Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE

s70rjw

Spa-Francorchamps
I've unplugged the PSE on my 997.2. Carrera S. The exhaust note hasn't changed. One of the solenoids is seized too. With that in mind, is the exhaust likely to be in permanent loud mode? Thanks in advance.

Bob :thumb: :sad:

I'm going to say it alll depends if they've failed in the closed or open position. No idea how you check however.

One way of checking is the inside of the exhaust tips. As pictured. This was the actuator stuck in the closed position a few months ago on mine. A bit of high temp grease has fixed them for me.

I think the actuators can be manipulated from under the car (when cold of course :grin: ) without taking the rear off. I had mine fixed at OPC under warranty.

But yes, if you have unplugged the connector the valves should be open permanently.

Attachments

• nearside_147.jpg
    nearside_147.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1,260
I unplugged mine and noticed the difference however only on the move in between the speeds it would normally close (someone out there will know what those speeds are) It won't make it any louder at idle.

I have had my car for a few months now. I bought privately and soon suspected that the PSE was not working as switching it on/off made no difference. After research, investigation, buying a new vacuum valve and actuators I was able to do some fairly easy maintenance as all works perfectly now.
The vacuum actuators are connected to butterfly valves which are inside the two inner/smaller exhaust pipes when looked at from the rear of the car. When the engine is off there is no vacuum and therefore the actuators are in the extended/sprung position which has the butterfly 'open' (PSE on position). Once the engine is running, vacuum is produced and this causes the actuators to withdraw and close the valves – the PSE is now off. When like this, the engine exhaust can be felt coming from the outer/big pipes with minimal/virtually nothing coming from the smaller pipes.
IMG_5195.jpg
[/url]
When the PSE is switched on, the vacuum valve is closed and this the allows the actuators to relax and extend, opening the butterfly valves in the smaller pipes which then allows exhaust to flow through all 4 pipes producing the deeper sports exhaust sound.
[/img]
IMG_5198.jpg
[/url]
[/img]
IMG_5200.jpg
[/url]
First check to see if the vacuum valve is working by disconnecting the 'Y' piece from the valve and switching the PSE on/off. A length of small tube connected in place of the 'Y' will make this easier to sense.
Looking to see if the actuators move with a torch from under the car (not easy) may help you decide what is/what not functioning. It may be that the butterfly valves are stuck (not the case with mine).
I actually found the easiest way to check the whole system was to remove the rear bumper and heat shields (wheel arch liners have to come out to get access to all fixings) which is a fairly easy job just take your time. I had to replace the actuators anyway which can only be done this way.
Hope this helps.[/img]

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back