Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tapping Noise - video

queenmonkey

Trainee
Hi guys, i've developed a tapping noise over the past 18 months. It used to only be for a few seconds at start up but now is getting more regular and louder! My car is a 98 C2 3.4 with 80k on it. I've changed plugs etc and had a new manifold in the last fews days - made no difference. It does quieten down at times and then come back. The weirdest thing is that sometimes - when i thottle off (and the windows down) i can hear it out of tune with the rest of the engine - almost as though there's something running on it's own momentum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nywk3sLSe84

Any ideas?

ps it's coming from the drivers side bank

QM

Hi Coullstar, no discernable difference in plugs. Oil filter looked ok. Oil consumption is minimal. Whilst the mileage is 80k the engine was replaced at 30k.
QM

Hi Coullstar, it is loud and is getting on my nerves! I'm putting Mobil 1 0/40 in it as it was on offer at Costcos's and the previous owner used it I was thinking of giving it a flush with something like 'seafoam' and then try a thicker oil. Are you aware any oils/ grades that might suit this type of issue?
QM

personally on 80k miles I would be using 10w50 oil either millers nano as reccomended by hartech or mobil :thumb:

Sounds very much like a tappet to me ..

Lets face it .. you have had the noise for 18 monthes and its slowly gotten worse .. if it was something terminal it would have died long ago so we can pretty much rule out tensioners , chains .. big end etc due to the time its been there .

In the early stages you notice a difference in noise when its cold to when its hot .. i expect yours just makes the noise all the time now.

Downside .. you need the cams removed on that bank to get at them ... can be done in situe from memory but at a total guess im thinking £500 ish notes to replace one broken tappet ... lot more if the engine has to be dropped or its all of them on that bank ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back