Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Practicality of living with a 911

Albachap

Me again!

I'm seeking some comfort/reassurance around practically living with a 911. I've got speed wobbles I suppose and I'll explain why...

I'm coming from a RS4 Avant (i've previously had Pork though but they were 3rd cars). I've got a 5year old and I'm an outdoors person. It's likely this 911 will need to carry skis and bikes on occasion which is what vexes me.

The RS I can lob stuff in and it's fast and fun. But it's not a 911 :D

This will be a daily that is probably only used 1-2 days a week sporadically with a bit of child shuttling, occasional bike trip and a bit of skiing.

I'm aiming for a 4s or Targa 4(s) but i won't take a rack other than seasuckers.

Who lives with one of these and uses it like I plan to (please :floor: )

I use my 997.2 daily for school runs. 10yo and 8yo kids. Have also been on Hol for a week with it. If you go for 4wd boot space is reduced (shallower), you can get a surprising amount on rear parcel shelf with one or both rear seat backs folded down.

The trick for packing the boot is getting a squashy hold-all or 2 that are the correct dimensions. I use a Hagloffs 90L and can fit other small bags on top.

Not tried roof bars or used mine in the snow but with the weight of engine over driven wheels, don't rule out 2wd, especially with winter tyres.

Hope you can make it work for you :thumb:

I can't say it's something I'd do tbh, I don't think anyone could say a 911's the perfect family all rounder! I've got a LR Discovery for family duties, and sometimes even that gets packed out!

How about a Cayenne?

I have had 911s for 6 yrs with 2 kids now age 12 and 13 normal everyday stuff is fine I use it virtually every day , and driving for a few hours with the odd stop to stretch is fine. the roof racks are good for either putting a box on for holiday stuff or a bike or skis . theres really no reason for a 911 to not be a good all rounder , the boot on the wide body cars is a little smaller than narrow body due to the extra space the AWD takes up but its not much . I have a range rover and will often use the 911 instead with everything jammed in as its just so much more fun . :thumb: of course theres a compromise its not an estate car but it will work and my view is I dont want to drive some euro box just so 10 times a year I can get skis or bikes on it :thumb: I want to drive a 911 and will work round those few occations where its a bit of a squeeze. not everyone thinks like me but TBH drive the 911 all the time enjoy it and on the very odd occation where it just will not do the job Enterprise etc are your friend 35 quid a day and you can have an estate it may cost you £500 a year in car rental but so worth it to be able to drive a 911 for the rest of the year :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks, sorry meant to say we have an Octavia estate as well so any long fully loaded trips will be in that. It's just general tootling around! Might rule the Targa out as a rack would be useful every now and then, not sure I trust the Seasuckers !!!

I use my car as a daily and it's superb. You can get a surprising amount in the front boot space - I can fit 2 carry on bags and a small squashy bag.

The previous owner of my car had a roof rack which he used to carry his bike on.

I went for the 997 over a Boxster/Cayman for the rear seats as this allows us to take the dog with us.

Rear seats are limited to small children.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a £10k BMW X5 as a daily run around and for trips for the dump.

Thanks all, decision made, on the hunt for a nice manual 4s - either late 997.2 or at a stretch a 991. Will keep you posted - anyone want an RS4 Avant ?? :D

Another vote from me! I use my 997 as my daily as ive said before on here. I do 15000 miles a year in it. Get 2 kids in the back no problems. Have used it for our weekly food shop and everything fits in the boot no problem.

Took the kids and all their stuff over to the inlaws for a sleep-over the other month - 2 suitcases, bedding, toys, scooters, you name it. All fitted in fine.

Only time I would struggle is if we were going away for a family holiday, but then I would either use the wifes car, or as someone else said, hire a car for the week - which is what I did last time as I didnt fancy taking mine down narrow Cornish lanes.

One thing I noticed after being squeezed into the back of a 911 is the engine noise in the back does make it pretty hard to communicate with the front seats, especially on the motorway. So I wouldn't really want to take the kids on long trips in it, they'd get (even more) restless if they were completely cut off from us in the front. Even if in some cases that may be desirable :lol:

Daily for over 6 years. Where I go, car goes: work, pub, multiple trip to the French Riviera, days out, local dump, etc. Cars transported ladders, wives holiday luggage, dog, 4 adults but never bikes. Dammit goes places with his bikes in his. Where there's a will there's a way. You just have to work out how and get on with it.

I'd have wet my pants if my Dad ever picked me up from school in a 911!

Get on with it, you know it makes sense!

:)

ZfUE6hm.png

If you want to, you can manage. A set of rails and a nice Thule roofbox would help massively if you want to carry a volume (I think you can only stick about 80kg on the roof, all in).

But I can no longer carry the whole family as my 17 year son is about 195cm, and my 14 year old daugther won't squeeze in behind me any more. If we all need to travel, or if we want to take the dog, we take my wife's 5 door GTI, or we do a deal with a family member and take the big Discovery3. :dont know:

Although sometimes we just take two cars ... :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back