Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Double din head unit installation

Kbald

Monza
So got myself an android 8 head unit to install over the bank Holiday. In terms of mounting the GPS antenna I have heard this can be mounted under the black plastic windscreen wiper cover. If this is done what's the best way to route the wires back into the radio system? Going to do dab as well once I've got the USB adaptor so will mount the aerial on the windscreen but again I'd heard someone mounted one next to the pollen filter so does anyone have any info on doing that? Thanks in advance. [/b]

Attachments

• img_20180825_122620340_756.jpg
    img_20180825_122620340_756.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 3,954
Mines mounted under the dash and works fine.

Perfect thanks that's even easier then. Is that the GPS antenna or both?

I mounted mine on the windscreen right up behind the rear view mirroe so it's out of sight. The wire then tucks easily behind the trim, down behind the rubber seal on the A bar then behind the dash and into the head unit. Takes about 5-10 minutes to route it this way and there isn't a single bit of wire exposed. Looks perfect and so easy to do.

I've seen folk mount them on the dash through the top of the dash where the alarm LED is and I think it looks cr4p.

Kbald said:
Perfect thanks that's even easier then. Is that the GPS antenna or both?

Both :thumb:

Excellent will try under the dash and if that works perfect of not will go behind the mirror as you suggest Alex. I wanted to avoid having them on show as it does look naff in my opinion.

Didnt get round to starting today as was busy fonishing the mesh on the feont bumper and installing a new lower radiator bracket as the old one had riusted and fallen apart. Will get cracking tomorrow.

Thanks alex i hadnt seen that. I got the connect 2 kit off ebay as well and am a bit worried it wont fit and i dont have a milling machine to trim it down either! :sad:

Another thing i wanted the air con controls to go in the top hole under the unit but the opc could only find a surround for the bottom one. What bezel did you use to get it in the top one??

The original one from the original location.

See here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125168

That also needed a trim but could be done with a stanley knife. Same goes for the trim with some effort.....or a file....or other tool.

Perfect thanks. Perhaps I should get better with the search function before going crazy buying everything so I know what I'm in for!

Might be able to trim the bezel using my drill press and file it smooth

Just been getting on with this today after holidays etc put it on hold. All parts out ready to mod/trim down. Did a test run and the unit is plug and play so really impressed wih how easy to wire in it is.

One thing though, Alex I have just re read your post on the install and you installed a bracket to the top screw holes. A couple of questions if i may, how did you secure the metal to the screw holes and then how did you secure the cage to that?

I got an aluminium 1/2" L section length and used some self taping screws (I think) to screw it through the original holes where the HVAC screwed in. The cage then had the bendy flaps that I bent up behind the aluminium section bar across the top.

Perfect. Makes sense thanks. :thumb:

Can you post some pics of the installation please?

Thanks
Mike

Will take some as i go and post them up. Just need to find some alluminium now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back