Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen

kg149 said:
Hi

I have the same problem, have a 5 inch crack down the middle right of the screen, in drivers eye line. Seemed to start during the sun (although chip at top of crack).

It is a dilemma for ones pride and joy.
1) OPC Solihull want £600 glass plus £510 fitting, although would get 10%PCGB discount
2) Aviva Insurance will may a max of £185-£75, net £110 if I choose to pick my own supplier
3) Aviva Insurance will allow me to choose Autoglass and pay only a £75 excess

So I rang Autoglass on Satuirday and quoted the 2 cases on this forum of last few weeks where basically Autoglass had
1) fitted NON OEM glass badly
2) returned and fitted OEM glass, again badly
3) sent a experienced master fitter and correctly fitted the OEM glass.

I suggested to the chap on the phone that this was my pride and joy and I was not in a rush, but maybe it would be good if Autoglass could fit OEM glass and simply send an experienced 911 team of master installers to start with. Why not try and do it right first time?

The chap (Tim) agreed with me and wrote all of this as notes and agreed to request from Aviva that they start the process with OEM glass.

I await an updated email, once Aviva have approved this and then the dreaded wait while the OEM glass is obtained.

Anyway all sounds good so far, but it is only words, so await the next stage

watching with interest , if you have issue getting OE glass out of the insurer dont forget to quote my comments from further up the thread :thumb: :thumb:

My story so far:
Waited 10 days for Autoglass to fit the screen. Screen fitted but not done properly
Waited a further 6 days for the job to be redone. Fitter agreed with me that OPC glass is needed.
7 days later and after much chasing Autoglass claims Porsche glass cannot be obtained at the moment and is on back-order.

Car is unusable at the moment, I've been waiting over three weeks and Autoglass has no idea how long I will have to wait for replacement glass.

I'm going to start phoning around for OPC replacement glass and ask Autoglass to foot the bill. Any ideas where to start?

drabux said:
My story so far:
Waited 10 days for Autoglass to fit the screen. Screen fitted but not done properly
Waited a further 6 days for the job to be redone. Fitter agreed with me that OPC glass is needed.
7 days later and after much chasing Autoglass claims Porsche glass cannot be obtained at the moment and is on back-order.

Car is unusable at the moment, I've been waiting over three weeks and Autoglass has no idea how long I will have to wait for replacement glass.

I'm going to start phoning around for OPC replacement glass and ask Autoglass to foot the bill. Any ideas where to start?

first thing I would be doing is getting a rental car supplied by autoglass as they have undertaken a contract and failed to supply leaving your car unusable. I would then discuss with them compensation for your inconvenience. Lastly check that the glass is actually on back order and you cant get it from your local OPC one phone call will tell you if thats the case of if what they are saying is they cant get OE glass at the moment from their preferred suppier that they get huge discounts from and dont want to pay the extra to get it from the OPC and its cheaper to leave you inconvenienced unless you kick up a fuss. I am watching your posts with interest as we now have established most of these glass companies cannot correctly fit 911 glass now what I am waiting to see is if when supplied OE glass they are able to fit it correctly or is it as I and others suspect that to fit 911 glass whether OE or aftermarket it needs two fitters to attempt to duplicate the pressure applied by the jig at the factory to hold it in place until the bonding agent starts to set or if the glass fitters have more equipment at their workshops to be able to rig up a jig to hold the screen in place.

There are few different types of 997 windscreen, a phone to call to any OPC parts department with your chassis number will enable you to find out the correct, up to date part number for the one for your car. The parts department will also be able to tell you if there is any stock either at a main dealer here in the UK, in the warehouse at Reading or in Germany at Porsche AG. They will also be able to confirm the back order situation.

Armed with the part number you could try phoning the likes of Jasmine Porshalink or 9apart in the hope that they have one on the shelf from a load of surplus dealer stock they have purchased, but it's unlikely they will. Failing that your choice will be to either go aftermarket or wait until Porsche gets its act together and commissions another production run.

