Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Federal 595 RS-R ?

Looking good SJ. 8)

Bjorn - I'm running these on mine now. They are supposedly more like the next width up for any given size and maybe are.
I still went for the proper 225/40 and 285/30 sizes for my 8/10 inch wide 18s.
There's a decent amount of rim protection and they look fine.

Great tyres. I've used them over the years on various track cars. First time I've tried them on a 911 but I'm as impressed as ever. £390 per set compared to maybe £800 for michelins. They only come with about 5mm of tread though.
As mentioned above they aren't meant to be great in rain but I got caught in a monsoon on Friday afternoon and I was fine on the A1. Just be aware of your speed and watch for deep puddles.

They don't seem any noisier than any other tyres I've had on a 911 and they are actually rated at 2db quieter than Michelin Cups.

For a sunny day you or track car I can't see any downside. :thumb:

Sunday and Marky,

I appreciate you both sharing your experiences. Any take on how long these will last typically last with regular (non track) use? Trying to gauge whether I am better off spending slightly more to get tires that will last significantly longer (I am not a pro driver so I don't think I will notice a difference in performance :oops: )

Thanks again!

watch out for some splitting across the tyre and tread width

they always seem to do this and have been told its fine and how the tyre is bonded.

its like a line goes across the middle of the tyre but not to the edges of the tyres and rim. just keep an eye on the tyres and more likely to happen on the rears of a 911 which is wear the drive load and stresses are.

Yeah this was big about 5 or 6 years ago. Apparently sorted since about 2013/14.

You can see exactly where the splits might occur though as there are slight moulding lines across the tread. Never had it happen on any of mine but there's a bit online about it.

Worth keeping an eye on though, as you say. :thumb:

Has anyone tried these and Michelin sport 4s?

Interested to hear how the two compare against each other tbh. I've run RSR's in the past but never 4S's

NO comparison . like ZERO

PS4S is the best road tyres out there and top end. its an epic tyre.

works in the dry, wet and just amazing grip. up to date compound and uses a lot of the rubber tech from the Cup 2

federal is a budget tyres really maybe middle ground. the PS4S is the ultimate road tyres (IMO)

Hi sundayjumper. Did you go with the federals? I'd be very interested to hear how you got on.
I have p-zeros all round that came on the car. Tears are near their limits and fronts are all cracked from age.

I'm building my car on a budget and the federals seem to get a good review, excellent at the price from what I can see.

I have found a pair of rears in ebay for a great price but they're not rs-r's, they're 595 evo. They garage are going to get back to me with the dates on them to make sure they're not old and hard. Can't really find much info, some say better in the wet but you never know what to believe online. They seem to be the same tread pattern semi slick idea. I couldn't find fronts to match but can get the rs-r's easy enough.

My car will only be a toy and I want to get a few track days in.

I've read all the pilot sports stuff but I just don't have the cash. Or need for the top end stuff

I don't think 595EVO are the same as RSR. I believe EVO are more like 'everyday tyre'.

I tried 595 RSR and they're fine.

Also tried Nankang NS2R and they're fine also, although they're not the bargain they once were.

*both were on a 1100kg car
** I would choose NS2R over 595 RSR due to shoulder wear on the RSR, but that was from a few years ago so not sure if RSR have improved since.

Y2K said:
I don't think 595EVO are the same as RSR. I believe EVO are more like 'everyday tyre'.

I tried 595 RSR and they're fine.

Also tried Nankang NS2R and they're fine also, although they're not the bargain they once were.

*both were on a 1100kg car
** I would choose NS2R over 595 RSR due to shoulder wear on the RSR, but that was from a few years ago so not sure if RSR have improved since.

Hi y2k. I bought the evos simply because they were a complete bargain. I was planning on going for rs-r's In the front to be a reasonably close match. I'll just keep an eye open for a keen deal

That won't be bad actually, RSR front, EVO rear. A bit more 'drifty drifty' :) :wink:

That'll do me :lol:

I'm going through the suspension here atm and I want to get it well enough set up for fun.

NedHan79 said:
Hi sundayjumper. Did you go with the federals? I'd be very interested to hear how you got on.

I did and I've been very happy with them, although I've only done two track days and a few hundred road miles, and never used them in bad weather. For my kind of use I'd definitely buy them again.

(FWIW over the last 12 months I've been having more fun rallying in my E36 Compact, hence lack of use for the 996!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back