Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rob's seal grey C2 update thread.....

A very nice looking and tastefully 'customised" 997.1 you have there Rob!
A true credit to you.
Really like that :thumb:

adamw said:
A true credit to you.

:agree:

Looks great in the pics. Looked even better at Donington yesterday. :thumb:

T8 said:
adamw said:
A true credit to you.

:agree:

Looks great in the pics. Looked even better at Donington yesterday. :thumb:

Thanks Terry. Nice to meet you yesterday.

rob_p said:
Thanks. The car is set to "porsche performance" ride height which is 10mm lower than pasm as I recall. The work was done by centre gravity when i had the ohlins installed. I am more concerned by ride comfort and I wouldn't want it any lower.
I did have some spacers fitted pre the new wheels - I though these sat just fine (the fronts are a touch wide I think).

Tell me I'm wrong but if the à–hlins are height and damping adjustable, could you not lower them without compromising ride comfort? Even if it is a bit of a PITA...

That being said, this is a lovely car. Really well thought out.

MaxA said:
rob_p said:
Thanks. The car is set to "porsche performance" ride height which is 10mm lower than pasm as I recall. The work was done by centre gravity when i had the ohlins installed. I am more concerned by ride comfort and I wouldn't want it any lower.
I did have some spacers fitted pre the new wheels - I though these sat just fine (the fronts are a touch wide I think).

Tell me I'm wrong but if the à–hlins are height and damping adjustable, could you not lower them without compromising ride comfort? Even if it is a bit of a PITA...

That being said, this is a lovely car. Really well thought out.

I am no expert on this stuff (which I why I got centre gravity to sort it out) but I would think the lower it is the less suspension travel is left and therefore the more the ride comfort is compromised. Per above the car is lower than standard pasm and the shocks are set to maximum comfort (softness).
Someone will probably be along to give a more technical explanation.....

As an aside, both of the major jobs on this car (engine and suspension) have given me huge confidence in the car - just being able to drive it without worrying about stuff going wrong.

I don't think you need to compromise ride comfort if you lower the car as with à–hlins the ride height is independent from the spring tension. But it's not a quibble, there's no need to slam it and grind your way over speed bumps and such.

It seems to me that a 9971 with an engine rebuilt by Hartech and properly set up on à–hlins might just be the secret sweet spot. You might have some headroom in the budget for the choice mods like the ducktail and Fuchs rims and so on, unlike my 9972 where man maths is required to justify the mods. :grin:

MaxA said:
I don't think you need to compromise ride comfort if you lower the car as with à–hlins the ride height is independent from the spring tension. But it's not a quibble, there's no need to slam it and grind your way over speed bumps and such.

It seems to me that a 9971 with an engine rebuilt by Hartech and properly set up on à–hlins might just be the secret sweet spot. You might have some headroom in the budget for the choice mods like the ducktail and Fuchs rims and so on, unlike my 9972 where man maths is required to justify the mods. :grin:

That's correct, with à–hlins you shorten the body of the damper to lower - it has no effect on ride at all...although you would need another alignment if you lowered it more so i'd leave it be if you're happy with it.

Nice looking car :thumb:

Great thread and great looking car! I really like the mods you have done. Especially how it all goes together.

I'm in the same situation now as you where a couple of years ago. I recently purshased a 997 C2. I love the car and am looking forward to making it my own with a few mods. I am thinking suspension and a new set of wheels to start with. As it got PASM I'm probably going with Bilstein Damptroinics B16. Eventually I will get an engine rebuild, for the peace of mind and for long term. I'm intrested in what the other engine related advisories you had done where. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks.

Hi!
Love what you've done to the 997 - today I'm finally back in a 997 after 3 years in an e90 m3 and 3 years before that in a 996tt! I'm very excited about finally having an NA 997 and making it my own.

I've been looking at the 911design ducktail and also the induction - couple of questions for you - brill if you can help!

- what cold air kit do you use? Is it one from design911 that cuts off the resonator chamber but keeps the stock airbox?
- on the ducktail, I love the big intake grills - but what happens to the water when it rains?
- could I ask how much it was to get the ducktail sprayed?

Not sure if you've done this yet but the 997SSK short shift kit was amazing in my old boxster and the 996tt - I've ordeted one of those already for my new car - definitely one to consider if you don't have

Big thanks, and awesome car! Inspiring!

Cheers
James

rob_p said:
Evening all,
Car is back from the bodyshop - very happy with it....
Next question is the carrera side script (a la '72) and the Fuchs..... Hmmm....
Thoughts welcome!

IMG_20160219_162813360_HDR_zpsdjzevktc.jpg

IMG_20160219_162833870_zpsvnxlvmpk.jpg

IMG_20160219_162711241_zpszuhitkxt.jpg

IMG_20160219_162759340_zpsw7dtnp8a.jpg

rob_p said:
Evening all.....

It's been a while since the last update - car has been running very well with fairly minimal running costs (just as well as I spent a small fortune in the first 2 years!).

I have been thinking about installing these Carrera side decals for a while now and this completes the "RS homage". I thought people might be interested to see what it looks like with the fuchs, ducktail and Carrera side script. I love the sport classic and the 73 RS so this is my attempt at something similar (in terms of looks at least!).

With very mixed emotions I am thinking of putting my car up for sale.
I have always fancied a targa and I have seen one that fits the bill.
I would appreciate some thoughts on what I should ask/accept.
I have personally spent £30,000 in 5 years of ownership. I don't expect to get all of that back by any stretch but I would hope that some of it would add some value....
A full hartech engine rebuild (£10.5k) and ohlins coilovers installed by centre gravity (£4K) being the main ones.
All of the visual upgrades are easily reversible if they are not to the next buyers taste. (I have all the parts).
Car has just done 80.000 miles and will need a full service later this year.
To the best of my knowledge everything else is A1.

Appreciate any thoughts on value and if by chance anyone is interested in it please PM me.

Thanks
Rob

put deposit down on another last Friday and i would have bought yours in a shot Rob - shame! GLWTS

rob_p said:
rob_p said:
Evening all.....

It's been a while since the last update - car has been running very well with fairly minimal running costs (just as well as I spent a small fortune in the first 2 years!).

I have been thinking about installing these Carrera side decals for a while now and this completes the "RS homage". I thought people might be interested to see what it looks like with the fuchs, ducktail and Carrera side script. I love the sport classic and the 73 RS so this is my attempt at something similar (in terms of looks at least!).

With very mixed emotions I am thinking of putting my car up for sale.
I have always fancied a targa and I have seen one that fits the bill.
I would appreciate some thoughts on what I should ask/accept.
I have personally spent £30,000 in 5 years of ownership. I don't expect to get all of that back by any stretch but I would hope that some of it would add some value....
A full hartech engine rebuild (£10.5k) and ohlins coilovers installed by centre gravity (£4K) being the main ones.
All of the visual upgrades are easily reversible if they are not to the next buyers taste. (I have all the parts).
Car has just done 80.000 miles and will need a full service later this year.
To the best of my knowledge everything else is A1.

Appreciate any thoughts on value and if by chance anyone is interested in it please PM me.

Thanks
Rob

Evening all.
Having bought a 991 in November and held onto both cars since them I think it is time for me to make a proper decision and with a heavy heart I think it the 997 will have to go.
Per last post, owned by me for 6 years and LOTS of money spent - I think this qualifies as a well sorted car!

I am thinking somewhere in the region of £28k. Am I kiddingly myself or is that fair value?

If anyone is interested then feel free to PM me.
I will get an add sorted in the next few weeks but be great to see it go to a forum member.
Thanks all!

Time for an update on this one...

In one of lifes twists and turns after 12 months I sold the 991 - and kept the 997.
Ultimately, I found myself coming back to the 997 and decided that
I preferred it as a drivers car - it's not perfect but i love it and just didn't want to get rid of it - so off the 991 went.

In terms of activity with the 997 - it has been fairly low profile - i only did 1,300 miles in the last year but i am now back using it more regularly.
I had a little trouble over xmas with a mis-fire - which is featured here:
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1523920#1523920

I am getting more into tackling jobs on the car myself and really enjoying it.

I also had the front cooling hoses replaced last year so i have made sure the maintenance has been kept on top of - and did an oil and filter change in Dec (DIY).

Last week I took the back to Centre Gravity to have the standard Ohlins road and track springs (now generally considered too hard for everyday uk roads) replaced with some softer ones.
I have only really driven it home so far but it definitely feels like an improvement and i am hoping this is now it for the suspension - having spent around £5,000-£6,000 since i bought the car on various suspension changes and upgrades.
Pete at CG also recommended some new front tyres since mine have been on since 2013 when i bough the car - loads of tread left but probably starting to go off a little and Pete felt that wouldn't be helping the ride quality. So that will be the next job.

Attachments

• 997_at_cg_150.jpg
    997_at_cg_150.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,720
Hi a just a quick update.
i recently fitted a new gear knob. having searched for a while and looked at the Porsche items which are quite expensive i spotted this which was featured on youtube channel Carfanatic.

https://ixigears.com/shop/ols/products/the-3-ring

It shipped from the USA but import duty, vat etc was just under £30 so the total cost was around £100.
I am really happy with it - it feels very solid being machined from aluminium.
Its a bit cold in the winter (but soon warms up) and i suspect might get quite hot in the summer but i'll see how i get on.
Just thought others might be interested.

Also - i have read many features which say that the gear knob is held on with compression. that's not really my experience. try as hard as i might i could not pull the existing one off. in the end i popped the top cap off and spotted that there are two plastic clips which slot into the sides of the gear lever shaft. these plastic clips need to pry outwards to release the knob. in my case (and it looked factory standard) there was mastic down either side of the plastic plastic clips - making it very difficult (impossible?) for them to be pushed outwards. i pulled as much of the mastic out as i could and the gear knob just came straight off.
if the "just pull really hard" method isnt working - try this!

Attachments

• img_20200413_150540_530.jpg
    img_20200413_150540_530.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 2,197
  • img_20200413_150606_823.jpg
    img_20200413_150606_823.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,197
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply in my other thread on Fuchs-style wheels.
So these are pics of the car fitted with the 18" rims from Kersher ?
Thanks
Alan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back