Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tandem Pump Question

deMort said:
Porschekit said:
Thanks Nick I'll take a look at them.....anybody else got any revealing anecdotes about the good and bad of changing these out? I'll probably do it at my next major service in a month or two.

If you are doing the complete pump yourself then ill list out one or two problems you might have .. if a garage is doing it then i dont need to :D

Thanks deMort....I would't be doing it myself but appreciate the offer... :thumb:

Thefinn said:
easternjets said:
The cover is only a £100 less than whole new pump, bit of a bu''er if you fit the shiny new cover and the pump fails! don't skimp it ain't worth it.

I don't see replacing a part that keeps failing with something of much better quality that won't degrade / rust as skimping. If the pump fails in the future then replace the it but put the ACP cover on the new pump otherwise you will be back up on the ramps in 2/3 years with a rusty leaky cover again, replacing the whole lot.

The choice is yours obviously so do what you feel best. I have one of these which I have been running for a couple of years now and just fitted it to my second 997 with no issue.

I guess the optimum option would be replace the pump from autodoc and then replace the known to fail steel cover with a ACP cover. that way you have the ultimate option and both together would still be cheaper than letting an OPC fit an OE one. :grin: :grin: I have a vague recolection I also needed a silly little pipe when I did mine seem to remember it was only about £30 from OPC but worth doing at the same time . Demort will confirm if thats the case or if I am just getting old and forgetful :grin: :grin: :thumb:

The part number for the turbo is as follows: 997 107 022 72

Is there an alternative to the Porsche part? If so where from? It differs as a pump to the non turbo :(

Mine is a little rusty, not leaking, but would like to replace one day down the line

997 107 022 72

Anyone? Its £800+ from OPC

I have an ACP cover on my turbo. The tandem pump for these is over £1k, so the cover was my first choice. I bought it about 9 months ago and it seems to be okay. The Inside walls are not perfectly smooth, which surprised me, but it is holding up.

Im just going to enhance on this a little , you never poke a screwdriver at it .. let sleeping beasts lie .

it will go damp at first with a leak which will slowly get worse untill it drips .

Ive only ever seen one let go and that was pretty much a trickle of oil .

OPC or indy .. im afraid we all have to report them on inspection these days .. blame the Compensation culture .. if i dont report it and in 6 monthes someone says its damp / needs replaceing then 3 guesses who gets the blame .. yup me ... damp can still mean 1 year plus .

I can easily say if its a problem or not .. but these days even my hands are tied .. if its corroded i just say so .. i cant explain any more than that .

What i will say is on here i can give an honest opinion .. show me a picture and ill say what i think .

Thefinn said:
easternjets said:
The cover is only a £100 less than whole new pump, bit of a bu''er if you fit the shiny new cover and the pump fails! don't skimp it ain't worth it.

I don't see replacing a part that keeps failing with something of much better quality that won't degrade / rust as skimping. If the pump fails in the future then replace the it but put the ACP cover on the new pump otherwise you will be back up on the ramps in 2/3 years with a rusty leaky cover again, replacing the whole lot.

The choice is yours obviously so do what you feel best. I have one of these which I have been running for a couple of years now and just fitted it to my second 997 with no issue.

This.

I too have gone down the ACP replacement cover route for the same sensible reasons as stated by Finn. The quality and fit is excellent - far better than the cheap pressed chinese steel of the original that gives up the ghost long before most of the pumps seem to.

Just out of curiosity, how long on average does a Tandem Pump last for?

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Hard to tell J its the mild steel cover that usually fails long before the pump. its mainly an issue on the 911 as its rear engine and due to the pumps location gets so much road debris and wet which doesnt happen on front engine cars . on the 997.1 many 05,06,07 cars are either already changed or weeping/misting or not far off unless some remedial effort has been made like hammerite or waxoyle etc etc to slow the corrosion process :thumb:

-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

My car is 2005 and I bought it in 2010, so Ive had it 8 years and I have replaced the tandem pump twice in that time.

The first time was a few years into my ownership were the cover had corroded through and the second time was a few months ago, when this time the cover was ok, but the spigot that the vacuum pipe fits onto had corroded and collapsed and I had lost all vacuum assist to the brakes.

If i had have kept the old pump, I could have made up one good one from the two as it was just the cover that had gone on the first one and the cover was ok on the second failure, whilst the vacuum take off spigot that had collapsed is sited on the main body of the pump.

I gave this new one that I just fitted a healthy coating of waxoyl.

When a car is under OPC warranty they will replace it under warranty only when it starts leaking. Read into that what you want.

Windy 101. I presume OPC's are told to replace under warranty only when they actually fail as to do otherwise is an admission by Porsche to yet another design issue with the M96/7 engine. They would be inundated with claims otherwise.

I replaced mine, Pierberg from autodoc, at 12 years, 52k miles, but it wasn't leaking and the indi convinced me it should be changed, then you are shown pictures of it and it looks about 100 years old.

I got suckered in, as looking back, I should have just left it, they get corroded again quite quickly, and until it weeps/leaks it is not a problem. I think I could have got a few more years/miles out of my old one.

I also changed the vacuum line, which was perfectly fine and didn't need replacing - looked like it could have lasted another 50k miles.

Hmmmm...all interesting comments , well received.
I will consult with my trusty Indy very shortly; and just as a FYI, I got a full replacement price from my OPC to do it along with a major service, brake fluid, drive belt, etc and it was no where near £800 (for the pump). I'll keep you posted as I get to choose who does it and how... :thumb:

Porschekit said:
Hmmmm...all interesting comments , well received.
I will consult with my trusty Indy very shortly; and just as a FYI, I got a full replacement price from my OPC to do it along with a major service, brake fluid, drive belt, etc and it was no where near £800 (for the pump). I'll keep you posted as I get to choose who does it and how... :thumb:

thats very interesting that OPC are not quoting £800 for the tandem pump any more , maybe they realised they were seriously overcharging :thumb:

Actually Phil, it's priced on the basis of the "PCGB loyalty card discount", one of the benefits of our local region having a great relationship with a new OPC in our area, that is to say 50% off labour charges (because my car is 9yrs old) and 15% off retail price of parts....

I need to balance this all out in comparison to my local Indy (ex Porsche tech's) who also have excellent prices. I'm getting a quote from them too. Will keep you posted....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back