I had the same problem with my Cayman. Three attempts to get a satisfactory job needing a Porsche original screen, a fitter with experience on how to fit in and an able helper (me) to help position it and apply pressure where directed. It was still not as good as the original factory fit, but it was at least square in the hole and not sticking out in odd places.

Mine took two attempts from National Windscreens, the second with two people to do the job. I'm not convinced that it's exactly perfect now but it's good enough.

Progress Update

Well actually no progress, Just phoned Autoglass customer services for an update as I have patiently waited for 2 weeks for them to contact me.

Update is that they are still awaiting approval from my Insurer for OEM glass, and that as a result of my call, they will chase that up.

There is only one place to get your Porsche screen fitted, Glasstec Paul is your solution, worth paying the extra excess to choose your own supplier/fitter.

kg149 said:
Progress Update

Well actually no progress, Just phoned Autoglass customer services for an update as I have patiently waited for 2 weeks for them to contact me.

Update is that they are still awaiting approval from my Insurer for OEM glass, and that as a result of my call, they will chase that up.

Phoned Autoglass today,
Insurance company have approved OEM glass purchase.
Autoglass have ordered glass.
I need to wait for it arriving

Progress at last

Autoglass rang me.
Glass expected to arrive from Porsche on Monday.
Would I like to book a date to be fitted.

So I have booked Friday 17th August 8am to 12am slot and told to expect the Master Technician and his mate just after 8am as it will be their first job of the day, and yes the Master Technician has fitted 911 glass before.

So we will see

As an aside I took the car out of the garage and for a spin last Saturday and the crack grew by another couple of inches while the car was sat on the drive (in the sun)

Good Luck, it does sound like Autoglass are starting off on the right foot OE glass , 2 techs one of them with 911 experience . keep us posted on how it went . dont forget to take some pics of the glass and seals especially in the top corners so you have a ref to compare when the new one is fitted. :thumb: :thumb:

An update on my situation.
If you remember, I had a poorly fitted/poor quality screen fitted by Autoglass and then given a bit of a runaround. However, I tweeted my experience to Autoglass and all changed within 12 hours:

1. My hire car charges of £480 while I waited for a replacement screen was paid within 24 hours
2. After much phoning around, Autoglass managed to source an OPC quality screen and fit it satisfactorily within 3 days.

I had their most senior local technician fit the screen and he was confident that the Chinese screen they fitted was problem. Customer services were brilliant. Just go to them if you have problems.

Update

Had the dreaded call from AUTOGLASS

glass has not arrived, so we will not be fitting it on Friday

No idea when the glass will arrive

Hi I have good news to share from Solihull

Autoglass came and fitted my new windscreen on Friday 31st August

In summary, as requested it was genuine Porsche glass, I had 2 Autoglass master technicians Wayne and Steve with over 40 years experience between them. Tagging along was Ryan to observe.

I can truly say that they did a brilliant job and the screen has been fitted well. No scratches found by me on either the paint or the dash. Equally the glass is fitted well and looks exactly as it did when I bought the car.

Many thanks for all the advice on this forum, particularly from Phil 997 which ensured that the job has been done well.

7 weeks without driving the car made me use it twice over the weekend.

kg149 said:
Hi I have good news to share from Solihull

Autoglass came and fitted my new windscreen on Friday 31st August

In summary, as requested it was genuine Porsche glass, I had 2 Autoglass master technicians Wayne and Steve with over 40 years experience between them. Tagging along was Ryan to observe.

I can truly say that they did a brilliant job and the screen has been fitted well. No scratches found by me on either the paint or the dash. Equally the glass is fitted well and looks exactly as it did when I bought the car.

Many thanks for all the advice on this forum, particularly from Phil 997 which ensured that the job has been done well.

7 weeks without driving the car made me use it twice over the weekend.

Always happy to help in any small way I can . Great to hear they did a good job :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back