Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

300 miles on my oil. To change or not to change??

Marky911

Portimao
About to take advantage of the Opie offer but just realised I've done about 200 miles on last years oil. Will be 300 by next months service.

So do I -
A) Leave and just change the filter?

Or

B) dump it and put it in my old Volvo workhorse and give the Porsche new stuff.

I always say £100 for oil is a drop in the ocean given what we spend on these cars but, dumping 300 mile old oil seems madness. It's been in since last November by the way. Very few journeys so not exactly lots of cold starts.

I also want to get oil analysis done out of interest but I doubt I've done enough miles to give a reading.

Low mileage due to gearbox rebuild until March, bodyshop March until now, plus suspension refresh etc. It will get used one day...

Can't help with advice I'm afraid but I'm in exactly the same position as you with the car having been tucked away while I'm abroad.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts as well. :thumbs:

Illuminati will say dump it especially if they are going the FSH OPC/Indya annual service route.

Are you running full synthetic? In which case as you're doing the servicing yourself I'd say leave for another year. Take account if you sell to an anorak they'll want to see oil changed every year regardless of miles :roll:

Jonttt only takes his 993 out for a trip to the annual service/MOT so his used oil will have travelled less than yours :floor:

I would change it at 10k or annually whichever comes first , I am not sure what to say to owning a 911 thats only done 300 miles in a year :floor: :floor: but your not alone there are many owners who do less than 1500 miles a year. personally I fully enjoy mine and drive it most days doing about 12k PA but we are all different. for the sake of £100 and especially if you can reuse it in another car I would change it . :thumb: :thumb:

I often see cars with that milage or even less in for an oil change so your not alone .

A question though , im guessing oil degrades over time but in a sealed containor then that must be years ..

Does it degrade over time in a sealed engine :?:

I'd change the oil, should you one day wish to sell there are loads of picky buyers (and maybe dealers?) out there who will insist on an annual service.

Yep you're right lads, I'll just change it. Logic says it'll be fine to leave it but when does logic feature in porsche ownership. It goes to an Indy for servicing Zingers, I just do any other projects I can buy you're right, I must do what's right for the next owner. :grin: What's this Porsche owning malarkey all about eh.

Demort- good point. I'm sure I've read it still deteriorates over time especially over winter when left idle. :thumb:

Phil - I promise I'm not one of "those" owners. :grin: I was never going to be happy using the car until it was how I wanted, which it almost is now. :wink:
But life keeps having other plans so time to work on it has been scarce.
My summer toys usually do about 3k to 5k.

I understand people like to use them daily but for me it would just render the car not that special anymore and my drive to work is pretty mundane. I prefer to keep my good stuff nice and have an old banger Volvo estate for tip runs, weekends away, dogs, etc.

We all have our preferences though. :thumb:

:thumb: Spoken like a true Illuminati. I'll send you he membership form as I've now been black-balled :roll:

......but now you have become even worse ...... you are a "plinth man" ....... :floor:

Zingers you never offered to send me the form :grin: I have been practicing the funny walk and dodgy handskake and everything :floor: :floor: :floor:

apollokre1d said:
I'd change the oil, should you one day wish to sell there are loads of picky buyers (and maybe dealers?) out there who will insist on an annual service.
:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Zingers you never offered to send me the form :grin: I have been practicing the funny walk and dodgy handskake and everything :floor: :floor: :floor:

I'm not quite clear what happened during the 'voting in' stage as that is the inner sanctum business. But when I enquired they told me there were more black balls in the bag than you'd find at the bottom of a rabbits hutch :what:

Zingari said:
Phil 997 said:

I'm not quite clear what happened during the 'voting in' stage as that is the inner sanctum business. But when I enquired they told me there were more black balls in the bag than you'd find at the bottom of a rabbits hutch :what:

:floor: :floor: :floor: I had guessed I was blackballed far to many jokes about aircooled guys in sandals and socks :floor: the inner sanctum would not have liked that , guess I should consider myself lucky I didnt wake up with a horses head in bed next to me . :floor: :thumb:

Zingers, what you like. :grin:
Glad you've stuck around despite going all Italian on us. I hope it's going well. :thumb:

I took advantage of the Opie oils offer last night so the oil will get changed at the next service. I sort of knew the answer when first posting but thought I'd seek a few more opinions.

For the record I'm certainly not a "plinth" type owner. I'm a car addict but life doesn't allow me much time for them anymore. I'm clinging onto my car obsessed yoof with my fingertips, even though I'm 40 now and have bigger fish to fry most of the time. :thumb:

Glad you've stuck around despite going all Italian on us. I hope it's going well

...... I believe it is still running on the delivery tank of fuel and also believe that Zingers is costing out the price of making the plinth revolve ....... :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back