Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help, engine smoking and burning

Where about in Dorset are you?

My water pump failed not that long ago, quite easy to change over yourself if you're able to follow instructions.

Make sure you go for the low temp thermostat if you're going to change it.

Leon1davies said:
Where about in Dorset are you?

My water pump failed not that long ago, quite easy to change over yourself if you're able to follow instructions.

Make sure you go for the low temp thermostat if you're going to change it.

I'm Bournemouth too. I'll drop you a PM

A blowing exhaust will allow air into the exhaust system .. the lambda sensors get confused by the very lean reading due to this air and you will get a fault code .
You said you were waiting on an exhaust to come in stock , hence its logical to assume you have an exhaust leak and an eml due to that.

Thats why i think the eml light is a seperate fault due to an exhaust leak .

The oil is very clean and new looking .. no magic im afraid .. it looks like 3k old oil on the dipstick :D

Steam is very similar to oil smoke so easy to confuse , burning smell is probably the drive belt rubbing or just the coolant on the exhaust and the steam ..

If you have never smelt hot antifreeze then you could well say its a burning smell ... itrs very pungent.

Over heat is not so good , did it hit the max or just read hot ?

Overall and Porsche engines are pretty good when they get a little hot , its not like a few years ago on other makes when an over heat means warped heads .

That in a worst case senario is a possible .. but we are talking pretty rare .. possible .. but atm i would say dont worry about it .. and i think you are already worrying enough as it is .

For now .. and im of the opinion it is , then its just a waterpump .. dont get an ulcer over this as you have 2 weeks till its even looked at .. worrying isnt good for you .. especially if its for nothing .

Car needs to be recovered .. as you say .. not good to drive it .

Another oil/filter is not needed .

Again a thermostate is not needed , it wont be damaged by this .. might need a drive belt depending on if its rubbed or is old as they will be removeing it to do the pump so only parts cost really .

As they say .. a picture paints a thousand words .. and as i cant see your cars a picture helps me a hell of a lot :D

Thanks again, deMort. I'll be able to sleep a little easier now.

In terms of temperature I didn't notice and in a panic just stopped without checking the temp and just thought the worst.

Belt looks old so I'll do that too :thumb:

Drama over, water pump and belt replaced. Appears to be no other damage.

Thanks again all, I'll be able to sleep now :D

Great news and much respect to DeMort for the accurate diagnosis from behind a keyboard :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

deMort said:
The car also had an oil / filter change approx 3k miles ago.

Jedi Master :starwars:

How does he do it :?:

Another one for the "deMort Appreciation Thread" :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back