Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trip to Stelvio and Lake Garda

Shedman

Hi

I'm not planning a trip with a mate to Stelvio and then meeting our wives in Lake Garda. Has anyone here taken their car to Sirmione and have any advice on hotels with secure parking.

Ta

My wife and I recently went down to Lake Garda to follow the Mille Miglia rally and on one of the nights we rented an apartment off Airbnb that overlooked the lake and was very close to Sirmione.

It really was a very nice spacious apartment and the lady who owns it, lives close by and speaks great English.

The apartment is in a block that also has a very nice communal pool that you are free to use.

Obviously it doesn't meet your criteria of a hotel in Sirmione but just thought I'd offer it up.

Whilst it doesn't have fully secure parking. It does have an off-road car park that seem very respectable and we parked there without any problems.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/16343928?location=Sirmione, Province of Brescia, Italy&s=xP9AdBOR

Can't help on Sirmione, but the Aqualux Spa in Bardolino has a great underground car park if you've not booked anywhere yet. It's also an excellent hotel.

Shedman said:
I'm not planning a trip with a mate to Stelvio and then meeting our wives in Lake Garda. Has anyone here taken their car to Sirmione and have any advice on hotels with secure parking.

Great typo' :floor:

I've moved this thread from the 993 sub-forum so you'll get more responses.

In the meantime have a scroll down this sub-forum and/or key in the relevant words in the 'Search Forum' function.

I keyed ........ Garda AND hotel .... and got a lot of suggestions

eg => http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106089&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=garda+hotel

Sermione is really busy and you can get cut off from boat trips if it's windy.
Salo despite it's history is a nice faily quiet place and Desenano is handy for the rail link to Venice.
We stayed at Hotel Olive but didn't take the car, it's out of the main drag so resonably quiet, nice pool and great restaurant.
There was a Porsche Club Scandinavia group in Desanzano good selection of cars and had a good chat with some of the drivers.
Personally I wouldn't recommend Sermione as a base with a car it's a real bottleneck and as for security, well it is Italy.

T8 said:
Shedman said:

Great typo' :floor:

I've moved this thread from the 993 sub-forum so you'll get more responses.

In the meantime have a scroll down this sub-forum and/or key in the relevant words in the 'Search Forum' function.

I keyed ........ Garda AND hotel .... and got a lot of suggestions

eg => http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106089&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=garda+hotel

Thanks T8, Mistyped on my iPhone. Last haste more speed in future. Thanks for the suggestions.

mr pg said:
Can't help on Sirmione, but the Aqualux Spa in Bardolino has a great underground car park if you've not booked anywhere yet. It's also an excellent hotel.

Bardolino is definitely an option. Thanks

Endoman said:
Sermione is really busy and you can get cut off from boat trips if it's windy.
Salo despite it's history is a nice faily quiet place and Desenano is handy for the rail link to Venice.
We stayed at Hotel Olive but didn't take the car, it's out of the main drag so resonably quiet, nice pool and great restaurant.
There was a Porsche Club Scandinavia group in Desanzano good selection of cars and had a good chat with some of the drivers.
Personally I wouldn't recommend Sermione as a base with a car it's a real bottleneck and as for security, well it is Italy.

Ta. We stayed in Sermione before so I know what you mean regarding getting busy. Might look elsewhere.

Recently been to Garda to follow the Mille Miglia and stayed in Desenzano, just across from Sirmione; went over to Sirmione on the boat to see the MM time check and liked the place a lot. It was quite crowded though and there are a few hotels with parking but I suppose it depends on how secure it needs to be.
The only hotel in Desenzano that I believe has its own garage is the Park - there was a number of German registered Porsches there when we passed.
We just used an open free car park popular with locals and visitors up behind the Hotel Bonotto - bit dusty but car was OK.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Stelvio. Why it gets hailed as one of Europe's great driving roads is totally beyond me. There is one amazing section from the top, but this isn't worth the drive up in my humble opinion. I've just come back from a 3000 mile road trip and the Stelvio was the worst bit of the trip and that included hours on Italian motorways.

It is very narrow, busy and consists of mainly hairpins, which are usually totally blind. I found it a total chore, but maybe we went at the wrong time of day / year. The passes we drove in Switzerland (Furka, Grimsel etc.) were far more like what I was expecting from the Stelvio.

If you fancy a road trip from Garda, then the Lamborghini, Ferrari and Pagani museums / factories are not too far. I recommend booking the Pagani factory tour as it is one of the best car related things I have ever done.

Paddy78 said:
I personally wouldn't bother with the Stelvio. Why it gets hailed as one of Europe's great driving roads is totally beyond me. There is one amazing section from the top, but this isn't worth the drive up in my humble opinion. I've just come back from a 3000 mile road trip and the Stelvio was the worst bit of the trip and that included hours on Italian motorways.

It is very narrow, busy and consists of mainly hairpins, which are usually totally blind. I found it a total chore, but maybe we went at the wrong time of day / year. The passes we drove in Switzerland (Furka, Grimsel etc.) were far more like what I was expecting from the Stelvio.

If you fancy a road trip from Garda, then the Lamborghini, Ferrari and Pagani museums / factories are not too far. I recommend booking the Pagani factory tour as it is one of the best car related things I have ever done.

Totally agree Paddy, I'd rather have long and sweeping rather than sharp and steep. The real reason to go to Stelvio is that my mate is a cyclist so will be riding it. I'm his support crew which means drive up some of it, stop and wait for a while and cheer when he passes and repeat and repeat.

DavidRussell said:
Recently been to Garda to follow the Mille Miglia and stayed in Desenzano, just across from Sirmione; went over to Sirmione on the boat to see the MM time check and liked the place a lot. It was quite crowded though and there are a few hotels with parking but I suppose it depends on how secure it needs to be.
The only hotel in Desenzano that I believe has its own garage is the Park - there was a number of German registered Porsches there when we passed.
We just used an open free car park popular with locals and visitors up behind the Hotel Bonotto - bit dusty but car was OK.

Thanks David, Desenzano seems to be favourite at the moment. Also has the benefit of a train station so the girls can go to Venice while we drive home through France.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back