Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering breaking my 996 carrera 4, starting with engine

Rickyhull

Monza
Contemplating breaking my 996 due to it now needing a full respray and prices I'm getting are just making it financially pointless as I'll never get this money back when I come to sell it

I'll only break the car if I can get a buyer for the engine first as that's where the most money is in the car

Engine is on 127k with full Porsche main dealer service history with all receipts and service stamps in the book and had lots and lots of work done in general maintenance over the years such as coolent pipes, rms, alentator, seals and gaskets, tappets, tensioners etc etc

Can be seen running first as still in the car and can be driven

Seen a few on eBay for £5,000-£7000 I'll take £4000

Seems a bit drastic to me, breaking a car because you`re not happy with the paint :dont know:

Why not get it wrapped to tide you over as the prices seem to be rising gently :grin:

To be fair at 127K miles and 19 years old the engine is in the "needs a rebuild" stage of it`s life now , so will be bottom end of the market anyway. ( concensus is the main bearings are pretty much worn out at 130K)

Put some pictures and spec of the car up to see what others think :thumb:

Thanks for the info but with the maintenance Its had I'm more than happy that it's in good 100% health more than happy for an oil anylasis to prove the bottom end bearings etc are fine, I was considering selling the car, would proberbly get 12-13k for it painted, I can break it easily for 12k so there's no point paying for 2-3k worth of paint as if then be 9-10k we're as I can break it for the 12....

You might be able to break it for £12k but it would be a lot of work. Be prepared for a lot of parts to hang around for ages. That said I might be interested in your gearbox and possibly some other parts.

MC

It is a lot of hassle breaking a car. They go in bits and bobs. People mess you around on prices so you rarely get the prices you thought you'd get.

I'd suggest that you just sell it as a roadworthy vehicle with a price that reflects the overall condition of mechanicals and paintwork and the mileage.

I priced up my car for breaking a good few years ago and I think it came to about £7k, but there will be loads of bits that won't sell and you will end up with so many unsold parts.

I would either wrap it as mentioned or sell it complete advertised "in need of paint" someone with paint facilities may take it off your hands, the price of the materials would only be around £100 so it would make it worthwhile buying for the right person.

I'm in no rush for the money don't mind if it takes a few years to sell it all, the aero kit sports seats engine gearbox and gt3 wheels are the main items to make the most money.... not looking for a big debate on prices or wether it's worth or not worth doing etc i appreciate all the info but in just looking to sell my engine then if it doesn't sell I'll have the car painted and use it or paint it and sell it cheers

If I wanted to do it I would advertise the engine and make very clear that it is in the car and can be heard running. You have a much better chance of selling that way.

MC

Thanks mate but that's exactly what I've done above and made very clear it's in the car so can be test driven etc

Sorry to tell you but can buy a new short engine from Porsche for £3995+vat so very much doubt you would get anywhere near £4K for a high mileage engine regardless of maintenance.

As the others said save yourself the hassle or sell as is. I would have thought a well priced project car would go quickly and be a lot less hassle than dealing with the general public especially when it comes to 911 bits!

I'm fully aware of the deal Porsche have on but doesn't include heads etc which are very expensive and all ancileres, like I say I'm not bothered and not looking for advice I'm just looking to sell my engine which is priced at what others have sold for

Have bit the bullet cars going in for full respray at weekend, i know this is the for sale section but what's everyone's opinion on what my speed yellow 996.1 with aero kit be worth full Porsche main dealer service history manual carrera 4 new clutch rms seal folder of receipts 127k miles etc etc

I think you've done the right thing there, or you could still sell as is and save on the repaint cost as someone may want to add their own flavour to it or just use it as it is :dont know:

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back