Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Good news story

Main Force Patrol said:
I tend to not drive mine in fear that the mere act of looking at on the drive the engine would fall out in a pile of score marks, rust and broken metal :eek:

In fairness the hit rate of failures does seem higher in this forum as opposed to say the Lotus Forums were I used to hang out, putting aside the K Series engine head gasket failures and sketchy build quality resulting in rattles you kind of get used to :D

I guess it is fair to assume that a company like Porsche wouldn't have designed in some inherent engine weaknesses, especially when the cost of repair is so high ?

P.S. Still a magnicent car though :grin:

To be fair though, there are a lot more 996's around than Lotus', AND they tend to get used more. Let me remember what Lotus stands for, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious. :thumbs:

Not quite sure how doing 350 miles in 2 days is an accomplishment lol.

It sounds like something that would be posted on a Model T Forum.

Bought my 997.2 C2 last September, have done about 3500 miles.

No issues so far.. but if I am being picky the following has happened.

A bracket holding the tail pipe rusted completely and the tail pip wasn't holding on firmly. I have replace the tail pipes to a dual pipe style from the C2S anyway.

During the 1st 500 mile of ownership, there was a few times where clutch pedal appear to have got stuck. Once I take my foot of it, it pinged back into place after 2 seconds. Since then it has never happened. Spoke with OPC technicians and obviously could not recreate the issue. Is got 31k miles now I believe the clutch is in gd shape, is not slipping or anything like that.

There was this one time when I pull the handbrake up there was a very loud snap. Sounded like I just killed a cable or something. But the handbrake operates completely normally, no loss in tension or anything like that.. so no idea what that was...

When the warranty runs out I am planning to install the X pipe which is based on the Miltek one.

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/shop/exhaust/

So far loving the enjoyment of base model ownership, and surprised that I actually quite like the sun roof 8)

Shurv said:
Main Force Patrol said:
I tend to not drive mine in fear that the mere act of looking at on the drive the engine would fall out in a pile of score marks, rust and broken metal :eek:

In fairness the hit rate of failures does seem higher in this forum as opposed to say the Lotus Forums were I used to hang out, putting aside the K Series engine head gasket failures and sketchy build quality resulting in rattles you kind of get used to :D

I guess it is fair to assume that a company like Porsche wouldn't have designed in some inherent engine weaknesses, especially when the cost of repair is so high ?

P.S. Still a magnicent car though :grin:

To be fair though, there are a lot more 996's around than Lotus', AND they tend to get used more. Let me remember what Lotus stands for, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious. :thumbs:

I think that LOTUS joke is a bit dated, may certainly be true about 25 years ago :hand:

I guess my point is that Porsche know they designed an engine with a fault, fortunately it largely doesn't concern me, since I managed to get through my 111 point check and shared the thick end of £2k with Porsche :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back