitrary, but they won't do that.

Main Force Patrol said:
Hamster75 said:
My OPC warranty has now expired, didn't renew, however just before Chester Porsche centre were very fair with me when in for service & did a check / replaced several expensive items beforehand, coolant hoses right through, steering rack that I didn't know had any issues beforehand. so maybe the warranty is fair enough.

having learnt a lot since then & although my cars been A1 I have seen a lot of frightening tales on here about failures, maybe the OPC warranty is worth doing again. mines a 997.2

Good to hear, as I also have used OPC Chester..... To be fair they are only following the rules in the case of 111point check, apart from this battery fail I have been amazed how professional and proactive they have been with me when I was sorting out my check and warranty purchase

Afraid that I have experienced the exact opposite on two occasions, never again.

rigsby99 said:
Main Force Patrol said:
Hamster75 said:

Afraid that I have experienced the exact opposite on two occasions, never again.

Hmm.... that's not good

Was it a technical or a communication issue is you don't mind me asking ? :nooo: :nooo:

My car failed an 111 point check because of Bosch wiper blades!!!

and a couple of years back...for a non-Porsche battery.

Oh....and I don't know if this is true but.... I heard that they will not sell red brake calipers to the owner of a non-S car.

Rhodris-dad said:
My car failed an 111 point check because of Bosch wiper blades!!!

and a couple of years back...for a non-Porsche battery.
Appears to be an issue with consistency by Porsche with these checks. My previous 997 passed with Bosch aero blades at OPC Tonbridge. However when I px'd it at Brooklands they said they would need to replace them as an Approved car with warranty had to be 100% OEM. Seems some OPCs will allow for some latitude on warranty extensions.

T8 said:
Painting your brake calipers a different colour from that specified for the model by Porsche is a fail.

eg. Yellow calipers on a car not fitted with PCCBs is a fail. Red calipers on a non 'S' car is a fail. :nooo:

Hi Terry, do you know what is the OPC stance is on painting your wheels a non-OEM colour?

Ok a difficult subject but one ill try to answer , it will be a usual long boreing post of mine filled with spelling mistakes as usual so i recomend everyone to just scroll down now !

Porsche say no third party items or it will fail the 111 check .. its a blanket rule .

The reason , if not they would have to list out every possible item that could be fitted , they will miss some and so a claim could be made on say non porsche parking sensors have stopped working .

Porsche would then be paying to fix an item they never supplyed or made any profit from more likely and indeed haveing to source parts from a third party to fix said problem .. why should they ?

Porsche warrenty the parts they have supplyed that have gone faulty.

Now .. the rules from Porsche reguarding whats a pass and a fail are pretty ambiguous other than the No third party parts .. if the OPC gets it wrong then they are left footing the bill so the 111 is a bit of a hard test .

Non porsche Battery , if we take it to the extremes which to be fair is never going to happen but it could cause problems with electrical systems and its a third party battery hence non porsche and its a fail .

Painted calpiers .. have they been baked , it could damage them .. if one was replaced due to a claim it would be with a standard caliper for that car .. it wouldnt match .. whos fault then ?

If a mechanic is haveing a shitty day .. his wife has left him and his dog has found romance so never comes home .. he sees non Porsche wiper blades and fails it ..

Another mechanic / opc thinks .. this is never going to be a problem as wiper blades are not even covered on a claim so he will pass it .

One OPC / Mechanic is different to another im afraid .. this is why some items pass ( they shouldnt ) and the same item will fail at another OPC .

Blanket rule .. non Porsche and its a fail .

This is where it gets difficult .. armour fend .. Porsche had to give way a few years back and allow it .. its a third party item so it breaks the rules but they HAVE given a pass with it fitted .

They will fail grill mesh on a bumper though .. go figure !

Rule of thumb .. non Porsche and unless the OPC / Mechanic is in a good mood then it will fail .

Wheel colour .. again like armour fend .. if the colour is a Porsche colour then it will pass .. i cant tell the difference and i used to paint them !

