Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front suspension knock / rattle low speed

Kbald

Monza
Hi all so seem to be having rattle in the front suspension at low sppeds. Jacked up one and tris to wobble the wheel nothing with hands at 12 and 6 but when they are at 3 oclock and 9 oclock there is a wobble and seems to be coming from the suspension strut area. Had the wheel off amd everythinf else seems tight except the arb drop links which the ball joints can be moved easily by hand. Does anyone have any ideas what it may be? Top mounts maybe but they all seem to be fairly new? Also should the arb drop links be that easy to move the ball joints?

If you have movement when held at 3 and 9 o'clock it points to the steering joints. The ARB won't make any difference to this. If you aren't sure about the drop link I would take off an ARB drop link and see if it goes away.

MC

Tie rods seem solid, certainly the outer ones. For the cost of the arb drop links i think i will just replace front and back and dop the arb bushes at the back as they seem a bit shot.

Ive also got a pram like squeak from the back going over speed bumps too and ideas what this could be? Lots of little niggles to sort!

I had similar issues and have just done my ARB bushes, drop links and inner/outer tie rod ends. Also did my top-mounts (and bearings) whilst it was apart. The handling is massively improved.

All are simple jobs and the parts don't cost much. Just need to get it aligned after you have finished.As mentioned above, I would suspect your inner tie-rod ends are the culprit, they are notorious for this.

If you do the drop-links, I hope the pinch bolts on yours (the bolt at the top of the drop link, which also doubles as the pinch bolt holding the shock into the wheel-carrier) are easier to remove than mine. They are a pig.....

CG told me that suspension knocks are usually down to worn tuning forks and they can't be spotted until they are removed no matter how you twist or load them when stationary.

Mine had a squeak when bounced at the front/going over bumps at low speed and also a knock, which sounds similar to the OP's problem. This was an ARB and was a cheap fix, which I had done on its next due-service. hope this helps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back