Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TPMS experts

eatapeach

Hi

I have a TPMS problem that started a few weeks ago, car is Gen 1 997

I got a ns rear low pressure warning, so I checked all 4 tyre pressures and found them to be fine.

Then I got ns front and rear warnings. Then three pressure warnings. Sometimes over inflation, sometimes under inflation.

The TPM units themselves were all new in January, and are OPC units.

So a visit to the OPC was booked for checking the sensors. All 4 show 92 months life left in them, so there isn't a failing one and a dominant one to report back the wrong reading.

The OPC reset everything, and it was back in learning mode. In about an hour it was back to square one, the OPC says to bring the car back for further investigation.

Some days there isn't a problem at all, some days it seems to go into random warning mode.

If the sensors aren't faulty, what is the module receiving the reports - is it a stand alone module or part of a main ECU?

Has anyone had any prior problems with hot weather and intermittent faults on TPMS?

I had exactly this issue with my Jaguar XF. Jaguar replaced the control module and it was cured. On that car is was stand alone unit.

I've just looked in the '997 Essential Companion' and it says that the TPMS control unit is installed in the luggage compartment on the left next to the PSM hydraulic unit so yes it is a stand alone unit.

T8 said:
I've just looked in the '997 Essential Companion' and it says that the TPMS control unit is installed in the luggage compartment on the left next to the PSM hydraulic unit so yes it is a stand alone unit.

Ah that's good news I guess - I'm doing man maths about a possible bill and a stand alone unit is always cheaper than a multi-function unit :D

My assumption at this point is that the control unit is buggered and needs replacing.

T8 said:
I had exactly this issue with my Jaguar XF. Jaguar replaced the control module and it was cured. On that car is was stand alone unit.

If it's not the sensors I can't see what else it would be apart from the control module. :dont know:

T8 said:
T8 said:

If it's not the sensors I can't see what else it would be apart from the control module. :dont know:

yes that's my assumption too

Any ideas about cost of the module?

Not sure new, but there are some on eBay for less than £50.

If the fault or rather the pressure it indicates is a few psi down then control unit is the most obvious .. if you get a reading of zero pressure then i might lean towards an antenna fault .. that would be a bit strange for different wheels at the same time though .

There are 2 types of tpm sensors that fit in the wheel but if the wrong one was fitted it just wouldn,t work .

deMort said:
If the fault or rather the pressure it indicates is a few psi down then control unit is the most obvious .. if you get a reading of zero pressure then i might lean towards an antenna fault .. that would be a bit strange for different wheels at the same time though .

There are 2 types of tpm sensors that fit in the wheel but if the wrong one was fitted it just wouldn,t work .

So it's settled down to 2 errors - one where it has a -- next to all 4 wheels and saying "add air" or three wheels exc offside rear showing -3bar. So it's booked in again at Wilmslow. It's the correct type fitted as they were working fine.

I'll keep this updated when it gets fixed.....

If it says - 3 bar then i dont think the control unit is comunicateing with the sensor so its any part of the system im afraid .. OPC will sort it though .. i have faith in them :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back