Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Main Force Patrol
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 301
Location: Wirral - The cold North


PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Novice Trackdays ? Reply with quote

Hi Guys I need some help !

I did a track day a few years ago in my Lotus Elise @ Anglesey, and while I enjoyed parts of it, I nearly got completely wiped out by a bloke in Nissan GTR who overtook me / missed me by literally inches, I guess I was doing 60mph and passed me half off the track at over 100mph.
Suffice to say it was Open Session type set-up, and the mix left me exhausted and paranoid about either slowing people down or repeating the GTR incident.

It was a sad that this incident has put me off ever repeating havin a go again, but here is where I need your help..... I really can’t find anybody who runs closed sessions ( apart from next Tuesday in Wigan Grin ) they seem to be a bit of a Uniciorn of track days for a novice.

Ideally I’d like a track that isn’t 200 miles away and has decent run offs, I live 35 mins from Oulton Park but it’s a dead loss if you make a mistake, I’m only 80 mins from Anglesey but no one runs sessioned track days.

Do you any alternative suggestions / ideas ?

Cheers
MFP
_________________
Porsche 911 997 Turbo Aerokit in Guards Red - With more extras than a fat man ordering his curry

Lotus Elise 111r - Few extras, lucky to get a steering wheel, but boy what a go kart it is
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1591
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Porsche Club UK not run track days and drivers education?

My local official club here - Porsche Club Finland - offers a combination of open track and restricted track days with drivers education: you start in L1, and need to be promoted to L2, L3 and L4 (instructor level).

It works very well. I've now had a number of passenger rides with instructors (mainly to demonstrate the line, braking and turn in points, handy on a new track) and instruction from 7 different instructors (from 10-20 minutes per session). the great thing about the club events is that they match the skills and experience, and discipline is very strict (there's no passing without being given a indication, only passing on the straight, only passing on the right).

It's great for beginners and for peace of mind.

Open pit lane stuff scares me. I really don't want to be 'the guy in the Porsche'.
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Main Force Patrol
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 301
Location: Wirral - The cold North


PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
Does Porsche Club UK not run track days and drivers education?

My local official club here - Porsche Club Finland - offers a combination of open track and restricted track days with drivers education: you start in L1, and need to be promoted to L2, L3 and L4 (instructor level).

It works very well. I've now had a number of passenger rides with instructors (mainly to demonstrate the line, braking and turn in points, handy on a new track) and instruction from 7 different instructors (from 10-20 minutes per session). the great thing about the club events is that they match the skills and experience, and discipline is very strict (there's no passing without being given a indication, only passing on the straight, only passing on the right).

It's great for beginners and for peace of mind.

Open pit lane stuff scares me. I really don't want to be 'the guy in the Porsche'.


Ahhh sorry my fault I didn’t say, I am talking about taking my Lotus, my Porsche is far to precious for me to shove it into a large barrier Hand
_________________
Porsche 911 997 Turbo Aerokit in Guards Red - With more extras than a fat man ordering his curry

Lotus Elise 111r - Few extras, lucky to get a steering wheel, but boy what a go kart it is
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1591
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well, that's no hardship. Is there a Lotus Club, or SELOC event?

I've done a few open trackdays, and it's only fun to take a Porsche if it's one of the less powerful cars (so you're not waiting to get torpedoed by some bloke in a hot hatch with more ambition than skill), and you can outbrake and outcorner the big heavy more powerful coupe and sports cars. I'm sure that logic holds in a Lotus. It certainly does in a MINI.

The main track day thread is very good. The two things I'd look for is some tuition and good discipline (marshals, flags/lights). [/i]
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Main Force Patrol
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 301
Location: Wirral - The cold North


PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
Ah, well, that's no hardship. Is there a Lotus Club, or SELOC event?

I've done a few open trackdays, and it's only fun to take a Porsche if it's one of the less powerful cars (so you're not waiting to get torpedoed by some bloke in a hot hatch with more ambition than skill), and you can outbrake and outcorner the big heavy more powerful coupe and sports cars. I'm sure that logic holds in a Lotus. It certainly does in a MINI.

