Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Old girl is faster than I thought

FZP

Was out with Mrs P and got stuck behind a horse box. Finally get to a dual carriage way after a roundabout and had a CBR600 type bike behind me so I opened it as we cleared the horse box.
As I open it up I then move over expecting it to fly by, but nope, didn't have the grunt to get past. At the next set of lights we were both shocked as we had a chat.
Very very surprised and a little bit :bandit: :grin:

FZP said:
Was out with Mrs P and got stuck behind a horse box. Finally get to a dual carriage way after a roundabout and had a CBR600 type bike behind me so I opened it as we cleared the horse box.
As I open it up I then move over expecting it to fly by, but nope, didn't have the grunt to get past. At the next set of lights we were both shocked as we had a chat.

I've been thinking mines not too fast, but then looked at the speedo :grin:

Yeah exactly that^

There's a fairly twisty road near me, it's through Army land so has a fairly conservative limit.

Early one morning I came across a car doing about 35 and decided to pass it.
I swept by with plenty of room before turning into a left over a crest followed by a right and then another left opening up onto a straight.

I then looked down to see something over double the limit :eek:
I swear I wasn't going that fast, the car was.

It's such a good car, I just love it :thumb:

My early cbr 600 would murder my 911 in a straight line up to 100 mph 😞 the bends make a big difference.

churny said:
My early cbr 600 would murder my 911 in a straight line up to 100 mph 😞 the bends make a big difference.
Churny- after reading your comment above the other week, I had to admit that anecdotally I would agree with you, and that perhaps it was a 400cc sports bike(read cheap Chinese learner bike type).
So today was another nice day across to Sheffield to pick up my new car cover. Went back via a lovely road called and this time I knew exactly which bike it was, a lovely GSXR600. The opportunity to overtake a couple of cars came up and off we went. Waiting for old mate to blow past and he couldn't get past. I had to jump on the brakes for him to make enough space for him to get back in front.
Starting speed was 40mph as a reference point. So either I've got the world's fastest NA Carrera or they're just bloody quick cars, more so that I ever thought. :dont know:

FZP said:
churny said:
Churny- after reading your comment above the other week, I had to admit that anecdotally I would agree with you, and that perhaps it was a 400cc sports bike(read cheap Chinese learner bike type).
So today was another nice day across to Sheffield to pick up my new car cover. Went back via a lovely road called and this time I knew exactly which bike it was, a lovely GSXR600. The opportunity to overtake a couple of cars came up and off we went. Waiting for old mate to blow past and he couldn't get past. I had to jump on the brakes for him to make enough space for him to get back in front.
Starting speed was 40mph as a reference point. So either I've got the world's fastest NA Carrera or they're just bloody quick cars, more so that I ever thought. :dont know:

Mate a Race Rep 600 without Grandpa behind the bars would show you a clean pair of heels and then some, a Tuned Turbo well thats a different story :thumb: :thumb:

These 2 instances confuse me. They, by rights, should be able to blow past eaaaasily. When I looked in the mirror I could see him tucked in and throttle was wide open.
It was a straight line, so not much technique required. I don't know.
All I know is I expect them to blow past and they dont

FZP said:

It was probably one of the a 125cc learner Bike which looks like a 600.

A CBR600RR would have totally destroyed your 2S and you would have been a dot in his mirrors after a few seconds.

You need at least a 997 turbo before you can play with 600cc sportbike anything less will just leave you embarrassed.

Agreed.

A well piloted superbike be it a 600 or thou will murder all of us in straight line acceleration in a situation described above- pulling out from 40mph overtakes.

I've had loads of tussles with bikes on the open roads and a skilled rider will do me every time. But there aren't many out there. A lot of these dayglo power rangers can't ride for toffee. They can gun it in a straight line but back off in the twisties. But if you meet a Guy Martin type on his Fireblade, you're toast.

I agree I agree I agree with all the above.
If I were reading the above, I'd be slapping my thigh, laughing and asking th OP to pull the other one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back