Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mezger rattle on start-up. Solved and relieved.

patpending said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-METRIC-NITRILE-RUBBER-O-RINGS-3MM-27MM-SEAL-PLUMBING-TAP-HOSE-WASHERS/360755951161?hash=item53febaf639:m:mbXH14wArvySNvMmnQNuUsg

...or the above if you don't want to get creamed for a 10mm x 2mm o-ring @£10 from the stealers(for just 1) :eek:

Or will some still think they must be n-rated/magic o-rings at £10 a pop each. :D

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod126866/Oil-Filler-O-ring-Porsche-996-Turbo-GT3---997-Turbo-GT3/

Indeed the genuine part is almost certainly a simple £1 O ring, but who is going to be brave enough to try the Ebay version ?

I have just installed my o ring. I have gone for a quick drive and now I will and leave it until Wednesday. I will report back on my findings. Fingers crossed it works

Mines in for some work and have requested one be fitted, will report back!

Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me. I still get the rattle on start up after I have left if a few days. I guess the only option is to drive it every day or pull the fuel pump fuse as I have been doing.

e92 said:
Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me. I still get the rattle on start up after I have left if a few days. I guess the only option is to drive it every day or pull the fuel pump fuse as I have been doing.

I had a feeling it may have been to good to be true. When I picked up my over priced £8 rubber o ring from porsche I thought to myself how is this actually going contain pressure even if it has been perished slightly?!

Its quite intermittent and it hasnt done it for a while. Even whilst sitting for a week. :?:

E92, so sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you.

Very little time and money was invested in trying, so it was worth a try. I think others should report back on whether it fixes their issue. :thumbs:

Not worked for me either unfortunately. Worth a go though

Didn't work for me either or well will just have to drive it more👍

Oh dear. Clearly there must be other reasons why the rattle is happening. Mine started after an oil change and so I knew it must be something to do with that...

Ive found this thread rarther interesting and no ive not herd of this before.

Some things i can say .. no neither indys or OPC change this seal as a matter of fact , its not included with the oil filter and is a totally seperate order ... but you didnt get this from me :p

There has been to my knowledge no TI to say replace this and to be honest i can only assume its to help stop the oil draining out of the filter / houseing when the car is left for a period of time as ive never found or read anything about it .

I will be having a closer look at the filter houseing the next time i have one in for a service though .. im curiuos now !

Tensioner rattle is imho oil draining out of then tensioner so it takes a few seconds to refill from startup.

This seal is again imho more to stop the oil filter houseing draining out which would cause a rattle but for a few seconds longer .

Two seperate faults in a sense.

I think the type of oil might have an effect here but we are stepping out of my area of expertise .. 5/40 verses 0/40 ..

Need someone more knowledgeable than me im afraid .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back