Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche vs Aston Fuel consumption.

Excellent. You never grow up, the toys just get more expensive.
Happy Birthday.

MC

150 miles into France doing a nice and easy 70mph and the Boxster engine pumps out clouds of white smoke then dies. It's covered in oil and looks like it could be the 5th replacement/rebuild in 8 Cars. Not a good average.

We now wait for the police to remove the car form the motorway slip road, then we have to contact the RAC to get it recovered back to Porsche Torque.

The Aston has been fine.

Very sorry to hear that Les. Hope it is just the AOS or something else not too pricey.

MC

Oh no, sorry to hear this Les. Looks like its 4 for the road in the Aston. Least you got further than Chris, he's stuck on the M1.

Good luck getting anybody over 7 in the back of the DB9.

MC

You don't have a lot of luck with Porsches :nooo:

Not looking forward to the report from Porsche on Monday.
In the meantime, I'll occupy myself with the best roads in the world.

6_F36_A013-7_F8_E-4_E03-_A0_B6-65_C6_A3_A0_FC05.jpg

:eek: another! :nooo:

bloody hell Les , I bet anyone you know wouldnt touch a Porsche based on your experience. :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: hows the ave miles looking in the aston :thumb:

Somethings not right here. Either someone is sabotaging your cars or you are the most mechanically unsympathetic owner in the history of Porsche ownership. If this one has cacked its pants, I'd head down to the local stables and seek a different kind of horsepower.
Hope it's something simple mate :thumb:

This one was my wife's car, so it's not down to my driving and being a tiptronic I can't blame overreving. The oil has been changed every 5k, and it's got a great service history.

I find out the issue on Monday. But the engine was covered in oil and it didn't sound happy.

MPG wise, when I drove to Rome 6 weeks ago in my 997.2 I avaraged 27mpg. Over the last 1,150 miles the Aston has done 25mpg. Much better than expected.

My daughter (driving my wife's Porsche 987 Boxster) managed just under 300 miles before the engine blew-up (Porsche Rheims wanted 28,000 euro for a replacement - being done in the UK for less than £5K at PorscheTorque).
The Aston, on the other hand, was superb.
Zero oil pressure (it was all over the road) and the engine noise best described and a bucket of spanners in a tumble dryer, marked the end for my wife's Boxster.
Its dead.
Boxster.jpg

The RAC came to the rescue and gave my daughter and her boyfriend a lovely little Renault Capture for the trip - not the same as a Boxster but still......
We drove through France, into Switzerland and made out first stop in Annecy.
Switzerland.
Swiss.jpg

The next day we drove south, over the Col Du Bonet - the highest road in Europe at 10,000 feet. if you like twisty hairpins with massive drops and no guard rails, then this is the road for you. We then went cross country and drove Route Napoleon for the last part of the day.
Col Du Bonet.
Bonnet2.jpg

We then stayed in Nice visiting St Tropez and Monaco a couple of times. Driving around the F1 circuit and having dinner in the Cafe de Paris was a real highlight, although I preferred the food at the Stars 'n Bars which no trip to Monaco would be complete without a visit.
Outside the Stars 'n Bars in Monaco.
Monaco.jpg

After a few days it was time to move on to our next stop, and off we went into Milan (to watch qualifying) then on to our hotel next to Lake Como.
Street Parking in Como.
Como.jpg

On race day we were the only things blue in a sea of red. The crowd when mad every time Vettel passed, and hurled abuse at Hamilton. They gave us some stick us when Danny Ric's engine broke but (to our delight) went silent when Hamilton took the lead.
Blue is the colour....
IMG_3069.jpg

The next day we drove the Tremola (the oldest road in Switzerland), then the Furka Pass and finally the Susten
The cobbled mountain road called the Tremola.
Tremola.jpg

The top of the Furka Pass.
Furka.jpg

Our Hotel View.
hotel.jpg

After that it was a lot of motorway munching (boring), a nights stay in Paris (been there done that) before the final euro tunnel trip home.

All in all, it the Aston averaged 25.2mpg (I got 27mpg in my 997.2 PDK 7 weeks ago) which I thought was amazing - apart from the day I spent hooning around the Alps. I Didn't check it but it was probably single figures 😜

The DB9 is made for trips like this and I would highly recommend it. It's not that expensive on fuel and it is surprisingly more reliable than a Porsche.
We normally do a couple of these every year and I can't wait for the next one.

Bonnet.jpg

Great write up Les, mid 20s was what we thought it would do on a run like that mate and good to hear the AML preformed well . based on your recent purchase I have just traded the range rover and brought a Bentley GT using your theory of we all need a 6ltr car in our lives :grin: driving it around at the weekend I was ave 11mpg :eek: so need a few good runs to get the ave up to where I was expecting at around 18mpg . this will then make the 997.2 seem like an eco car and when I drive it I will feel like I am helping the enviroment :floor: :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back