Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The ideal gear lever???

maldren

Albert Park
I've just fitted my 997 gear lever assembly as modified by Alex and it's everything I hoped for, a noticeably shorter change than the 996 but not as short (and IMHO as notchy) as the Porsche short shift and with absolutely no play thanks to Alex's marvellous bearings. I guess it's like the 997 GT3 shift.

Strongly recommended.

Mike

+1

:thumb:

Osh

Thanks guys.

Just for everyone's information. What Maldren has here is the standard 997 lever (slightly shorter than the 996 but not as short as an SSK) incorporated into a SSK housing with solid metal bearings. This keeps the standard 997 throw but with a rock solid sustainable solution. :thumbs:

Yes, throw from 1st to 2nd reduced from about 12.5 cm to 10 cm and as Alex says, it's rock solid, amazing how sloppy the 996 original is in comparison when you take it out.

:thumbs:

alex yates said:
Thanks guys.

Just for everyone's information. What Maldren has here is the standard 997 lever (slightly shorter than the 996 but not as short as an SSK) incorporated into a SSK housing with solid metal bearings. This keeps the standard 997 throw but with a rock solid sustainable solution. :thumbs:

Cost ?

Your post infers the shift is no shorter than the standard 997 shift (which makes for a nice reduction in the throw on a 996 in my experience) so what is the benefit in using the SSK housing Alex ?

The original Porsche cradle is all plastic with plastic bearings. The one I do is all Aluminium with steel lever and steel centre shaft running on oilite self lube bearings and the outer shafts made from brass running in phosphor bronze bearings and bearing clearances between 0.01- 0.025mm clearances.

To me, I like the 997 shift and find alternative short shifts too short, also my gearbox is old and doesn't like really quick shifts into 3rd when cold (Having fitted the new lever, I think adjusting the cables may help this, I'll experiment after my summer holidays.)

Alex's mods make the shift really solid, no play at all, I didn't try my 997 shift before Alex's mods but it's way better than the plastic 996 shift in this regard.

This shows the difference....

Attachments

• dsc02321_367.jpg
    dsc02321_367.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 1,177
  • dsc02324_101.jpg
    dsc02324_101.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 1,177

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member