Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tracker

arifg

Trainee
Have been asked by the Insurance company (AIB) to get this activated.

I believe it is already installed on the car, as 2 fobs came with it.

is it just a question of ringing Vodafone automotive to activate it.

Anyone use this and is it worthwhile. Other option is to change the Insurance company.

Ring Vodafone and hope they get a reponse from the unit.

Its not one of the cheapest options so im told .

If the unit has been inactive for many years then its unlikely it will reactivate .. it uses a Sim card (a phone number ) and when unused it can end up being recycled .. some other phone uses it basically !

Do as suggested and fingers crossed :thumb:

My Insurance, Churchill have said that they won't cover me for theft unless I activate my built in Tracker. so contacted Vodafone who now own the service and they want £235 for the year!
Went out and bought a 'crook lock' which I use all the time now. As the 997 doesn't have the proximity key I feel a bit more secure as they would need the key to actually start it. My car keys are locked away every night just in case and I made a bacofoil lined box to put my VW keys in which seems to work well as I can't activate anything on the car when they're in the box.
The idea of the fob is that you carry that with you when you leave the car, bit of a PIA according to most people.

easternjets said:
My Insurance, Churchill have said that they won't cover me for theft unless I activate my built in Tracker. so contacted Vodafone who now own the service and they want £235 for the year!
Went out and bought a 'crook lock' which I use all the time now. As the 997 doesn't have the proximity key I feel a bit more secure as they would need the key to actually start it. My car keys are locked away every night just in case and I made a bacofoil lined box to put my VW keys in which seems to work well as I can't activate anything on the car when they're in the box.
The idea of the fob is that you carry that with you when you leave the car, bit of a PIA according to most people.

Alright matey!

Shop around. I refused to go with the tracker route on the 911. And as Demort says, it's outdated and doesn't work. I went to my OPC to enquire about this and it turned into a right long winded fiasco. Long story short- fekked it all off and switched Insurance companies. No tracker required!

Had those annoying fob things with the Macan and yeah, a PITA alright. It's basically my wife's car and every time I jumped in it (without the pesky fob things) everyone's phone lit up. Sacked that nonsense after a year too.

And apparently, if your car is nicked, tracked and returned spotless, it still goes on the cat register as stolen recovered.... And therefore loses >30% of it's value. So if my car gets nicked, I'd much prefer it stays nicked.

As you say if it's nicked I'd much rather never see it again, as long as I get the value!
Crook lock is more a visual deterrent, chances are if they see it they'll try a car that doesn't have one, I hope!
Does it go on the register even if the Insurance company don't pay out on it and the car is returned? Seems a bit harsh if they do.

easternjets said:
As you say if it's nicked I'd much rather never see it again, as long as I get the value!
Crook lock is more a visual deterrent, chances are if they see it they'll try a car that doesn't have one, I hope!
Does it go on the register even if the Insurance company don't pay out on it and the car is returned? Seems a bit harsh if they do.

I find Leopards are a good visual deterrent. Trouble is, the bu55ers ate all my peacocks.

And yes, I'm told it does as soon as the Insurance company get wind of it (probably via a police report). My mate knocked a pedestrian over while filtering on his motorbike. Pedestrian leapt to his feet and started leathering him :lol: He wasn't hurt but gave his Insurance company a 'heads up' just in case Mr. Pedestrian tried a claim. The result? His premium at renewal time had rocketed because it was recorded as an 'incident' The Insurance company never heard from the agitated pedestrian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back