Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lock Mechanisms

Thomp1983

Hi guys,

not sure if anyone will have an answer for this but here goes, I've had both door lock mechanisms out today and noticed a difference in the workings of the actual mechanisms between drivers and passenger side and wondered if it's actually an issue or normal.

on the drivers lock with the catch fully open this is what the mechanism looks like inside. (were focusing on the black plastic piece in the centre of the picture and the silver piece that is just covering it in the first picture)

CxfJYgk.jpg

this is what the mech looks like with the catch closed to the first click, as you can see the black piece is now free to slide up

H4rRgpH.jpg

and with the catch on the second click, so fully closed it looks like this, again the black piece is free to move

djRuXGU.jpg

now for the passenger side, first picture catch fully open, black piece is free to move

BsSccSE.jpg

catch on first click, black bit free to move

HRKbzu5.jpg

catch on second click, fully closed black bit free to move

kcdUmr4.jpg

so my question is should the black bit be able to move with the catch fully open or not? basically is one side broken or are they both meant to be different between nearside and offside? I can't see anything broken or missing from side to side when comparing them to each other

cheers
chris

Hmm .. ive replaced rather a lot of these locks but never really taken much notice of how they work ..

Do you have an actual fault when fitted to the car ? ie does one side not lock ?

The black part would be the part that stops the door handles opening the car but from the outside only ( locked ) .. in theory it should not be able to move into the lock position if the catch is open ... if it did then when you closed the door it would be locked .

If you push it with a screwdriver then thats different to how the lock would normally work and there is a spring to stop that happening .

Im afraid thats the best i can work out from the pictures

I don't have a problem with the mechanical side of the locks, I'm still getting a single beep when removing the ignition key. I had to remove one door card to sort out the window stop so thought I'd remove the lock mechanism and test the micro switches inside it whilst I was in there abd they all appear to work correctly and have continuity to the wiring plugs.

Once I'd done the drivers side I thought I may aswell check the passenger side too and that's when I noticed the thing with the black sections.

You get a single beep on locking the car to tell you something is open when it should be closed .. ie center cubby , glove box etc .. a single beep on removeing the key from the ignition is a new one on me im afraid .

I would be putting a tester on it and looking at fault codes and actual values of all the locks as this is just plain weird !

Best and a total guess atm is the alarm cu has got wet and is messing around , which is common on a cab but not on a coupe .

Alarm ecu appears fine no sign of water ingress. My money is on the bonnet switch, when disconnected the microswitch performs correctly but when plugged in there is continuity regardless of if the switch is open or closed so I suspect a wiring fault but as I said I thought I'd check the locking mechanisms as I was in the doors anyway

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back