Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ave. cost of 997 ownership

spongebob squarepants said:
Phil 997 said:
Hamster75 said:
Phil 997 said:
Hamster75 said:
Wow Phil that sounds a bit heavy to me, perfection or bad luck, I would say mines about £1000 a year 997.2

how long have you had it mate , mine was based on 6 yrs the first 4 as you can see were much lower but it seems from lots of peoples discussions 2k is about the ave over a number of years :thumb: :thumb: and of course if your is a later gen2 with low miles some of the wear and tear items wont have happened yet. :thumb: my 7k since xmas goes something like this

condenser pipes corroded -1200
clutch and duel mass flywheel -1800
gearbox rebuild consisting of full set and syncros gears 2 and 3 -2800
PAX window regulator- 350
pads and discs -1000

So theory being none of those should need touching again for a few years so hopefully the gen2 ownership ave will come down a bit over time. although I have got a solenoid on the right bank playing up so being replaced at the weekend so add another couple of hundred to the list lol.

talking to the tech at the OPC gear 2 synchro is very common on gen2 manuals :nooo:

I've had mine 4 years albeit 2 years were under OPC warranty & they did do quite a bit just before warranty ran out, window regulator, power steering rack & full coolant hoses front to back, not had much since only services & sundries, it had new tires discs, when bought from OPC.
I do 2500 miles per year on average, slightly worried now hearing all these other costs, dont like the one about gear boxes, I better start putting a fund ready or trade it in while it still works :?:

:floor: :floor: dont think you need to panic just yet , yes I have spent a few quid but I do drive it nearly every day and do a minimum of 12k pa in it.So it will take you 5 years to do the same as I do in 1 year :grin: :grin: :thumb: But genuinly theres nothing wrong with starting a fund £100/150 pm and after a few years if you havent used it you have a nice little pot to help with the next car of have a holiday but should you need some of it its nice to not have to fork it out of your everyday family money.

:eek: I struggle to sleep even with an OPC warranty :eek: :grin:

:floor: :floor: :floor: a bath with Radox and a nice massage will help with that mate .... :eek: and no I am not offereing :grin: :grin:

HSC911 said:
Swampy said:
I have had my Nov 2009 997/2 C4s for just over a year now,
Ok it went back to OPC for a rattle but they chose to replace 90% of the front suspension for me under warranty before they discovered that it was the window wiper that was at fault...

Swampy 1:OPC 0 :redcard:

:grin:

Brilliant.

Isn't there a rattle coming from the back as well?
and the tyres?

Phil 997 said:
spongebob squarepants said:
Phil 997 said:
Hamster75 said:
Phil 997 said:
Hamster75 said:
Wow Phil that sounds a bit heavy to me, perfection or bad luck, I would say mines about £1000 a year 997.2

how long have you had it mate , mine was based on 6 yrs the first 4 as you can see were much lower but it seems from lots of peoples discussions 2k is about the ave over a number of years :thumb: :thumb: and of course if your is a later gen2 with low miles some of the wear and tear items wont have happened yet. :thumb: my 7k since xmas goes something like this

condenser pipes corroded -1200
clutch and duel mass flywheel -1800
gearbox rebuild consisting of full set and syncros gears 2 and 3 -2800
PAX window regulator- 350
pads and discs -1000

So theory being none of those should need touching again for a few years so hopefully the gen2 ownership ave will come down a bit over time. although I have got a solenoid on the right bank playing up so being replaced at the weekend so add another couple of hundred to the list lol.

talking to the tech at the OPC gear 2 synchro is very common on gen2 manuals :nooo:

I've had mine 4 years albeit 2 years were under OPC warranty & they did do quite a bit just before warranty ran out, window regulator, power steering rack & full coolant hoses front to back, not had much since only services & sundries, it had new tires discs, when bought from OPC.
I do 2500 miles per year on average, slightly worried now hearing all these other costs, dont like the one about gear boxes, I better start putting a fund ready or trade it in while it still works :?:

:floor: :floor: dont think you need to panic just yet , yes I have spent a few quid but I do drive it nearly every day and do a minimum of 12k pa in it.So it will take you 5 years to do the same as I do in 1 year :grin: :grin: :thumb: But genuinly theres nothing wrong with starting a fund £100/150 pm and after a few years if you havent used it you have a nice little pot to help with the next car of have a holiday but should you need some of it its nice to not have to fork it out of your everyday family money.

