Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CG suspension rebuild with Ohlins

I went down the same route. Full suspension refresh and Ohlins at CoG. It was a hefty bill at the end of my two days at CoG.
Two years down the line it feels with money well spent. The Ohlins are flawless and the road set up gives me confidence to take on uneven B roads with confidence.
Great OP and I fully agree :thumb:

maldren said:
Dammit said:
Just checked my invoice from CG - I've got 90Nm/mm rear and 40Nm/mm front.

Stock they're 60 front and 120 rear.

Wish I'd know that before I went to CG, your car rides very well. CG encouraged me to stick with firmer settings, they stressed that Steve Bennett's car is a bit soft bet I think he went much softer than you.

I'll try different damper settings before changing anything else.

Mike

For reference, I run standard GT3 rates (though linear, not progressive items : (30N/mm fronts and 67-70N/mm rears) on these bad boys (ex 996 GT3 R/RS racecar 3 way adjustable Ohlins) :

pwSmn0P.jpg

ywTUn5Z.jpg

It's a fallacy that stiff springs are the only way to make a car handle. Many years ago, Chris at CG and I coined a phrase that "compliance is king" and when it comes to road cars, it's certainly true, and with the continued deterioration in our road surfaces, it will become a necessity.

There is however a caveat, you need a certain quality/standard of damping/damper to be able to run compliant springs and retain decent body control.

One of the quicker regular trackday attendees used my Ohlins on his Mk1 996 GT3, and whilst I knew they were perfect for the road, even I was shocked how good they were around Oulton at the 2017 RS day...

great thread - i am also on the path to the Ohlins R&T setup on my 996t. Just coming to terms with the fact that this will be an 'unnecessary' 3.5-4.5K outlay....given there is nothing wrong with my car at present.

Saying that, does anyone run the holiness with 19" wheels? I have a set of BBS LM's on mine at the present and want to pair them with the holiness to freshen things up and get the car lower to the ground...

charandhindsa said:
great thread - i am also on the path to the Ohlins R&T setup on my 996t. Just coming to terms with the fact that this will be an 'unnecessary' 3.5-4.5K outlay....given there is nothing wrong with my car at present.

Saying that, does anyone run the holiness with 19" wheels? I have a set of BBS LM's on mine at the present and want to pair them with the holiness to freshen things up and get the car lower to the ground...

I'd be interested to understand how Ohlins impact the 996 vs 997 on 19 inch wheels
i.e. as I understand it, the 997 has suspension revisions that allow 19 inch wheels, but that Porsche themselves would never put 19s on a 996...... does fitting Ohlins change that? (leaning towards 'no' as not even 996 Cup cars run 19s)

....only ask because most of the lighter wheels I might consider are not available in 18.... : '

(my car's currently in the garage being fitted with Ohlins as I type)

Interesting thread. I know I need to do something with my suspension and would really like the Ohlins kit. I'm expecting to need to do pretty much everything so getting my head around the potential cost is taking some time (and I don't have a penny of the money at the mo!).

i typically run 17/15 f/r on the ohlins (expertly fitted & setup by Matt @Fearns) on the road or 15/13 if smoother surfaces and its where i find it works best.... much softer than 17 and the front washes out wide very quickly and the rear won't give the stability needed when under heavy load.

ran at Spa a cple weeks ago (saw 260kmh on Kemmel) and was running 3/1 f/r and the comment from my instructor (a pro GT3 class racer) was that it still seemed to power-boat a bit... ie the rear squatted too much and the nose lifted too much... i guess stiffer springs would be the answer but for my driving level I had no complaints. Despite that, the car was pretty amazing on track, and i was astonished what he was able to get out of it... so much fun and mega pace... well into the 2min40s for reference.

ultimately theres a couple of constraining issues for most near stock/mildly upgraded awd 996tt's on track and thats lack of front tyre width, and lack of neg camber you can dial in but my car is 95% road focused so ultimately not an issue for me.

ZeroH said:
i typically run 17/15 f/r on the ohlins (expertly fitted & setup by Matt @Fearns) on the road or 15/13 if smoother surfaces and its where i find it works best.... much softer than 17 and the front washes out wide very quickly and the rear won't give the stability needed when under heavy load.

ran at Spa a cple weeks ago (saw 260kmh on Kemmel) and was running 3/1 f/r and the comment from my instructor (a pro GT3 class racer) was that it still seemed to power-boat a bit... ie the rear squatted too much and the nose lifted too much... i guess stiffer springs would be the answer but for my driving level I had no complaints. Despite that, the car was pretty amazing on track, and i was astonished what he was able to get out of it... so much fun and mega pace... well into the 2min40s for reference.

ultimately theres a couple of constraining issues for most near stock/mildly upgraded awd 996tt's on track and thats lack of front tyre width, and lack of neg camber you can dial in but my car is 95% road focused so ultimately not an issue for me.

