Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air con condenser replacement?

Iknownothing

Hoping someone can help with my query. Purchased a 12 model year 911in late March 2017 from OPC with the usual 2 year warranty. We informed them in June last year that the air con did not work properly (it wasn't really warm enough for it to be needed until then). They had it back and said they could see no problems with it (even though we knew it was not working properly). Raised the issue again a month later when it was suggested we take it to another garage for them to look at (!?). We did not drive it again until the weather got worse so did not do that. On a recent visit for a service we were told the condensers has damp patches on with a suspected refrigerant leak. Now the air con has stopped working altogether. We are being told the repair will cost over £1000 and not covered under warranty as they don't know if it was caused by a stone or similar. Seems too much of a co-incidence that we said it was never right and now they have found a fault. Should the condenser need replacing on a car with 14000 on the clock? Could it have been damaged like they say? I stupidly through wear and tear was pads etc, not something like this :nooo:

Yes, entirely possible, they sit in the airstream and are not protected. Check with a UV torch and glasses. Although to be honest I'm amazed any garage you took it to didn't do this, real basic stuff.
MC

who did you take it to for them to tell you the repair bill would be over £1k?

If you had it booked in twice and advised of it early on there should be a record of it on their system. I'd push this up the tree to DP as this seems like you're getting the short end of the stick.

kingston said:
who did you take it to for them to tell you the repair bill would be over £1k?

Opc we purchased the car from. 2 weeks ago during a service hey picked up that there were patches in the condensers. We were advised that this is something that would need looking at in the future and it would cost just over £1000. Now, 3 weeks later, the air con is non existent. I realise that the damage could have been caused by something else but seems too much of a co incidence that the air con has never been right.

FZP said:
If you had it booked in twice and advised of it early on there should be a record of it on their system. I'd push this up the tree to DP as this seems like you're getting the short end of the stick.

Agree. All we have is the usual print out that alerts to red, amber or green and last year the air con was a green but I don't know if they looked at the condensers then or just checked that the air con was working and they say they have no record. In fact when we asked them previously how they checked they said they just checked what temp was blowing. Not v impressed with this place. We were sold the car with supposedly 12 months mot and then when we went to tax it 10 months later realised we had been driving it for 9 months with no mot. Apparently they made an error! We were v lucky nothing happened during that period. I think I will be calling Porsche Gb. Thanks for your help.

Just get some new condensers and a regas with someone charging real prices. 3 hour job tops, £100 for condernsers and £50 for the regas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back