Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman S/GTS - 981

krispe said:
I have a Cayman GTS PDk :mrgreen:

I also have a 997.1S which I have had for 4 years and loved. However it will be up for sale when I finally get it back from Hartech... Whilst it was there I fell in love with a bright yellow GTS and bought it...Only had it for just over a month but love it 8)

Another convert :thumb: ...... the 981 GTS is and will be regarded as one of the best sports cars ever built :) ......... especially given the Evo review of the 718 GTS just out (see my boxster journal for reference).

Behave ! You are just making me feel worse that I have car lust and no £££ to go out and satisfy it just at the moment!

The GTS would get my vote ....it's everything a 911 should be ....plus it goes better and sounds tremendous ...better than the S.....

It's only man logic ...if you bu6 the S , you will wish you had bought the GTS .....

Just look at the pic o& the yellow GTS Andri to find any argument against it ...?

'You know it makes sense'......

I was originally looking at S's but ended up stretching to a GTS as it's the car I always wanted. I know it's just a 'well specced S' but it feels more special. I love the GTS interior, mine has the contrasting grey stitching and alcantara which definitely holds me more in place when cornering hard especially on track, (compared to my full leather 997 sport seats). I love all the black decals, dark tinted lights, wheels etc just make it look more aggressive. It sounds amazing too. On my recent Scotland North Coast 500 trip with 20 cars, it got loads of compliments from everyone that it looked (and sounded) just awesome. 8)

I've just added zunsport grills, 12mm wheel spacers and just ordered X73 anti-roll bars from Porsche, (my GTS has PASM not the X73 Sports Suspension).

I assume you are experiencing too much body roll then! Be interested to know how you get on with the uptrated roll bars and their cost.

The wheel spacers will be interesting. I must admit I've never thought the 981 GTS needed them with 20 inch wheel. I used to be well into my alloys running many split rim, big dish, large offset wheels.

As I've never felt they where needed I never really looked into the option but simply from washing the car and wheels I'd be worried about 12mm offset being added to the front for clearance on full lock ?

I assume you'll be fitting longer thread for those to fit as well ?

Is this a proven fit or are you just trying them to see if they will fit ?

JonnyBaddeley said:
I assume you are experiencing too much body roll then! Be interested to know how you get on with the uptrated roll bars and their cost.

Car feels great on the road but I took the GTS on track at Donnington a few weeks ago, (just for a quick afternoon session). Compared to my 997 it just seemed to roll more than I'd like. However my 997 does have Eibach springs, H&R rollbars, DSC Sport PASM and GT3 lower arms. (The DSC PASM made the biggest difference on track.)

Pretty sure the X73 rollbars, which are solid rather than hollow and about 25-30% stiffer than the standard PASM bars, will be all I need. I may look to later add a DSC PASM module to the GTS as it really keeps the car flat on track in cornering and braking.

Front and rear X73 bars plus new bushes were £360inc vat from Porsche Silverstone.

Sorry for original thread hyjack (I'll post a 'my new to me GTS thread soon instead' :wink: )

jonttt said:
The wheel spacers will be interesting. I must admit I've never thought the 981 GTS needed them with 20 inch wheel. I used to be well into my alloys running many split rim, big dish, large offset wheels.

As I've never felt they where needed I never really looked into the option but simply from washing the car and wheels I'd be worried about 12mm offset being added to the front for clearance on full lock ?

I assume you'll be fitting longer thread for those to fit as well ?

Is this a proven fit or are you just trying them to see if they will fit ?

Proven fit I contacted Jens at Ehresmann Automotive https://www.facebook.com/9x1.org/ He actually suggested 15mm with a more aggressive alignment if I was tracking the car. I did fit longer bolts to match. My 997 has the same spacers and it made the car look just right.

krispe said:
JonnyBaddeley said:

Car feels great on the road but I took the GTS on track at Donnington a few weeks ago, (just for a quick afternoon session). Compared to my 997 it just seemed to roll more than I'd like. However my 997 does have Eibach springs, H&R rollbars, DSC Sport PASM and GT3 lower arms. (The DSC PASM made the biggest difference on track.)

Pretty sure the X73 rollbars, which are solid rather than hollow and about 25-30% stiffer than the standard PASM bars, will be all I need. I may look to later add a DSC PASM module to the GTS as it really keeps the car flat on track in cornering and braking.

Front and rear X73 bars plus new bushes were £360inc vat from Porsche Silverstone.

Sorry for original thread hyjack (I'll post a 'my new to me GTS thread soon instead' :wink: )

My 997 was on the factory sports suspension and had very little roll, but I generally found the set up too harsh on our roads, even more so than my coilovered and polybushed e36 m3. Can't wait to get mine now, gonna be a long week.

