Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread - GT3 RS Wheels

Thefinn said:
Phil 997 said:
Nice review of the mounts and exhaust mate :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers Phil one thing I forgot to say about the RSS mounts is how they look, when they say semi solid I they got that right on all counts :D

:floor: :floor: :floor: yes mate they are a sexy looking thing. whats your honest view on NVH the reason I ask is that the 997.1 is a less refined feeling car over the gen2, very much in the same way as guys say the same about the 996 over the 997.1 . and I am finding things that worked well on my gen 1 dont all suit the slightly softer more refined gen2 , The slight NVH from semi solids on my gen1 really were not that intrusive and added to the more aggresive feel of the gen1 so they worked well . this was my thinking looking for a set of used RSS to try as they will have already settled a bit and I am hoping will add minimal NVH but all the wins of semi solid mounts. I am finding things that add a little harshness to the gen1 and worked are to much for the softer gen2. hence me seeking opinions . :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Thefinn said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers Phil one thing I forgot to say about the RSS mounts is how they look, when they say semi solid I they got that right on all counts :D

:floor: :floor: :floor: yes mate they are a sexy looking thing. whats your honest view on NVH the reason I ask is that the 997.1 is a less refined feeling car over the gen2, very much in the same way as guys say the same about the 996 over the 997.1 . and I am finding things that worked well on my gen 1 dont all suit the slightly softer more refined gen2 , The slight NVH from semi solids on my gen1 really were not that intrusive and added to the more aggresive feel of the gen1 so they worked well . this was my thinking looking for a set of used RSS to try as they will have already settled a bit and I am hoping will add minimal NVH but all the wins of semi solid mounts. I am finding things that add a little harshness to the gen1 and worked are to much for the softer gen2. hence me seeking opinions . :thumb: :thumb:

Hhhhmmmmm that's a tough one then, I would say your finding / experience from your gen1 and rennline mounts would match the feel of the RSS mount that I have. The NVH is there but not enough to bother me and I would quantify it a "slightly more" on the three fronts but if you want a more focused car then that's the negatives to put up with to get all of the benefits, which for me massively outweighs them. It's definitely worth a shot at trying them on the gen2 but from what you have said I would wait for a second hand set (It might take a while) but knowing the mods you have done to both your cars I think you will also think the benefits top the detrimental affects.

Thefinn said:
Phil 997 said:
Thefinn said:
Phil 997 said:

Hhhhmmmmm that's a tough one then, I would say your finding / experience from your gen1 and rennline mounts would match the feel of the RSS mount that I have. The NVH is there but not enough to bother me and I would quantify it a "slightly more" on the three fronts but if you want a more focused car then that's the negatives to put up with to get all of the benefits, which for me massively outweighs them. It's definitely worth a shot at trying them on the gen2 but from what you have said I would wait for a second hand set (It might take a while) but knowing the mods you have done to both your cars I think you will also think the benefits top the detrimental affects.

thanks mate for your thoughts , I think I will wait for a set of used and broken in ones to come up. I 10% agree the wins outway the negatives but ideally if I can reduce the negatives even more buy fitting used ones all the better. :thumb:

Great thread, love all the detail you've gone into and the fact you do it yourself - well done. :thumb:

Finn! this is amazing works hats off to you for effort and attention to detail.

Whats next?

RXP. said:
Finn! this is amazing works hats off to you for effort and attention to detail.

Whats next?

Thanks mate
:thumb:

Next on the list is new Ferodo DS2500 brake pads ready for a track day and tuition that i am trying to get booked in for early next month. I have done one track day before with tuition and quite a few different driving experiences in various different vehicles, but i am not under the illusion that i will be stepping into formula 1 soon and still very much a novice. So i want to catch the good weather if i can, just so i don't spend the whole day with the extra worry in the wet.

I wanted to get the Techart springs on which have been in the box for months and the geo done for the track, but i just don't think i will have the time. As i will pick up a few other jobs while in there, such as cleaning the arches and giving every thing that needs it a rub back and paint which just makes the job longer so this will have to wait for now.

