Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Targa Aberdeen to Stuttgart trip

jwb1380

I joined the 911 club at the end of last year, bought a 997.1 Targa 4S fully loaded. But the dilemma is where can I get it flat out? Ok, so the road trip was planned. Aberdeen to Hull, take the booze ferry to Zeebrugge which is 6pm to 9am, sleep over and full breakie, timing is great. Still a 400mile drive from Aberdeen, we went over Cairn O Mount to kick things off, see photo. It was the same weekend as LeMans24 and that resulted in lots of car exotica on the ferry which was brill fun! After Zeebrugge it was Brussels to visit pals then Paris to visit more pals.

Once pal free it was Reims for Champagne tours, didn't drive the T4S for three days which was fine. We had a great time super recommend Reims, also car museum, which we went to. At that point we ran out of time. We left Reims to be in Stuttgart at 1pm for Mercedes Factory Tour - amazing. 15 x 2hour tours a day free. A masterclass in automation and manufacturing.

Next day from Stuttgart we had to be in Zeebrugge at 5:30pm for last ferry check-in. But the Porsche Museum had to be done. So an hour at Porsche and up the road. What a brill time, letting the T4S stretch it's legs.

We ended up doing 2000miles, 25.5mpg from the computer oil consumption didn't move on the oil level sensor. Very reliable? Amazing result?

Now planning next trip to hopefully get it flatout on the autobahn again. I think the key with these trips is don't spend too much each day in the car. For us in ABZ, we're stuck with a long trip to get south, once in Europe it becomes so much fun.

Hope you enjoy the photos...

JB

PS: I attended a wedding in Loch Ness last w/e. So took the T4S on roads I know. What a blast, over the Lecht to Inverness, This is a quick car when hooked up. Still learning the handling but, wow, it's great fun. :D

Attachments

• targa_wet__1_4_140.jpg
    targa_wet__1_4_140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,053
  • ferry__1_428.jpg
    ferry__1_428.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,053
  • ruinart__1_385.jpg
    ruinart__1_385.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,053
  • merc__1_254.jpg
    merc__1_254.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,053
  • porsche1__1_394.jpg
    porsche1__1_394.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 4,053
  • ferry_home__1_194.jpg
    ferry_home__1_194.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,053
You don't need to travel south when you have the old military road on your doorstep!

They are incredible machines, and you are blessed with some stunning roads. I normally visit family in Ross-shire in the 911 each summer, but not going this year. I'll miss that road. :roll:

Can't beat the Autobahn for a good chance to open it up. Getting flat out is not so easy in my experience. Some days you can only see bursts up to 140+ due to traffic.

G2, you are soo right re the road trip, great fun. It was our first event and almost chucked the towl in thinking what a hassle. Anyway we manned up and went for it and had a ball, now planning next trip.

Local roads are good but wanted some high speed stuff. Cairngorm and Glenshee are mega roads, but still 60mph speed limit :eek:

Did get the T4S up to 160mph but ran out of road, there are nutters on the Autobahn so need to be ready for them. I just booted it in 6th, I should have been more aggressive and dropped to 4th and gone through the gears, I think that would have made a big difference to top speed. Novice on the Autobahn springs to mind. TBH, just great fun sitting around 100-120mph, just cruising and not worrying about the plod.

CS, where are you, we need to meet up and have a coffee. Send a PM and we'll catch up?

JB

:thumb: as ever, it's the closing speed you need to be aware of on those roads. Lots do very high speed but most usually stick to around the 120/130kph mark as you probably saw.

Totally agree about the speeds not needing to be maxed, it losses the buzz after you've done it enough times and it's a public highway Afterall. Mostly you get traffic or roadworks that stop prolonged periods anyway. We did two Long 700km legs on the trip last week with some bursts of over 240kph with no dramas. Mrs drove at what we call high speed compared to the uk but no issues and not very tiring considering the distances covered.

There were a lot more outside lane campers than I've seen before, but that's probably because it was start of holidays and there was noticeably more traffic on the roads.

I do think it's better to mix some mountain twisties into the trip to show the real capabilities of a 911 :worship:

Where are you thinking of next?

Euro trips are brilliant, always get the ferry from Hull either to Rotterdam or Zee depending on the route, usually upgrade the Cain to commodore class which works out at £12.50 each for a Perth of four, well worth the extras, always get an all you can eat breakfast so you are good to go :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back