Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WANTED: 996 Carrera 2, Manual, Aerokit

Spot welded in. A new non-sunroof panel is about £400. Then you need a roof lining, fitting, and paint. I just picked up an alcantara roof lining for £200. You can sell on the sunroof panel, roof panel, and roof lining. I am doing it on my C4 project car so you can follow it there amongst all the other noise.

MC

Well who'd have thought it.
Better than £5K for an aerokit fitted!
I'll have a look, thanks.

Y2K, yes, saw that one and ruled it out due to the sunroof.
I've been a bit ruthless with my 3 key criteria - non-sunroof, aero and dark interior.

A year down the line from when I started looking, I may have to start thinking laterally.
Some good advice here.

Ls1 - that's a long search. You really are going to have to give on a couple of points. You've missed this glorious summer.

I bought my used genuine aerokit for £1800. Only item that wasn't genuine were the side skirts so I've kept them as spares and bought some used genuine ones for £300.

You're better off with used genuine parts than copy new parts, trust me. Even the genuine parts don't fit absolutely perfectly, so if Porsche don't make em perfect, imagine what the Chinese copies are like.

The only non oem items I'm using are the front splitter as they don't last five minutes anyway and the rear gurney strip as it's a perfect copy and nobody would know the difference.

So an aerokit should only add on about £2500 including paint and genuine screws and fitting kit. Quite a lot though and it makes Limeys look like an utter bargain given the genuine GT3 seats which are worth £2.5k plus.

Seriously though, that's a very long search.

Mark

I see what you mean but presumably genuine aerokits for sale are even rarer than the spec I'm after. Presumably you bought the kit from rickyhull, which was an unusual situation as he removed it as he was struggling to sell his car at the time.

There are no aerokits for sale on eBay at the moment nor on here as far as I'm aware.

It shouldn't be this hard buying a car when you've a healthy budget to play with. Might have to consider an Evora!

MisterCorn said:
is1 said:
Limey
I meant I've looked at your advert as posted by coullstar!
I know it will be a tough task finding what I want and I may have to add an aerokit to an otherwise suitable car.

Cheaper to change the roof.

MC
I was thinking that :lol:

I bought my kit off a car the same colour as mine (black) but ended up getting it sprayed anyway. Not Ricky's.

Same thing though, guy took it off and sold the car for a bit less.

Says a bit about some buyers. Standard maybe best. I'm not selling my car though and don't make decisions based on what the next owner may want. :wink:

Aerokits are becoming very rare now. We have passed the peak point of available used parts. Genuine kits, seats and other certain parts are now becoming very hard to source.

As Mistercorn says, it's a lot cheaper to fit a non sunroof roof skin and headlining.

Keep looking though, it'll be winter soon so you now have another year until next summer. :grin:
Just joking obviously. :thumb:

I must admit though I'm baffled as to why you aren't all over Limeys.
Rare colour, aerokit, black interior. So the only thing stopping you is a sunroof. Seems bonkers to me but it's your money and your search.

is1 said:
Presumably you bought the kit from rickyhull, which was an unusual situation as he removed it as he was struggling to sell his car at the time

:grin:

Good shot :thumbs:

He's been around a while on these shores, it was MK not Hull.

You need to be up a bit earlier then that to catch the worms on this forum :thumb:

HSC911 said:
is1 said:
Presumably you bought the kit from rickyhull, which was an unusual situation as he removed it as he was struggling to sell his car at the time

:grin:

Good shot :thumbs:

He's been around a while on these shores, it was MK not Hull.

You need to be up a bit earlier then that to catch the worms on this forum :thumb:

Clearly I'm new around here but I don't quite understand the point of this comment. My point to Mark was that he was probably fortunate to get a genuine pre-owned Aerokit as they aren't exactly ten a penny and I know Ricky was selling a kit earlier in the year. That situation may not repeat itself very often.

Marky911 said:
I must admit though I'm baffled as to why you aren't all over Limeys.
Rare colour, aerokit, black interior. So the only thing stopping you is a sunroof. Seems bonkers to me but it's your money and your search.

Mark

You have to see it in context - up to now, I had no idea that replacing the roof panel was in any way viable. I'm willing to put £15-20K into the car on top of the purchase price (engine rebuild (poss. 3.7) and any other work required), so I need the right "base" to begin with. No point doing that with a base car that isn't quite right. That's all.

Limey's is 99.99% there based on the advert (although I haven't viewed it).

Good luck in finding 100% what you're looking for, £15-20K is quite a healthy budget to add to the purchase price so you should end up with a super car :thumb:

Whats the matter with a sunroof? Yes there is potential to leak and yes its a little more weight up high but in reality does it really make that much difference?
Ive loved having one on mine this summer TBH. Id be going to look at Limeys for sure.

coullstar said:
Whats the matter with a sunroof? Yes there is potential to leak and yes its a little more weight up high but in reality does it really make that much difference?
Ive loved having one on mine this summer TBH. Id be going to look at Limeys for sure.

Exactly what you said really. It can leak, it is heavier, it doesn't make much difference. I am changing the roof on my car because the roof needs a respray anyway, and by the time the sunroof parts have been sold off it only costs a relatively small amount of money.

MC

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back