Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Painting spoiler grills - what is thebest option

Ghianightmare

I bought a complete 996 deck lid on ebay a couple of weeks back in Lapis Blue. My car is Seal Grey.

I stripped it down over the weekend and took it to a body shop ( I know them personally) this morning. They advised me that rather than trying to paint the pop up grill part, I was better to either buy a used one in the right colour or to buy a new primed one (circa €300 from Porsche) and paint it and sell the blue one. The reason being is that the part is so intricate, it will take hours to prep it and the finish won't be as good as what they can achieve on the main part of the deck lid and so the cost versus quality won't be in line. They said the same applies to the front grills on normal cars.

I asked if it would it help if I sanded it – he said yes but it was a law of diminishing returns and it would still not have a factory finish. If it was a one of a kind restoration the extra hours would be worth the effort, but in this case there were better options.

I am considering my options and in parallel looking for a used panel in seal grey. So – just posting this so people can consider it if they ever have to replace their spoiler panel .

So I just got call back from the body shop and they said that rather than me spending money on a new primed spoiler at approx €300, the head painter reckons he can get a good result, albeit not concours, on the existing one and to give it a go first...

What they didn't say was that they wouldn't charge me if it doesn't work out! I'll have that conversation at the time.

I'll update on Friday post painting as I have to leave the car with them on Wednesday for colour matching. The colour match result this morning was 93.5% accurate and apparently they want at least 95% - so they will spray a couple of card samples and do a further photo analysis with them on the car.

I dropped over the to the body shop this morning to see the freshly painted deck lid and Spoiler. They got why I would class as a factory finish on the spoiler, even though they were pessimistic to start - so I am happy. No need to buy a new one.

€450 total which includes the small repair to the corner of the deck lid and colour change of the deck lid and spoiler. They spend an hour or two working on the colour matching samples too.

I have edited the title of this thread so it is not misleading.

Padraig

:useless:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back