Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

More proof of the benefits of having an official warranty.

apollokre1d said:
Demort said:
Dont ever .. EVER buy a car out of warrenty !!

Disagree... I am on my third Porsche and approaching the end of my 2nd year in my 997 Turbo and and honestly say a warranty on any of those cars would have been a complete waste of money.

But hey whatever makes you sleep better at night I guess.

I was talking to T8 .. he needs one lol

Everyone else then its your choice :)

But if everyone had one then i would have nothing to do here :(

Demort said:
apollokre1d said:
Demort said:

Disagree... I am on my third Porsche and approaching the end of my 2nd year in my 997 Turbo and and honestly say a warranty on any of those cars would have been a complete waste of money.

I was talking to T8 .. he needs one lol

Everyone else then its your choice :)

But if everyone had one then i would have nothing to do here :(

Fair point :)

T8 said:
RedJedi said:
Out of curiosity - how much does a warranty on Jags cost?

Ours came with 2 years included as a 'Jaguar approved' car. I believe it costs about £950 a year to renew.

Porsche warranty is there or there abouts - gives great peace of mind for someone like me who doesn't have the time or knowledge to fix any issues with my car...

Rather leave it to someone else, and not worry if I am getting ripped off etc - and have the convenience of a courtesy car in the mean time.

Yep my FFRR had a new engine on just over 15k miles, I think JLR treat engines as consumables. I would never ever buy a JLR product out of warranty. I'm on very good terms with one of their dealerships and some of the horror stories :nooo:

So I went and bought a new one :grin: ......

They are very very slick at the recovery, plenty of practice methinks
:roll:

jonttt said:
Yep my FFRR had a new engine on just over 15k miles, I think JLR treat engines as consumables. I would never ever buy a JLR product out of warranty. I'm on very good terms with one of their dealerships and some of the horror stories :nooo:

So I went and bought a new one :grin: ......

They are very very slick at the recovery, plenty of practice methinks
:roll:

i thought about a warrant on our RRS - the one and only time i've ever thought of it. Then I thought that its still good old LR tech under the body - If it moves and it shouldn't - Gaffer Tape. If it should move but doesn't - hammer.

:grin:

apollokre1d said:
Demort said:

Agreed... waste of money. Spend it on tuning. Much more fun!

Now you see I'm in T8's corner.

I wouldn't own a Porsche without warranty. It's sad to say that Porsche cars are far from bullet proof especially with £price tags in comparison against other manufacturers. Looking back over my history I had a 986 ooh many many years ago & the IMS made chewing gum of the internals. I can absolutely assure anyone that when you receive a phone call to say it needs a new engine you'll feel sick for that brief moment until Porsche then say it's covered by warranty.

Since then I've had anything from a door window coming out of its rail to a new engine.

Maybe Demort will back me up here they're not that good and I'm sure Demort will reel off his day after day repairs he has. It's not all about oil and filter changes.

Even with the 997.2 it's more than paid to have warranty and they use OE parts. Nothing is too much trouble. No paperwork, no excess, no investigation cost , nothing. I get a courtesy car & mine comes back absolutely spotless. I don't even have to even leave the house, it's picked up and brought back. That's why I own a Porsche, the after care is fabulous.

@ MNC911 , putting me on a spot here young man :D

Disclaimer .. for the record i dont own a Porsche , im too poor ;P
but if i did i would have a warrenty for peace of mind .

So .. are they more flaky than other manufacturers , personally i dont think so .. T8's thread springs to mind .

Porsche have IMHO one philosophy and thats to make their cars go as fast as possible and handle as well as possible.

Ive seen the tech infos where they tell us how they have shaved 1 gram off the throttle pedal , 2 grams off the front shocks etc etc .

That will always bring compromises , they use cutting edge materials and technology to accomplish this and it doesn,t always work out .. IMS for example.

If you want a sportscar you buy a Porsche .. if you want reliablility then you buy a Volvo .

I could if i wish work on any other sportscar , Ferrari etc but i choose not too as IMHO Porsche have managed to get the entire package together in one machine .. its not just all about fast straight line speed .

