Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New owner what initial maintenance is suggested

I would rather work on a Porsche than a Range rover any day of the week !!

I would also consider the Porsche to be easier to work on ..

Workshop manuals can be downloaded here btw ...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

You're best to do oil changes every 5-6k miles and might be worth now considering an oil like Millers 10w40.

Check the door/windoiw seals and you may want to use something like gummy pledge rubber care stick. Helps keep them healthy and will also stop your windows sticking to the rubber in high heat/cold. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Stick-100ml/dp/B007TNOQDI

If you consider changing the coolant or when you come to change the water pump I would consider fitting a low temp thermostat. It's definitely worth replacing the water pump before it fails.

Take the front bumper off and clean out the condensers which will probably be full of leaves and dirt...if you don't it can corrode them and you'll end up with AC leaks.

If you need to bring the cab roof back to life then consider a product called renovo...great at restoring and protecting the hood. Good packages/prices on amazon but here's their site http://www.renovointernational.com

and fit some mesh to cover the air intake and prevent further debris from filling the condensors.

Thanks again all for the suggestions have a plan now. Also thanks for the links to the workshop manuals very useful

Indy for a minor service and a look over
Gearbox oil and filter change and front diff indy or myself once researched more.
Check the coils for cracks and have a look at the plugs and if old looking replace.
Check drain plugs and under liners for rust etc
Check brake pipes although mot done a week ago had no advisories so hopefully ok. Same for suspension components but will jack up and have a poke and shake.
Check for power steering line issues as suggested
Check belt and probably replace and pumps.
Hood needs a refresh so will look at the renovo stuff
Front bumper off and clean out and fit mesh over intakes to keep clean
Rear bumper off and check exhaust for seam splits

Then onto the fun stuff such as new double din sat nav dab radio bluetooth etc. Get the on board computer working with a new stalk or dash button, same for cruise control. Will be hitting up the search function for these. Find a toddlers seat that fits the back seats too so i can use it!

Couple of other questions if i may.
How would i know if the water pump could be on its way out other than it not spinning freely?
Do you need to replace the spark plug tubes or can you just get the o rings? :thumb:

If your going to pull the plugs to look at them then you might as well just replace them .

Brake pipes under panels will not be noticed on an MOT .. they are not allowed to remove anything to check items and the n/s under the L shaped panel is a VERY common place for them to rust through.

If they have then you have 2 options and im not getting into an argument over what i say here with anyone that doesnt think this is correct ( not OP )

You can replace them but if its the o/s/r one then its an engine out job , or you can do a cut and join which if you have the equipment is an alternative to a very expensive job .

Pas pipe and i expect its already been done but its a simple jubilee clip over the cracked ferrul .. this will last donkeys years .

Waterpump will have movement on the pully side to side .. its pretty obvious basically .
You spin the drive belt pullys .. a whine or a bearing noise and replace them .

You can check the exhaust silencers without removeing the pu / bumper .

You can clean out the rad ducts without removeing the pu/bumper .. use an air line or a hoover .

You can just replace the plug tube seals if you wish .. but the tubes are pretty cheap so i have always replaced them as well .

I use Porsche white grease on the seals when fitting , it helps seal and makes it easier to push them in .. you dont have to though .

I would advise having a very good look at the brake pipes. Everything on my 996 from just behind the front wheels to the back of the car needed replacing. I recently replaced my clutch and was able to do the pipe that runs over the top of the engine/gearbox area with just the gearbox out. I don't think it could be done without removing the gearbox. I used kunifer, as it will last forever, whereas if i had put a Porsche replacement steel pipe in there it would be f@cked again within 15 years, even if it did keep the show and shine brigade happy.

I would also say that anything that you unbolt from the car, bolt it back on again with a stainless steel bolt rather than an OEM spec bolt. Just get the sizes from the Design 911 website in the parts diagrams, then buy the bolts on Ebay.

Thanks martin i will give them a good check over. Has to do them on my range rover which is a lot newer than the porsche and did them all in kinifer cupronicol which is easier to bend and shape than steel and to flare. Sounds a bit more difficult if i need to patch onto the steel though!

Having bought the 101 projects for your 911 ive decided to skip the indy and do the sevice myself. If the car had 100% history it eould be different but its been stored for a couple of years in the past so is missing 2 or 3 stamps. Im thinking if i keep it for a while, as i intend too, the fact that its been self serviced would ok. I intend to keep all invoices and document whats been done. Does this seem like a stupid idea and im just going to rule out getting a decent price and being able to ever sell it again??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back