Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear screen seal - lifting

So true...but hopefully once it's done it another job off the list!!

guards red said:
stuttgartmetal said:
So the answer is ?

As the answers above state, the seal is cosmetic in that the screen itself is structural and bonded.

The 993 screen fitting is complicated by the legacy of the shell - previous 911s had a screen held in only by the rubber seal itself. They were not bonded. Porsche have adapted the shell and bonded the screen in the 993, however the space for the screen in quite wide meaning that any screen needs to be properely gapped when bonded. Porsche use (did use!) templates to ensure it sits where it needs to when being bonded.

Your after market people are unlikley to be aware and will just go for it meaning the screen may have uneven gaps leaving the cosmetic seal all over the place. Also not bonding correctly will make the screen squeak.

The screen has a plastic channel around its entire circumferance which is bonded to it. The seal is flat rubber with a tongue underneath that slots into the channel.

Over time the channel weakens and splits meaning the seals tongue will not stay in place. The correct solution is to replace the screen as the channel is bonded to it. However I'd avoid screen replacement if at all possible if its in good shape and does already squeak.

However you can buy Permatex (or Silkaflex) which can be gunned into the channel and the seal glued in place. The seal is held with strong tape til the Permatex sets.

One word of warning, the Permatex is lethal to new paint, make sure you only use it in the channel.

Permatex is also used to bond the door seals in place so its good and strong.

Regards
GR

Thank you for this. This forum is great :)

i've sikaflex'd it down for a week or so now with no sign of any further movement or lift. My rear screen work was all carried out by OPC so I don;t have any squeek - thus not wanting to take it out!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back