Relialiblity is always going to be a compromise though .. F1 cars .. hmm ( Not even going to mention Ferrari's here )

Do Porsche look after their customers though , sadly not as well as i would like , they may say they are proud of all the Porsches still on the road but in reality any new mechanic joining Porsche will only get trained on the current Porduction models and NOT on anything before that so when a current Tech gets say a 993 he will have no training on it and will be on bonus , ie he has to repair it quickly .. not easy when you dont know the car .

Warrenty claims are now about wear and tear , not something i agree with , its an excuse to not pay out on a claim .. but ill not rant on about that .

For each model there are certain things that do fail .. if anyone wants a list then PM me and ill give my number , far easier to chat on the phone , and ill go through the common items that fail on a particular model but this does relate to the above and it also depends on how lucky you are .. basically how the cars has been used and what conditions it has been driven in .

If you live on the coast you will have more problems for example .

Overall though .. i still work on Porsche as i think they are the best sportscar out there .. 981 is the best though :p

As always its just IMHO and im not interested in any arguments .. i ignore them :)

Iain .

981 all the way :grin:

Norfolk & Idea said:
apollokre1d said:

:grin: like any 'Insurance' it always seems like a waste of money if you never make a claim.

I've paid my annual whack on car Insurance over the last 37 years and never made a claim. Paying a lot more for each years 'mechanical breakdown' cover would really be sticking in my craw if I'd not been so unlucky.

At the time of purchasing my 997T the extra 2.5% that it cost me to add 'peace of mind' when making such a financial investment seemed a no-brainer. The fact that the warranty cost has been recouped 10 x over in the last 2 years has proven me right.

Ironically I owned a 996 Carrera for 3.5 years without a warranty and it never missed a beat. :grin:

With regard to the Jaguar - the decision to buy 'Jaguar Approved' was my wife's decision as it's actually her car (I just drive her everywhere in it) and if we weren't covered by the warranty I'd be in the divorce court for ever suggesting that we buy it to replace the ultra-reliable Lexus it replaced.

T8 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
apollokre1d said:

:grin: like any 'Insurance' it always seems like a waste of money if you never make a claim.

I've paid my annual whack on car Insurance over the last 37 years and never made a claim. Paying a lot more for each years 'mechanical breakdown' cover would really be sticking in my craw if I'd not been so unlucky.

At the time of purchasing my 997T the extra 2.5% that it cost me to add 'peace of mind' when making such a financial investment seemed a no-brainer. The fact that the warranty cost has been recouped 10 x over in the last 2 years has proven me right.

Ironically I owned a 996 Carrera for 3.5 years without a warranty and it never missed a beat. :grin:

With regard to the Jaguar - the decision to buy 'Jaguar Approved' was my wife's decision as it's actually her car (I just drive her everywhere in it) and if we weren't covered by the warranty I'd be in the divorce court for ever suggesting that we buy it to replace the ultra-reliable Lexus it replaced.

I will admit T8, in your case it was 100% the right decision :)

Car dealers get a lot of stick on motoring forums such as this so I think it only fair to sing their praises when they go above and beyond what's expected of them.

Wifey and I have had her 2011 XF for 2 years and 5 months and have now done just under 11k miles.

Yesterday we took it in for a minor service and to have rear discs and pads replaced. I got a call mid-afternoon to advise that the work had been completed but during the course of the service the technician had noticed that the inner sidewalls of both front tyres were badly cracked and actually dangerous to drive on.

On hearing this the service department had checked their records and seen that the tyres had been fitted by a Jaguar Main dealer in 2014 so contacted Dunlop to advise them that in their opinion there was a manufacturing issue.

Dunlop checked the serial number of the tyres and authorised immediate replacement - free of charge (including fitting, valves and balancing) as apparently they were part of a recorded bad batch.

500 miles previously my MOT tester had issued an advisory that despite having 4mm left on them there were signs of cracking starting to appear so I was going to replace them soon anyway.

Thanks to Guy Salmon, Jaguar in Aylesford I saved myself £400. :thumbs:

Brilliant, the Jag dealer and Dunlop did what leading brands should do, in these days of data-driven business we should see more of it than we do. Good for them (and you T8 ) :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back