Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Curious behaviour with unlocking

MarkC4S

Spa-Francorchamps
I have noticed on a number of occasions that if I don't use the car for a while, the remote unlocking seems become very weak. This is not a car battery or key battery issue.

When I am actively using the car it will unlock in response to the key from quite a long distance (say 20-30 feet), but after a period of non-use, say 1-2 weeks, it becomes unresponsive from a few feet. When this happens I have to hold the key close to the wing mirror and it then opens, after this it opens and closes okay. The other day my normal key wouldn't open car at all, so I used the spare key close to the nearside mirror to get it open, then back to normal.

Can anybody explain what is going on, is this some kind of "feature"?

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about and just the remote locking going into sleep mode.

The remote unlocking goes into sleep mode after a period of time, like what you are experiencing.
To reactivate, simply lift the door handle once, then use the key fob as usual to unlock.
Simples. :thumb:

One of my favourite hidden eggs about the 911 this, Saving its own battery power when not in use! - As some of us only flaunt our 911's when the weathers nice :)

Fantastic, yes must be sleep mode. Must remember to RTFM!
Thanks for that info and the reactivation method.

Was just starting to panic until I read this. Thank you. Don't remember my 993 having fancy shizzle like 'Sleep Mode" :eek:

And if you open the bonnet with the key fob and don't open a do it, it will self lock. Do for crying out loud, don't rest your keys in the front. :eek:

Mine does this too, I thought it was the battery getting lazy, never heard of this 'sleep" mode before. Good to know 👍

Happens to my 996 too.
I'll try lifting the handle next time to wake up the car rather than opening the door and waking up the neighbours when the alarm goes off!

I don't remember the handle trick working on my 996. Unlock/lock with key should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back