:eek: I struggle to sleep even with an OPC warranty :eek: :grin:

:floor: :floor: :floor: a bath with Radox and a nice massage will help with that mate .... :eek: and no I am not offereing :grin: :grin:

Try not to ***** me pants & just enjoy it :lol: I did have stuff done about 3 weeks before the warranty ran out & Chester dealer was very good, suppose that they stood to benefit from any items they could push on to Porsche, they wouldn't cover some so it wasn't a piss take but they were very fair in what could be replaced FOC.
Love my car & it currently runs lovely.

HSC911 said:
Swampy said:
Ok it went back to OPC for a rattle but they chose to replace 90% of the front suspension for me under warranty before they discovered that it was the window wiper that was at fault...

:D

resigner said:
HSC911 said:
Swampy said:

Brilliant.

Isn't there a rattle coming from the back as well?
and the tyres?

If only :eek:

3.5 years ago I paid £44,700 for my car that had just received a major service and everything it needed to also include a full 12 month warranty.

Since then pre-warranty inspections and renewals have cost me £4035, servicing and non-warranty items have added £2299 and tyres a further £1710.

The grand total cost of owning my car to date is therefore £52,744.

Today I'd struggle to buy my car for less than £50k so given that I've done 21k miles in her a cost of £2,744 over 3.5 years isn't too bad.

That said, I wouldn't have wanted the cost of running it if I hadn't kept the warranty going. :D

Terry, That seems to be typically what we are finding yours has cost you a fraction over 2k pa to run, but has not depreciated like most cars would meaning the real cost of owning a 997 is much less , and clearly some 997 models dont actually depreciate at all over the past 3 or 4 years. :thumb: :thumb:

Gen 2 C4S Aug 2010 purchased Dec 2016.

2 new tyres + geo £755 at OPC
PDK Temp sensor failure - Warranty
PSE valves stuck - Warranty repair
Mid service oil change, MOT, bore scope and under fixings replaced £365 - Indie
Porsche Front Discs & Pads inc sensors £416 - Indie
Supply and fit non Porsche battery at home £152 - Indie

Total £1,688 (arguably some of this wasn't essential)

Jobs being completed at indie this weekend

Major Service including plugs & Millers & performance brake fluid etc
Front Diff seals replaced
Front coolant crossover pipes replaced
Sump gasket replaced
NS heat shield replaced

Exact cost unknown but estimated to be not much more than OPC quoted for major service including plugs etc.

Warranty would have covered diff seals and sump gasket IF they were visibly leaking, apparently mid to heavy misting isn't enough. Not urgent jobs but I would rather be proactive and the repair should last for years.

I will not renew warranty in December so treated myself to Milltek crossover bypass pipes just because :lol:

I'm hoping all my costs after 7 months of owenership are all upfront / proactive costs otherwise I'm goosed ! :eek:

Just over 3K in total, but that includes 111 Check, 2 year OPC Warranty, new Porsche battery ( because mine had the wrong stickers on or put it another way it wasn't a Porsche one :frustrated: ), Insurance and finally a red 50 years of 911 tee shirt :D

I'm really hoping my runs per over is now firmly going up, as I have spent a farthing in the last 3 months

Main Force Patrol said:
I'm hoping all my costs after 7 months of owenership are all upfront / proactive costs otherwise I'm goosed ! :eek:

Just over 3K in total, but that includes 111 Check, 2 year OPC Warranty, new Porsche battery ( because mine had the wrong stickers on or put it another way it wasn't a Porsche one :frustrated: ), Insurance and finally a red 50 years of 911 tee shirt :D

I'm really hoping my runs per over is now firmly going up, as I have spent a farthing in the last 3 months

looking good for an ave of 2k pa after you add some tyres over the next 17 months :thumb: we could excuse the tee shirt :grin: :grin: :grin:

Here's my spend on the 2009 997 4S in the last 12 months:-

Replacement of Front/frunk release latch mech
Full CG Geo setup
Replacement of drivers door inner latch spring mech
New discs and pads all around
Annual service @35K
New of tyres all round
New battery
New wipers
New rear light (due to cracking)

Total this year around £3.2k

Year before was about £1k, and 2 years ago it was about £800 (only a service and nothing went wrong or needed replacing).

So yes, around the £2k avg per year.

:)

Phil 997 said:
Main Force Patrol said:

looking good for an ave of 2k pa after you add some tyres over the next 17 months :thumb: we could excuse the tee shirt :grin: :grin: :grin:

Actually the tee shirt was a present from Mrs MFP 😃
That's £20 towards the fighting fund !!

I've not kept count, as it'd hard to distinguish between ordinary maintenance, preventative maintenance, replacements, upgrades and modifications, but I'm not looking forward to the air con fix this month ... that's got to hurt my average.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back