The main track day thread is very good. The two things I'd look for is some tuition and good discipline (marshals, flags/lights). [/i]


Fully agree on the tuition, these Guys really know to fling cars around, unlike me Very Happy
_________________
Porsche 911 997 Turbo Aerokit in Guards Red - With more extras than a fat man ordering his curry

Lotus Elise 111r - Few extras, lucky to get a steering wheel, but boy what a go kart it is
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Disco
Estoril


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3962
Location: Hertfordshire

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotorSportVision do novice days at most if not all of their circuits at some point through the year - check their calendar. Novice events are sessioned (so you get about 7 20 minute slots through the day) which means that (a) they don't actually appeal to the more experienced/hard core drivers anyway and (b) nobody out there is going to be overdoing the mental fatigue angle. I would strongly recommend them to people for their first few times on track. They tend to mostly attract people on modest budgets with stock road cars (generally warm and slightly hot hatches) and the hooligan potential is fairly low (though it is never non-existent).

If a novice day doesn't fit (or you really don't want to do a sessioned day and want open pit lane) then the next best option from a driving standards point of view is always the owners club events.

Do persist with it though - the enjoyment ramps up once you get more experience. And do take a couple of sessions of instruction - it builds confidence as well as actual knowledge. Thumb
_________________
Colin

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Y2K
Montreal


Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Posts: 507
Location: Hampshire


PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotus-on-track

http://www.lotus-on-track.com

I’ve been with them many times and the driving etiquette has always been first class, whether in OPL or sessioned events.

They are usually £20 more expensive than mainstream TDOs but they have plenty of early birds deals, and they don’t book as many cars on their events so plenty of track space.

They’re Porsche friendly as well should you wish to take your Porsche, so win win.

As mentioned tutition helps; another thing sometimes when I visit a new circuit I put one of the ‘novice’ sticker on my car if it’s OPL event.
_________________
2005 996 GT3 mk2
1999 Integra DC2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Main Force Patrol
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 301
Location: Wirral - The cold North


PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
MotorSportVision do novice days at most if not all of their circuits at some point through the year - check their calendar. Novice events are sessioned (so you get about 7 20 minute slots through the day) which means that (a) they don't actually appeal to the more experienced/hard core drivers anyway and (b) nobody out there is going to be overdoing the mental fatigue angle. I would strongly recommend them to people for their first few times on track. They tend to mostly attract people on modest budgets with stock road cars (generally warm and slightly hot hatches) and the hooligan potential is fairly low (though it is never non-existent).

If a novice day doesn't fit (or you really don't want to do a sessioned day and want open pit lane) then the next best option from a driving standards point of view is always the owners club events.

Do persist with it though - the enjoyment ramps up once you get more experience. And do take a couple of sessions of instruction - it builds confidence as well as actual knowledge. Thumb


That’s brilliant Colin, thank you they look perfect for my needs Very Happy
I think the reason they never came up in my searches was the fact that I wasn’t searching for novice, but anyway I knew the forum would help me out worship
_________________
Porsche 911 997 Turbo Aerokit in Guards Red - With more extras than a fat man ordering his curry

Lotus Elise 111r - Few extras, lucky to get a steering wheel, but boy what a go kart it is
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Main Force Patrol
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 301
Location: Wirral - The cold North


PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y2K wrote:
Lotus-on-track

http://www.lotus-on-track.com

I’ve been with them many times and the driving etiquette has always been first class, whether in OPL or sessioned events.

They are usually £20 more expensive than mainstream TDOs but they have plenty of early birds deals, and they don’t book as many cars on their events so plenty of track space.

They’re Porsche friendly as well should you wish to take your Porsche, so win win.

As mentioned tutition helps; another thing sometimes when I visit a new circuit I put one of the ‘novice’ sticker on my car if it’s OPL event.


Cheers for the post
I did look at LnT last year but they only run open pit, so I actually gave them a call to see if I was missing something from my searches on their website, the bloke explained that they didn’t run group sessions etc, only open pit because most members where experienced.
But it’s good to know about them once I’ve done a few more novice days and some more instructor based laps. Also they do use Anglesey which is just perfect for me Very Happy
_________________
Porsche 911 997 Turbo Aerokit in Guards Red - With more extras than a fat man ordering his curry

Lotus Elise 111r - Few extras, lucky to get a steering wheel, but boy what a go kart it is
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum