Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reassurance needed. Noisy 991.1 3.4 engine.

APL911

Hi all

I'm completely in love with my 3.4 Manual.

However I'm becoming increasingly paranoid that the engine sounds quite agricultural.

I know these engines make a bit of a clatter, but can you watch the link below and let me know if mine sounds ok to you?

Please only informed opinions as I don't need to be wound up any more than I already am! :grin:

https://youtu.be/Jt7jgCsAO8A

Although I have a 3.8, my car doesn't sound a million miles different than yours. Rattle and clatter all day long at idle, particularly during this hot weather.

So long as there are no noticeable strange noises at high rpm, don't think there is anything to worry about.

is It under Porsche warranty?
If so could you take it in with such a query - like you could exaggerate it a bit to get them to plug it in to diagnostics. That's gotta be peace of mind.

I also have a 3.4 Manual 991.1

You have nothing to worry about, that is completely normal. Mine sounds the same and has done since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. It's been serviced / modifies by OPC and Northway and neither have raised any issue.

Funny thing is, I often go away for extended periods and drive other cars in that time and always have the same thought as you when I start the car up after a while.

Cheers Mark :thumb:

The 991.1 manual is quite a rare car.

How do you like yours?

I think they are absolutely superb. :worship:

I do wish mine was a little less rattley though. Sitting in traffic with the windows down it sometimes sounds like a diesel at idle.

Having said that, there are no nasty noises through the rev range, and it sounds epic at high RPM with the PSE open. 8)

Yes I love mine, the manual gearbox is fantastic, way better than the 997.2 - not sure what all the negative press was about.

I've got an aftermarket exhaust on mine so there's a nice rumble at idle now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back