If its bright yellow then it will fail.

If the brakes look like Porsche ones it will pass .. if they are yellow when obviously they shouldn,t be it will fail .

Dont even get me started on the tracker systems we used to fit for many years which suddenly became a fail if we could prove one was fitted (dont leave paper work in the glove box guys !! )

Over all i think Porsche have done their best to simplify something which is actualy pretty involved and i agree with them (dont bother shouting as i dont reply :D )

I will say this .. if anyone knows both sides of the coin then its me and im giving my honest opinion .

deMort said:
Ok a difficult subject but one ill try to answer , it will be a usual long boreing post of mine filled with spelling mistakes as usual so i recomend everyone to just scroll down now !

Porsche say no third party items or it will fail the 111 check .. its a blanket rule .

The reason , if not they would have to list out every possible item that could be fitted , they will miss some and so a claim could be made on say non porsche parking sensors have stopped working .

Porsche would then be paying to fix an item they never supplyed or made any profit from more likely and indeed haveing to source parts from a third party to fix said problem .. why should they ?

Porsche warrenty the parts they have supplyed that have gone faulty.

Now .. the rules from Porsche reguarding whats a pass and a fail are pretty ambiguous other than the No third party parts .. if the OPC gets it wrong then they are left footing the bill so the 111 is a bit of a hard test .

Non porsche Battery , if we take it to the extremes which to be fair is never going to happen but it could cause problems with electrical systems and its a third party battery hence non porsche and its a fail .

Painted calpiers .. have they been baked , it could damage them .. if one was replaced due to a claim it would be with a standard caliper for that car .. it wouldnt match .. whos fault then ?

If a mechanic is haveing a shitty day .. his wife has left him and his dog has found romance so never comes home .. he sees non Porsche wiper blades and fails it ...

Another mechanic / opc thinks .. this is never going to be a problem as wiper blades are not even covered on a claim so he will pass it .

One OPC / Mechanic is different to another im afraid .. this is why some items pass ( they shouldnt ) and the same item will fail at another OPC .

Blanket rule .. non Porsche and its a fail .

This is where it gets difficult .. armour fend .. Porsche had to give way a few years back and allow it .. its a third party item so it breaks the rules but they HAVE given a pass with it fitted .

They will fail grill mesh on a bumper though .. go figure !

Rule of thumb .. non Porsche and unless the OPC / Mechanic is in a good mood then it will fail .

Wheel colour .. again like armour fend .. if the colour is a Porsche colour then it will pass .. i cant tell the difference and i used to paint them !

If its bright yellow then it will fail.

If the brakes look like Porsche ones it will pass .. if they are yellow when obviously they shouldn,t be it will fail .

Dont even get me started on the tracker systems we used to fit for many years which suddenly became a fail if we could prove one was fitted (dont leave paper work in the glove box guys !! )

Over all i think Porsche have done their best to simplify something which is actualy pretty involved and i agree with them (dont bother shouting as i dont reply :D )

I will say this .. if anyone knows both sides of the coin then its me and im giving my honest opinion .

As always deMort, a great informative post :thumb:

One take away I had from my conversations with Porsche Brooklands was that discretion was possible when renewing the warranty but there was zero wiggle room when it came to selling 'Porsche Approved' as any deviation picked up in a Porsche UK 'audit' had serious repercussions for the dealer.

In general I understand Porsche's stance with regards to OEM parts/ accessories but there are areas where it makes no sense i.e. fitting mesh grills on a C2S is a fail yet Porsche fit them on a GT3, especially when it's a modification that has no negatives and plenty of positives (speaking as someone who has spent plenty of time on my knees clearing out radiators of a C2S). The OEM requirement appears to be limited to items that could have been specified for the specific model; is that the case?

Exactly ......

T8 said:
I'm told that Porsche GB explained that it was simply because such modifications have to match something that could have been supplied on that model by the factory.

I assume that this is why something like an upgrade from PDK button wheel to a PDK paddle shift wheel would be ok.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back