Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 / 997 Targa roof problems with rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
infrasilver said:
It's not something I have had chance to look at yet but will report back as soon as I work it out.

Just popped these off today, it was two pins going into plastic clips, I levered them off under the rubber first then eased the rest up, came off quite easily. They are actually aluminium not plastic as I had thought (used a magnet to check originally).

29920483578_1d9358f185_z.jpg

42887175545_1f664b550a_z.jpg

I have prepped with first coat of primer and will base coat and lacquer when I get chance.

43790641311_d4c3b4ced5_z.jpg

43742759712_8e681b98f1_z.jpg

There is evidence that water sits at the end of these blades and why they have corroded. Hopefully it helps someone in the future?

Hi,

I used to be on the 996 forum before scored bores ended that... now the proud/slightly scared owner of a 997.2 Targa 4...

So the first rain in what feels like months and the roof seems pretty tight - there is a bit of moisture along the nylon (?) gauze-y material that compresses when the roof drops - is this normal? I assume the centre plastic piece by the blind is to catch any drips and these are then channeled off to the side where they then run down to the rear drain holes? Is a bit of moisture here normal?

The material seems to sit adjacent to the drain rather than around it - I'll try and upload a photo. In the meantime any comments to calm my nerves are welcome.

Thanks

Charlie

You have a fabric cover .. well 4 to be exact .. 2 front and 2 rear and these do get white stains on them .. water causes it basically .. almost normal .. it just means a little more water is getting in than standard but thats what the gutters are for so not a problem as such .. you can always wipe it off with a damp cloth .

The front ones do compress when operateing the roof

The gutter is the other side of these fabric panels .

Rule of thumb with these cars .. if you get damp carpets or if the car mists up inside on the windows in the morning then you have a leak and there are several places they can leak from .. not all are expensive.

Rear leaks are often there for a long time until noticed due to the shear amount of foam under the rear and front carpets .. its a huge sponge basically so the above check with misting will give you an indication .

Slow roof .. hmm .. they are slow normally .. you have to have the engine running and as long as it completes a full cycle open close without stopping then its ok .

There is unfortunatly nothing you can do to speed this operation up .. lubricateing anything is just a short term fix .. it WILL make it worse in the long term.

This thread is more aimed at the bigger problems .. so its kinda like haveing a pain in your back then googleing it .. it will always turn out to be something that you will die from !!!

Any photos are always usefull for me as im working from descriptions other wise when a picture tells me so much more .

[email protected]

Email addy in case you cant upload pictures ... ill do it for you .

Thanks for the response. All makes sense. I had a good root around at the back of the car and all seems dry and no condensation inside this morning. There is a bit of crud gathered in various nooks and crannies around the roof that I'm working my way through and the various rubber seals need a clean and bringing back to life. Drain holes appear to be clear from the top at least but we'll see...

Roof operation seems good, neither quick nor slow just a steady speed open and close.

I'll post up some photos over the weekend hopefully.

03 targa roof

When I hit the button to open the roof I just get a clicking sound at the back near the motors. What could be the issue?

A few things will stop the roof from working at all ..

1/ The car thinks the rear hatch is open , dont normally get a clicking noise but its possible .

Try opening and closeing the rear hatch.

2/ One of the 2 motors has stopped working .. there is no way one motor will move the roof as the other will jam it if not working .

Ive never seen a dead motor in all my time working on these though .

3/ The cables have jammed or the roof mechanism has .. thats a garage job and not cheap im afraid.

4/ Problem with the control unit .. again ive never come across it before but its just about possible .

My money is on 1 or 3 .

For any mechanics doing this job ..

If you are replaceing the rear blinds then DONT just fit them out of the packet ..

Due to the way Porsche have stored these and the fact they are 5 years old then there is a certain fix to make sure they dont jump out when in operation .

If they do it damages the plastic guide and you WILL need to buy another one ...

This is mainly for the o/s blind but usefull for the n/s as well .

Rear blinds can only be replaced with the roof out .

PM me for details on how to get around this fault .

Quick question DeMort and I thought it may add something to this Targa thread I have my roof rails off to aid wrapping the car and when I popped them off the middle came up easily but the outer parts were a little harder. I applied a little more force and it came up but broke the clips at either end, I did try sliding them before I used more force but they still didn't pop up.

Q, are these metal clips available separately, I know the middle plastic ones are. The metal outer ones did seem to break too easily and I was being reasonably careful.

Some pics to help explain.

45753880872_6d39d55b7e_c.jpg

31932487118_95acec829d_c.jpg

45753908952_945348b6eb_c.jpg

They are going to be part of that strip im afraid .. you have to slide the covers backwards to get them out ... to be fair it is tricky .. you have to try and line up a hole you cant see and these cars aint new anymore .. things jam / stick and cant be removed without damage ... try explaining it to a customer ;)

You can get around it though .. the center clips .. they often come unstuck when i remove these trims .. i use silicone to refit them .. so do the same on these clips then a silicone lump at each end and stick it down with masking tape untill its cured ... the front section should go just under the windscreen seal .

Or replace both strips which is expensive and not really needed .

997 is different .. they are pressed in place .

Cheers, I did price up new strips but obviously the were quite expensive and thought there may be another way around it. I did think of buying 4 more centre clips and putting then either end close to the original metal clips and hope that does the trick. Silicone does seem a cheaper option though, even those centre clips are £11 each. :thumb:

Trust me .. use silicone on the old center clips and a big lump each end .. it WILL work .. new covers are not required .

Also anything to this post helps people in the future so im glad of any input .. im not going to be here forever to answer questions on this .. so the more info the better :thumb:

Edit ..

just to say .. you need the roof open and the hatch open to mask the strip down .. drop the lock on the tailgate hatch .. you can open the roof then .. glass will be exposed under the tailgate hatch but it wont damage anything .

Parts help please

Hi guys can anyone let me know the part numbers for the cables for the targa roof? I've done a partial strip down and the left cable is broken up. Thanks

Part number here is i think correct .. its for the guide tubes with the cables ..

https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2668&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=85180

Personally i would confirm via an OPC .. ask for the glass roof cables and the part number .

Bear in mind you can not replace these with the roof in situ ... see images on the first page of this thread of how to change them ...

Image ... P2260058.jpg .

You can no longer buy just the cables on their own , porsche have discontinued this part .

DeMort thanks for your reply, I found a place that still sells the cables, have them on order now and will carry out the repairs next week. Been a few years since I last had one of these roofs apart. Wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back