Interesting to read that ZeroH. Mine now runs 16F 15R as they seem to have softened up over the 600 miles since fitting. What have you ended up with geo-wise? I'm booked back into Matt's this weekend for some further tweaks on mine, 996T, Tip.

By the way, that is a searing time at Spa! Are you on Cup 2s? And is your car black? :lol: If so, think I saw it at FS back in June.

ZeroH said:

Interesting to read that ZeroH. Mine now runs 16F 15R as they seem to have softened up over the 600 miles since fitting. What have you ended up with geo-wise? I'm booked back into Matt's this weekend for some further tweaks on mine, 996T, Tip.

By the way, that is a searing time at Spa! Are you on Cup 2s? And is your car black? :lol: If so, think I saw it at FS back in June.

DynoMike said:
ZeroH said:

yep that was mine ! My geo is a fast road set up - dont think you can add much more than 1deg of camber on the fronts anyway

ZeroH said:
DynoMike said:
ZeroH said:

yep that was mine ! My geo is a fast road set up - dont think you can add much more than 1deg of camber on the fronts anyway

Small world! Your tyres looked 'previously enjoyed':floor: in a good way, you must drive the arse off the thing!! It has inspired me to try Cup 2s on mine, I think the stiffer sidewalls will help a lot. Currently running PS 2s and rolling the outer edges heavily, so Matt is going to add some more camber.

Our set ups will be quite similar then. The thing that has impressed me the most is just how calm the steering wheel is compared to before going Ohlins, but man does it turn in when you want it to! I simply can't wait to try it on track, good to know that you ran right down to 1 on the front and it still had grip.

I may see you around sometime.

Mike

DynoMike said:
ZeroH said:
DynoMike said:
ZeroH said:

Small world! Your tyres looked 'previously enjoyed':floor: in a good way, you must drive the arse off the thing!! It has inspired me to try Cup 2s on mine, I think the stiffer sidewalls will help a lot. Currently running PS 2s and rolling the outer edges heavily, so Matt is going to add some more camber.

Our set ups will be quite similar then. The thing that has impressed me the most is just how calm the steering wheel is compared to before going Ohlins, but man does it turn in when you want it to! I simply can't wait to try it on track, good to know that you ran right down to 1 on the front and it still had grip.

Mike

i ran 3 on the front and 1 on the back... i tend to run front slightly softer than rear. interestingly since i had the ohlins installed the steering has become much more sensitive to the road and it moves around more than before at high speed... that could be a function of the toe also though

i have had my car over 10 years now and its still a joy to own. I've never felt inclined to change it for a more modern 911 turbo (and ive driven them all) - i think a properly sorted 996tt is the sweet spot for interaction, fun, and pace.

ZeroH said:
DynoMike said:
ZeroH said:
DynoMike said:
ZeroH said:

Mike

i ran 3 on the front and 1 on the back... i tend to run front slightly softer than rear. interestingly since i had the ohlins installed the steering has become much more sensitive to the road and it moves around more than before at high speed... that could be a function of the toe also though

i have had my car over 10 years now and its still a joy to own. I've never felt inclined to change it for a more modern 911 turbo (and ive driven them all) - i think a properly sorted 996tt is the sweet spot for interaction, fun, and pace.

Ah sorry, my mistake regarding the clicks.

I don't have the ability to try other cars easily, but am more than happy with my 996T, I agree totally with the interaction, fun and pace etc. I've had mine for 6 years now and still thoroughly enjoy the car on the road and even more so on my odd track forays, the chassis is so playful and communicative. It allowed me to turn a 1.43.2 at Anglesey Int on standard suspension and PS2s, humbling many more track orientated cars, - great fun.

Now with the Ohlins fitted, I feel that Cup 2s will not overwhelm the chassis so I'm keen to try some. 996 Turbos are immense value for money :thumbs:

Sorry to malden for the slight thread derailment.

DynoMike said:
Sorry to malden for the slight thread derailment.

No problem at all, I wanted to start a discussion about Ohlins settings.

I'm back from a long holiday (I'm retired!) and about to put more miles on the car, my initial feeling is that the springs are too hard, especially at the rear - my car is road use only. I've softened the dampers off to 17 and that has helped the ride but it isn't really the solution. About to put some more miles on to see how the suspension settles down (and play with the marvellous 'Alex modified' 997 shift).

I'm also up for a get together of Ohlins cars to compare notes if anyone's interested, it was Dammit's car that set me off on this track, I wouldn't have spent the money without being convinced first.

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back