Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Harness loom replaced under recall and found...........

Exactly that. The bit in the engine bay was the recall part (for earlier cars) as I understood from talking to Porsche GB, but my issue was with the wiring buried deeper in the car.

Anyone got a beat solution for a fire extinguisher which does not intrude the cabin much?

tyinsky said:
Anyone got a beat solution for a fire extinguisher which does not intrude the cabin much?
This seems like an interesting and discreet option...

Mounted in a 993:

c258d27b_131d_4b11_8ef0_85287a0cbd64_632fef50e6dad4ee3028a49f5ad91e9c77e217f5.jpeg

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-for...u-do-with-your-993-today-79.html#post15120119

pierrebear said:
Agreed that it is worth checking to ensure that one's wiring harness has been redone. I had a quick look and mine is one of the offending part numbers as seen in the Technical Service Booklet.

Couple of pics attached - part number is on the white sticker on the wires themselves. The date was written on in fountain pen! :lol:

Wires in the box itself look absolutely fine, but the issue (as I understand it) might well be what's happening elsewhere in the harness where there's more heat...
Sorry if i'm being thick where are thos pictires taken? the fuse/relay box in the frunk? or somewhere else?

jhrfc said:
pierrebear said:
Agreed that it is worth checking to ensure that one's wiring harness has been redone. I had a quick look and mine is one of the offending part numbers as seen in the Technical Service Booklet.

Couple of pics attached - part number is on the white sticker on the wires themselves. The date was written on in fountain pen! :lol:

Wires in the box itself look absolutely fine, but the issue (as I understand it) might well be what's happening elsewhere in the harness where there's more heat...
Sorry if i'm being thick where are thos pictires taken? the fuse/relay box in the frunk? or somewhere else?
Engine compartment. I had the recall done soon after I got the car. The dash instruments went haywire and it ran very rich. Indie where I bought the car had no idea. Not impressed do not use them anymore.

jhrfc said:

Hi,

It's in the engine compartment, LHS rear next to the rear fan, black box with a yellow warning sticker on it.

ATB :)

Attachments

• lhs_relay_box_291.jpg
    lhs_relay_box_291.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5,433
  • lhs_rear_power_box_105.jpg
    lhs_rear_power_box_105.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 5,430
Yes, the pics are from the engine bay box on the left hand side.

Chet - that extinguisher is a revelation. I will almost certainly get one or two of these.

Checked with OPC Bolton this morning- my car hasn't had the work done, booked in for next week

Thanks for the heads up

Does this problem affect all model years? Mine is a 1997 car and I can't see any paperwork to suggest it has had a recall/ been inspected.

pierrebear said:
Yes, the pics are from the engine bay box on the left hand side.

Chet - that extinguisher is a revelation. I will almost certainly get one or two of these.

Had a look at mine. Couldn't find anything resembling the offending part number on my sticker, the number on the sticker on the wires is still 993.607.016.15 0/1
plus my vin comes up clear on the online recall checker. so i guess that leaves me in the clear.
Thanks
J

The info given in the link earlier in the thread suggests 1995 & 1996 model years

Dodgy wiring should have been picked up during my engine rebuild (see my other thread) but I thought this still worth checking. Cambridge OPC said my March 1996 car doesn't need this recall. But it does need a recall for an updated horn relay (which they can't just give me to fit myself). Doesn't sound particularly serious, but it's free so why not.

Ridders said:
The info given in the link earlier in the thread suggests 1995 & 1996 model years

Thanks

pierrebear said:
I'm tempted, too. Just wish to know how effective they really are first... would preferred to have seen it demo'd on a real (controlled) fire.

jhrfc said:
........ plus my VIN comes up clear on the online recall checker. so I guess that leaves me in the clear.
Thanks
J

Hi J

What link were you using for the online checker?
I know of this one: Linky - but this states "The search tool will return information on applicable recalls made from calendar year 1999 until today.

Thing is - I don't know if this means cars post 1999, or any recalls announced post 1999 - and when was the wiring harness recall made available?

Were you using the same link?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yarders
Back