Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 PASM

cbennett7

Hi,
Sorry for the daft question but when pressing the PASM button to the 'sport' setting to stiffen the suspension does this alter the ride height and can you see the body actually lower by what i thought was supposed to be 10mm? I thought I had seen my previous 997.1 and 997.2 ride height alter when switching from normal to sport settings on PASM but cannot see any ride height change on latest 991.1. The ride does feel stiffer though.
Car has developed a handling issue that main dealer cannot find fault. This is the first 911 that does not feel 'planted' and am trying to self diagnose before sending back again and suspect there may be a fault with PASM despite there being no warning messages.
Thanks

Putting PASM into Sport mode doesn't alter the ride height on the 997 or 991.

PASM cars are always 10mm lower than a non-PASM car (ignoring the Sport
chassis).

cbennett7 said:
Car has developed a handling issue that main dealer cannot find fault.s
As already indicated, no change in the ride height with the Sport or Sport+ buttons pressed.

Can you describe the handling issue which you are experiencing ?

cbennett7 said:
Hi,
Sorry for the daft question but when pressing the PASM button to the 'sport' setting to stiffen the suspension does this alter the ride height and can you see the body actually lower by what i thought was supposed to be 10mm? I thought I had seen my previous 997.1 and 997.2 ride height alter when switching from normal to sport settings on PASM but cannot see any ride height change on latest 991.1. The ride does feel stiffer though.
Car has developed a handling issue that main dealer cannot find fault. This is the first 911 that does not feel 'planted' and am trying to self diagnose before sending back again and suspect there may be a fault with PASM despite there being no warning messages.
Thanks

As DRZ911 asks, it needs a bit more detail? If it's recent and no damage to suspension or error codes, could be tyre pressures exacerbated by the very high temperatures? OPCs ain't the best on things like this to be honest.

Thanks for clarifying the ride height question.
Re the handling one OPC senior tech drove and agreed that the steering wheel needed constant correction. I said the front felt light and the rear loose, as if the ride height was higher at front and lower at the back. Tyre pressures all good. OPC suggested toe/camber check but could not look at for 7 weeks so another OPC took over the investigation and found nothing alarming when doing 4 wheel geometry. They said it drove fine so i have put up with it. Beg of week,I lost the back end in the rain turning at a junction from a virtual standstill upto maybe 15MPH but no damage, only surprised. I have driven same model at porsche experience and it's not easy to lose back end even on the ice hill you really have to work the accelerator, so this really surprised me. I did advise OPC that a few months back when detailing the car what looked like a small patch of oil had burned through lacquer of both rear alloys right under the rear brake and suspension which now has me thinking the PASM has leaked. I am afraid i am out of my depth on this but all i know is handling is worrying. Original OPC has agreed to look at again so will send in but was hoping for some guidance in meantime. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to look for a decent indie to check it out.

Are you anywhere near centre gravity in the midlands?

The main symptom seems to be that the steering wheel needs constant corrective inputs to keep you going in the desired direction - tyres and suspension have to be the main suspects.

Just some more suggestions to those already identified :-

1. Tread depth below 3 mm ?
2. Significant difference in tread depth front to rear ?
3. Different brands of tyre front and rear ?
Would have assumed the OPC would have noticed 1-3.

4. Sensor on damper faulty, so that one or more dampers is in sports mode whilst the others are in standard mode ?
5. Bolt(s) loose on front/rear suspension control arms?
6, Brake pad stuck/dislodged?
7. Balance weights dropped off a wheel?
8. Faulty PASM control modulle ?
9. Electronic park brake constantly trying to engage on one or both rear wheels?

Good luck in finding a solution.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back