Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M96 Engine Rebuild time

Cheers for the comments....

Wasz - a new compressor is £180. Not sure it's that, but looks like it's been leaking from a pressure relief valve thing on the side of the housing. Can't see leaks from anywhere else, so I'll give it a go.

Marky - Roads are better ooop north I reckon, but no DeMort on demand!!!

Infrasilver - running in, basic oil 20-30 mins - 20 -30 miles. Not babied and not thrashed or laboured, but something in between to bed in the rings. Brisk, shall we say?

Change oil and filter. (Don't look at it, I'll panic!) Then 2000 miles on a semi synthetic, driven robustly not red lined or full chat by any stretch. Change oil and filter Miller's nano+ good to go.....

If the rings are not bedded in in first 20 mins, then they may polish the honing making the running in process much longer....

That is my understanding anyway.

Couldn't find a cheap mineral oil I liked so have Miller's CRO competition running in oil. Under £40 for 10 litres from Opie Oils.

Interesting article. Thanks.
Lots of opinions and things to think about isn't there?
[/b]

Still not had a chance to start her up yet.

Just a note to say, following a conversation with Grant. The Miller's CRO running in oil maybe a bit aggressive for my needs. The bores are already plateau honed and brushed. So will source some straight mineral oil.My local motor factor has 10w30 Granville Hypalube. So will go with that for the first 20 mins or miles.

Cheers to Asterix again for the article. Reading that and speaking to Grant has given me a better appreciation for what's required

Cheers Bluebird.

Blasted thing won't start!

No fuel at the fuel filter. I did pull the fuel pump fuse to give it a 5 sec crank to check oil pressure. Replaced, but no fuel coming through. I've closed everything. Locked, unlocked several times, in case it's an imobiliser on the alarm system, but no luck.

Any thoughts? Cheers

Ok, were starting with checking the fuel pump........

Hi Infra, thanks,

Only have a cheap code reader. But it connects. Showing no DTC or I/m codes.

It is a possibility, as we snagged the crank sensor wire getting the engine out. I did check it for continuity, which was ok. Pin 1 to Pin 3. Resistance was around 950ohms which was a little high I thought.

DeMort thinking fuel supply should not be dependent on getting a crank signal, so trying fuel pump first.

I'll get it out and bench test it.

Do we think 5 months without use may have seized the pump? I'm sure I saw a post saying someone had encountered a similar issue in the same circumstances.??

You should get a few second pump prime without having to crank the engine when you first turn the ignition on, do you?

Hi Carfixer,

No, but then I have never heard a pump come on that I remember.

Is there anyone with an early cable throttle 996 that can answer that one?

Fuel pump seems ok. I used a jumper wire across the relay pins which switched the pump on. I could hear it running which it didn't before, and there is now fuel in the injector rail which was dry.

I tested the relay with multimeter and a fused jumper wire onto the battery. I could hear it clicking.

Is there a pressure switch in the fuel system? If not, I can't see that the pump would prime then cut off until the engine cranks?

Crank sensor next? The tachometer never flinched when cranking. Or something else you reckon?

Cheers Jim

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back