Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo

To be honest, I never got on with my 997 turbo when I first got it and several times debated whether to move onto something else. It was only after having the suspension setup by Centre Gravity & fitting some MPS4S tyres to it that I really got confidence in the handling and could push the car harder & start to enjoy it. Now I totally love it and cant see me selling it anytime soon.

I understand about the noise, the car is quiet, however after I fitted some RSS engine mounts the car now sounds like a race car inside, the engine noise when you accelerate is something else.

Of course, mine is a manual, but id certainly be looking at the sprint booster phil997 suggested and see if that helps if the tip is the issue.

The issue with 'tuning' a Gen 1 is that the exhaust is all one unit, whereas the Gen 2 is modular so you can whip off the silencer and fit anything you like. Whereas with the Gen 1 you have to buy 'cats' as well, no option unless you delete them altogether.
The Akrapovich is handy if you have any dead bodies that need awakening, Phil tripped the noise police at Spa with his and we all got pulled off, so to speak!
I have the Sharkwerks on mine and it's surprisingly civilised for a silencer delete :D

easternjets said:
The issue with 'tuning' a Gen 1 is that the exhaust is all one unit, whereas the Gen 2 is modular so you can whip off the silencer and fit anything you like. Whereas with the Gen 1 you have to buy 'cats' as well, no option unless you delete them altogether.
The Akrapovich is handy if you have any dead bodies that need awakening, Phil tripped the noise police at Spa with his and we all got pulled off, so to speak!
I have the Sharkwerks on mine and it's surprisingly civilised for a silencer delete :D

:floor: :floor: :floor: something about wakeing lone time dead racing drivers at Spa. I cant see the issue with 133db myself lol, but as Nick says there are more civilised options if opening the gates of hell doesnt float your boat, but you want a bit more sports car sound. :thumb: :thumb:

Yobbo!! The streets of Gotham were wide awake!

Attachments

• p5010155_101.jpg
    p5010155_101.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 2,697
Cheers for all the replies fellas much appreciated, some food for thought.

Has anyone jumped from a 997 into a 991 prices aren't that far apart now ?

wildej said:

I'd be interested in thoughts on that too. Was starting to wonder myself.....

easternjets said:
Yobbo!! The streets of Gotham were wide awake!

:floor: :floor: :floor: nice pic Nick :thumb: yobbo lol love it

hedgehogsdad said:
wildej said:

I'd be interested in thoughts on that too. Was starting to wonder myself.....

The general consensus of opinion was that they favoured the 997, it is a bigger car and from the brief look at one and quick drive I have to say I agree.
991 turbo S seem to be dropping more than the std turbo for whatever reason. Personally I think you'll lose less on a 997 Turbo 1 or 2 than a 991, provided of course you buy at the right money in the first place.

rabbitstew said:
To be honest, I never got on with my 997 turbo when I first got it and several times debated whether to move onto something else. It was only after having the suspension setup by Centre Gravity & fitting some MPS4S tyres to it that I really got confidence in the handling and could push the car harder & start to enjoy it. Now I totally love it and cant see me selling it anytime soon.

'I understand about the noise, the car is quiet, however after I fitted some RSS engine mounts the car now sounds like a race car inside, the engine noise when you accelerate is something else"

I was thinking a Kline, regards the engine mounts do you have a video from within the car? I didn't think they'd transmit as much engine noise. Design 911 sell them it seems, a little pricy though, they also look straight forward to fit.

My Kline transformed the noise, I love mine and love the tip box. I don't want to try a pdk Turbo because I know I'd be in trouble! That said I love the gen2 interior and mezger engine combination 👍

They are a bit pricey but you do get different bushings which give you different levels of stiffness, you don't want to go to OTT as you will get a lot of noise transmitted through the chassis into the car. They are straight forward to fit but you will need to strip a lot of internals out to get to them and release the bolts.
A ramp would be your best option but I know you can do it with axle stands and a trolley jack.
As for exhausts if it's a Gen 1 go for a Kline, sometimes they do come up on here for sale but you have to be quick, very quick!
Removal is straight forward, the only thing that will hold you up is rusted nuts and studs, so again a ramp is a lot easier to tackle the job. If your doing all this you might as well do the manifolds as well. You'll also probably have to cut the two straps that hold the exhaust onto the car under the bumper cover, they will be totally shot as they're open to the elements.
some pics to give you an idea.

Attachments

• 20170117_161631_138.jpg
    20170117_161631_138.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 1,215
    20170117_161631_138.jpg
    20170117_161631_138.jpg
  • 20170117_161715_209.jpg
    20170117_161715_209.jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 1,215
    20170117_161715_209.jpg
    20170117_161715_209.jpg
One other thing, I also did my water pump and belts at the same time. The water pumps do tend to fail and whilst it's not a trailer home situation they do leak constantly and the only thing to do is change them. If your doing all this other work and a water pump is about a £100, the labour alone if you need to change it later will be probably £300, as everything your removing now will have to come off again!
Just a thought.
Autodoc is cheapest for water pumps and they'll supply a Pierburg which is what's on your car now.

Really interesting to see views on this! I loved my turbo tip at first but after a few months, realised that I was struggling with it.

I knew it was a sensational car but I found the tip box immensely frustrating. I couldn't stand the delay between pressing the button and the gear changing. I also couldn't help noticing the fact it sounded like a stressed hairdryer at high revs.

I took advice from people on here and ended up keeping it for 18 months, but in the end those two elements were enough to make me move on (and luckily I made a small profit on the sale!). My thread here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117824

I now have a 991.1 C4S. Noticeably slower of course but the sound, driving experience (searched far and wide for a manual) and power delivery are all much more to my taste. I haven't looked back.

But of course, each to their own!

AngusG said:
Really interesting to see views on this! I loved my turbo tip at first but after a few months, realised that I was struggling with it.

I knew it was a sensational car but I found the tip box immensely frustrating. I couldn't stand the delay between pressing the button and the gear changing. I also couldn't help noticing the fact it sounded like a stressed hairdryer at high revs.

I took advice from people on here and ended up keeping it for 18 months, but in the end those two elements were enough to make me move on (and luckily I made a small profit on the sale!). My thread here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117824

I now have a 991.1 C4S. Noticeably slower of course but the sound, driving experience (searched far and wide for a manual) and power delivery are all much more to my taste. I haven't looked back.

But of course, each to their own!

991 C4S is on my radar also but PDK for me.
Hopefully going to view a couple this week.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back