Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Over rev question...

Boxstercol

Trainee
Hiya chaps,

Just a simple question... Will an over rev be logged by hitting the rev limiter whilst accelerating, for example in 2nd gear?

Asking for a friend....

Cheers.

I think it happens when you shift down into the wrong gear e.g. 5 to 2 instead of 4th or similar. Hitting the rev limiter may not be an over rev.
I may be wrong :?:

Yes it will but at the lowest level on the over rev scale. If I recall there are 5 levels on a 997, I have a 996 which only has 2 levels and hitting the limiter counts as an over rev.............changing down is far more damaging and records at the higher levels if you get it wrong.

Downshifting a manual incorrectly is usual cause.
But others depend on engine, 'box, going downhill and 'airtime' .

Everything else being equal, the DME cuts fuelling, but that's not always going to work if you're maxed out on a huge downhill, airborne or trying to shift into 2nd > 100mph in a manual.

You might see ranges 1 and 2 without mechanical over-revving.

Rev range is stored in the cars ECU. In summary it's downshifting to the wrong gear e.g from 5 to 2 when the car is travelling at high speed which then leads to over reving in the below ranges.

Range1 - 6800 - 7000
Range 2 - 7000 - 7200
Range 3 - 7200 - 7400
Range 4 - 7400 - 7900
Range 5 - 7900 - 9000
Range 6 - 9000 and above

Range 3/4 potentially can be an issue but 5/6 more serious especially if within 200 operating hours.

I understand over Rev data on PDk transmission cars are ordinarily not considered to be a concern provided everything else checks out fine.

From what you have described you have not done anything which should give you any concern.

Offcause driving at long periods in the red zone is not good for your car because it is extra strain on your engine but if you are hitting the red line then that's fine. I have done some research on this and these are my conclusions unless someone else disagrees.

Ranges are specific to the engine - Carrera will differ to turbo, GT3 etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back