Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Apologies for the photos being from opposite sides and for being out of sequence, but I think you can see what I mean. I used the gel to strip rust on my front wing lips and it did a great job. I sprayed some zinc spray on it just to keep the metal protected until i get them sprayed and the spray is preventing rust from reappearing even though I have driven in the rain.

I sprayed the sills with the Bilt Hamber Dynax - comes in a 750ml can and they give you a 500mm Long wand with it, which was ideal for the C4S/ turbo sills as there are small slots where the side skirts connect.

I have used dinitrol on commercials Aircraft and it is a great product too. The main thing is to use something. If you use a high pressure sprayer, just make sure you use professional level breathing aperatus and cover EVERYTHING in a 50 meter radius as the mist will go everywhere. Even the low pressure Bilt Hamber can caused enough mist to cover both cars in my drive - and possible the neighbours.

The brake fluid reservoir has been cleaned as best I could and refitted.

Elephant racing subframe mounts have arrived, the top parts are pressed in to the subframe and held in place with loctite retaining compound. They didn't take a lot of force to put in and due to the awkward shape of the subframe it was eaier to do some of them without using the press.

The subframes can now be masked and painted.

MC

I have bought a new pair of Behr/Hella radiators and the radiator brackets need either cleaning or replacing, so time to drain the coolant.

Clean up and then remove the drain at the back of the engine near the thermostat housing, then undo the expansion tank lid to let it all come out. Use a BIG bucket, I have a 5 gallon one I use for this.

I then undid the bleed hose at the top of one radiator and drained that, then undid the bottom and then top hose. Top hose could only be removed after the two bolts and a nut holding the radiator bracket on had been removed. Undo the electrical connector for the fans, the entire radiator / fan assembly is then lifted off

MC

The spacers for the rear calipers arrived today so time for a trial fit on rear calipers and disks.

With the 5mm spacers there is loads more clearance than for the fronts. This was on a front wheel but I assume the rear profile is the same. The calipers are a lot smaller. Trial fit with standard bolts but will source 10mm longer ones for fin assembly.

MC

The progress on this is ace.

Top thread!! :thumbs:

ragpicker said:
Handy little helper with funky socks there MC :thumb:

I think I really need to get a Press. Seems like a handy tool to have...

It is a bit like the lift. I thought it would be good to have, but once you have it it makes life so much easier.
That was my lad Alex helping out for once.

MC

Great stuff as ever. That's going to be one minty mint track/fast road car.

Great attention to detail. The servo looks new.

A few random bits. At some point in the future there is a plan to change the gearbox, either CWP, gears, or more likely both. As such I didn't want to mess about with a perfectly good gearbox. I picked one up for £500 which apparently is sometimes a bit graunchy going in to second. As it will be rebuilt anyway I'm not bothered about that.

Trial fit of the brackets for fixing the bottom of the centre radiator. The size is right but I am going to redo them as I bent it at too tight a radius and it cracked slightly. Schoolboy error....

I had a couple of attempts at making a condenser bypass using some low temperature alloy brazing sticks but it didn't work, it always had tiny pinholes in it so I gave up and got it welded properly. I bent up the 8mm id 1mm wall pipe and paid a nice man a few quid to TiG weld it for me. I just need a couple of p-clips to hold it on now.

MC

Looks good, still thinking about ditching my aircon system as well.

Regarding the wheels they look great but wouldn't it be better going for something a bit lighter if its mainly a track car? The Sport Designs are heavy wheels. Even MY02 wheels would save about 2-3kg per wheel.

coullstar said:
Looks good, still thinking about ditching my aircon system as well.

Regarding the wheels they look great but wouldn't it be better going for something a bit lighter if its mainly a track car? The Sport Designs are heavy wheels. Even MY02 wheels would save about 2-3kg per wheel.

I like the look of the wheels, that is the main motivation for them. That is not to say that I won't change them in the future.

I'm not ditching the aircon, I am just going to run a single condenser on the offside. The theory being that as the weather is never all that hot in the UK it will work fine, and it will allow more airflow through the other radiator with reduced chance of muck buildup.

MC

Great work, Rad bracket, bracket, is neat :thumb: -

I massaged the tangs on mine to get them to fit :grin: although your rad appears to stand further off the chimney than mine, perhaps because I also massaged that :grin:

Whilst removing parts of the car I have found a couple of sections of rust, there is a bit on the sills as reported before which isn't too bad. Also some around the back. I'll put the photos of the areas affected and the repairs up all together when they are finished, but it does mean a bit of cutting out and new pieces being fitted. As such, the catalysts had to be removed. 6 rusty bolts, an angle grinder, and 2 hours later they are off. I am glad I wasn't doing this when it was really hot.

MC

infrasilver said:
Are the cats going back on if not are they for sale, I think I have a rattly one?

I wasn't planning on taking them off now. I was just going to bolt on a pair of miltek silencers I have. However I have these to fit at some point, along with the switchable silencers for them.

But I was concerned that fitting these might require a remap which I wasn't planning on doing as the engine will be changed at some point. If no remap is required then I'll probably buy a set of lambda sensors and fit these now. In which case they will be spares.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back