Attachments

• 20180724_080000_167.jpg
    20180724_080000_167.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 2,003
Oh nice, the DS2500 are a great fast road track pad. I ran them for a year on my previous car which was an M3. Eventually swapped them out for RS29s which were far superior in terms of cold bite and consistent heavy braking however they squealed alot... I was told it was because I didn't use them hard enough... so in other words probably overkill for my needs.

I cant wait till you get the TA springs on really looking forward to a mini write up.

The track day tuition sounds right up my street. Are you doing a track day and then booked extra tuition on the day with an instructor? or is this a dedicated 1 on 1 driver training course?

Oh good i am glad you like those pads i have read a few reviews and they seem to have good write ups but its good to hear from you, i did think about the EBC yellow stuff but reading all the reviews + you tube vids these were off the table. In the future i might upgrade again but as i am only just starting out i thought i would try for something a bit more cost effective for now to see how i get on especially as i will be more interested in learning track driving rather than lap times.

The tuition was a Christmas present from Mrs Finn which is another reason i need to use it as the voucher is running out. But basically you get your own individual instructor for the day, then all you do is book a track day at which ever venue you want for the day on top and they just jump in the car with you.

Trackdays are fantastic, I'm sure you'll have a great time! Just remember to take your time to learn the lines, and gradually increase speed as your confidence increases. Jumping straight in with a 911 is somewhat in the deep end, but build up at your own pace and it'll be fine.

I take it you'll be doing Brands given your location? It's a great track! Paddock hill takes some balls but it's so rewarding

Thanks for the tips PGD, but i am actually going to go to Snetterton if i can get the dates to work, so if you have any top tip for that track it will be appreciated. Brands GP circuit would be nice but a full day there is over twice the price of all of the other tracks (£450!!!) so i think i will save that one until i have a few track days under my belt.

I know going in the 911 is straight in at the deep end and if i am honest although excited about the day there is an overwhelming feeling of trepidation as well, but as it was a present from the wife it might just be the push i need to get into something that i have always wanted to do. Plus if it wasn't the Porsche the my other option would be a 1.5 tonne Diesel Jag so that's not really made for a track day, but don't worry i fully expect to be overtaken by a 17 year old in a Clio and i am not really worried if i do.

I've never driven Snett so can't help you there I'm affraid.

Keeping a close eye on your mirrors is a good thing, then if anything is behind you just let them pass, no matter what it is. A session of looking at the lines slowly and getting used to letting people past is no bad thing. Accidents are very few and far between and only occur when folk get carried away, over confident, or try to outrun or overtake what they think they should be faster than.

After a couple of sessions you'll soon relax into it :thumb:

Here we go Mike, sorry for late post. The cable extension does work, I made it to just over 900mm so with the already attached cable on the sensor then not too far off 1.5mtr's in total.

I haven't installed my TG CAT's yet so I just tested this out so the extension cables coiled up in the OEM setup, but when I do I will just lay the cable extension alongside the air box and then connect to the OEM sensor plug - basically this connection will sit inside/on the engine-bay shelve. You can always put some cable ties/clips in to secure them more.

What I will do when I have time to reconnect the extension cables back in and then check with the Durametric the sensors post voltages plus make sure they fluctuate with acceleration etc.. I am sure the voltage range is roughly between 100mV – 800mV (or thereabouts...).

I idled the car till warm and then did brief rev increases, no issues with starting up/idleing etc.. and no CEL. To be 100%, will use the Durametric
to check the voltages.

I am not sure what other people have done and have they indeed swapped the post-bank connections around as they are no-way long enough to connect correctly. Anyway hope this helps everyone a bit further.

The photos explain a little more.

Attachments

• img_0553_111.jpg
    img_0553_111.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,863
  • img_0555_158.jpg
    img_0555_158.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,863
  • img_0557_219.jpg
    img_0557_219.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,863
  • xobt4138_145.jpg