Hi guys
I have owned (and cherished) a guards red 2015 Porsche cayman gts for about 1.5 years now. It is magnificent !!!!.I will be keeping this car for ever....it has everything looks sound performance its all there ,and it has a proper boxter flat six engine in it......It gets positive looks comments everywhere it goes Awesome :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Attachments

• 012_142.jpg
    012_142.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,592
I made the same move Feb 2017.. From a MY2000 996 Turbo to a low mileage (5k) well specced 981 Cayman S.. The BIGGEST change / surprise was the interior.. The Cayman S is just such..a..nice..place..to...be..in.. After spending 2.5 years and 55,000 miles in the 996 that interior started to grate on me.. The 981 Cayman S interior is like The Ritz compared to the 996,but then I spose that'll be the 14 year age gap between the 2.. I've done 35,000 miles in it since Feb 2017.. Great little car.. From the 996 Turbo,the Cayman so cheeaap to run.. Servicing every 20k as opposed to 10k on the 996 which involved a minor and then a MAJOR £1,000+ service.. OPC Cayman S Sevice = £600.. Averages 32-34 mpg 21mpg on a Hoon / 'Spirited Driving'
32mpg at 100mph..

Couple of pointers that people get obsessed about when comparing S to GTS
I got mine rolling roaded when I got it mapped and in standard trim mine pushed out 337bhp,2bhp more than the GTS and 280ft/lb torque,same as a GTS.. So I wouldn't worry about the 'extra' 15bhp you're sposed to get with the GTS.. With regards to wheel spacers and handling,may I suggest a CAT driving course which I went on via here 911uk,earlier on in the year which gave me more confidence in 'myself' as well as the car.. Shortly after doing this course I went on another Sunday morning Hoon after which I overheard the owner of a well specced 4WD Golf R32 Mk 6?,complain that he nearly lost / crashed his car trying to keep up with me thru the country lanes and roundabouts.. If you know / learn how to drive,the car handles exceedingly well,straight out the box..
It's a great lil car.. Does everything it says on the tin and then some.. Mine's Pdk,will never go back to manual after this,and the only thing mine doesn't have is the PSE,but I'll be getting round that next week end ;-)
Only thing I miss about the 996T is the torque,but that was tuned to 550bhp & 550 ft/lb Torque..
Hope this lil write up helps you in your decision making..
Unfortunately the site won't let me load a picture of it.. But suffice to say it's a stunning Yellow :)

Thanks for that - I have my fingers crossed that I can sell my current car and then get shopping!

Saw a very nice Cayman S this week - just need some £££ to be able to have a serious look

mikeluke said:
Thanks, guys - that ties with my head/wallet thinking - itching to get back into a Porsche but need the £££ from sale of the 996T to be able to move forward. Other piece of advice that I have had is that the leather seats in the S are a better choice than the alcantara in the GTS in terms of wear - some GTS's get the de-specced option of leather but quite rare

When we chose the alcantara delete option it was becuase we weren't too impressed with the quality of the fit in other cars (albeit 991s) in the showroom. Anyhow, it was more of a 're-spec' option as all of the areas which would otherwise be alcantara are done in leather instead. It was possible to do the delete on just the steering wheel, which we thought about too because this is particularly sensitive to showing use. For some reason the full leather option also deleted the GTS stitching in the headrests. Not that that particularly mattered to us. What makes the GTS package so good - to my mind - is that all those (not strictly necessary) options work very well together and do i think justify the cost. Plus you get the GTS front PU which in my view looks a lot better than that on a standard 981. Nothing wrong with the standard cars - just i think they really nailed it with the GTS. Are they mileage sensitive - who knows?? I've never noticed a high miles one on sale at a Porsche centre to be able to make a comparison! Lastly, we have a friend with an S with all the standard GTS options which he specced and bought before the GTS package was announced. His too is a beautifully balanced car and is what convinced us we wanted the same options - which lead you down only one path back in 2015...

One last comment is that I think ti would be tough not to be happy with any 981 - they out-handled pretty much any comparable car of the time and probably still would today. But... if you can possibly hold out for one option it is this: full leather. The reason is that the leather covered dash really lifts the interior over the standard plastic. And there is a lot of plastic worth hiding. Another nice interior option is the body colour inserts along the dash and doors. It was one of the cheaper ones too and I think is another nice touch to make the interior feel very special.

Good luck :thumbs:

Junky said:
....................... Mine's Pdk,will never go back to manual after this ........

Unfortunately the site won't let me load a picture of it.. But suffice to say it's a stunning Yellow :)

Another auto convert :thumb:

Have this one on me Junky. Are you going on another driving course to show you how to park it straight? :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back