Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 camshaft correlation fault.

deMort

Monaco
This is for future ref so no replys are needed .

Correlation fault between crank and inlet camshaft bank 2 , im afraid ive forgotten the fault code as it was a few weeks ago and it needed long term monitoring to see if it was fixed .

Customer hasnt had the fault return .

Ok .. details ..

Car is a Cayman gen 2 but applicable to 997 hence im posting here .. more people read here anyways .

It takes a few engine cycles for the fault code to appear.

Car had been to one garage who fitted a camshaft sensor .. still faulty

Car went to OPC who wanted to take the engine out to check the timing.

Car is recovered and i get the job .. lucky me !!

The fault is basically the car is seeing or thinks it sees bank 2 camshaft in a different position than what it expects .

If i drop the engine then i cant then run it i can only replace items and vario cam was in the back of my mind at this point ..

I had to have an idea before this so i sat there with a tester and looking at cam shaft figures and deviations.

Car on idle .. both banks at 130 degress.
Car at 3k rpm .. both banks at 94 degrees

Looseing hope here but i noticed when i came off the throttle bank 1 went 94 , 115 , 130 degrees.

Bank 2 went 94 , 100 , 110 , 120 , 130 degrees ..

Bank 2 was much slower at returning than bank 1 .. maybe not much slower but it was slower .

So we are into vario cam or the solinoid that controls the pressure to it or wiring or the sensor that had been replaced ..

Solinoid is a hell of a lot cheaper than dropping the engine and replacing the vario cam so off i went to the parts guy .. any in the country and how much ..

This was the killer moment .. x4 supersessions and in stock !!

Porsche only do that if they want to increase the cost or theres a fault and its been redesigned ..

Replaced it , checked the figures and they were fine , long term and the customer hasnt had the fault back.

If you get this fault and it will happen more often .. start with the solinoid and dont drop the engine :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back